The Olympics Soccer Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Olympics Soccer Thread

Prime Time said:
Alotta games today, but I don't know all the scores so I'll let Ice post that If he knows. Argentina is winning 6-0 right now. :woot: and are favs. to win the whole thing. I think they will, they brought a rather strong side. Mexico today tied to Mila 0-0! :roflmao:

Mexicans were saying that their sub-20 team is better than their "A" team.I don't see how Argentina doesn't win gold medal.I think African teams will be more of a problem than Europeans teams for Argentina.I wasn't that impressed by Italian team and let me not talk about the sub-20 European runners up.

Hey Primetime:

Are you a fan of Boca Juniors or River?

or

You follow peruvian league more?

Maradonna(at his best) is better than any other player I have ever seen at their best. Of course he did not sustain it like you said, but his peak was higher than any other, bar Pelé because I never saw him.

All I'm saying is that had George Best been born English....

Also, I was responding to "Maradonna? Not very good" more than I was comenting on Tevez.

What i mean is that I think the guy was saying Tevez is not as good as Maradona when he said "Maradona? Not that good." IE: Tevez is not as good as Diego.

minus said:
Mexicans were saying that their sub-20 team is better than their "A" team.I don't see how Argentina doesn't win gold medal.I think African teams will be more of a problem than Europeans teams for Argentina.I wasn't that impressed by Italian team and let me not talk about the sub-20 European runners up.

Hey Primetime:

Are you a fan of Boca Juniors or River?

or

You follow peruvian league more?

I follow both leagues a good amount. More so for Argentina though.

Mebeverine said:
Pass me whatever the hell you are smoking...

You're 16 years old and yet you can tell me as a fact that Maradona is better than Pele? Give me a break.

*Argentina won the World Cup without Maradona in 1978.
*He won the Argentine Championship with Boca.
*He broke his ankle at Barcelona and joined Napoli without really living up to the hype.
* There he was a hero and had his great moment in the 1986 World Cup, which he dominated.
* In 1990 he didn't win the World Cup.
* 1991 he gets banned from football, after serving his ban he demands to move to Spain
* He was a disaster at Sevilla.
* In 1993 he quits Newells Old Boys
* In 1994 he is banned again.

He doesn't even compare to Pele. He did it at Napoli, I'll give you that. But he played in an Argentina side that still won without him, and featured such "sorry players" as Jorge Valdano, Mario Kempes and Daniel Passarella.

Maradona showed flashes and had he sustained his ability throughout his career, would have probably been right up there with Pele. However, he didn't, Pele did.

What? He did live up to the "hype" in Napoli. He dominated games by himself. First you say he didn't then you say he did. Which side are you going to take. Valdano and Kempes were good but nothing super. Passarella, I'll agree with you on. According to you he isn't up there with Pele, yet so many people consider him next to, or right under, or EVEN above him even though you said he showed flashes. I guess those flashes impressed people to say he is right net to Pele. El Diego is the best player EVER.

What? He did live up to the "hype" in Napoli. He dominated games by himself. First you say he didn't then you say he did. Which side are you going to take.

No I said he left Barce without living up to the hype. You can't join someone (Napoli) and have already not lived up to the hype (at that club), that doesn't make sense. He didn't live up to the hype at the club he left.

Valdano and Kempes were good but nothing super.

Kempes nothing super? He almost single handedly won a World Cup...he was awesome. The best striker in Spanish football since Di Stefano and rivaled since only by Ronaldo.

According to you he isn't up there with Pele, yet so many people consider him next to, or right under, or EVEN above him even though you said he showed flashes. I guess those flashes impressed people to say he is right net to Pele. El Diego is the best player EVER.

No, those are generally

a) people with a vested interest in Maradona (such as you)
b) people who can't bear to go with the norm (can't comment)
c) people who didn't see Pele (such as you)

Pele is the greatest by a long, long way. I've never met ANYONE with a respected opinion on football who lived through seeing Pele and Maradona who says Maradona is better.

Now he might well be the most talented player ever born, but he wasn't freakin close to being the best ever.

Mebeverine said:
No I said he left Barce without living up to the hype. You can't join someone (Napoli) and have already not lived up to the hype (at that club), that doesn't make sense. He didn't live up to the hype at the club he left.

Kempes nothing super? He almost single handedly won a World Cup...he was awesome. The best striker in Spanish football since Di Stefano and rivaled since only by Ronaldo.

No, those are generally

a) people with a vested interest in Maradona (such as you)
b) people who can't bear to go with the norm (can't comment)
c) people who didn't see Pele (such as you)

Pele is the greatest by a long, long way. I've never met ANYONE with a respected opinion on football who lived through seeing Pele and Maradona who says Maradona is better.

Now he might well be the most talented player ever born, but he wasn't freakin close to being the best ever.

I believe Tommy Smyth said Maradona over Pele.

An American Broadcaster?

No offense, but that won't cut it.

The most knowledgable football experts are the European critics, because football is life here. You can't get away with not knowing it inside out. Joe Public here knows more about football than Joe Public in the America's. Pele didn't even play over here while Maradona did and STILL 99% of European hacks and ex players will tell you Pele was a lot better.

But either way that's irrelevant.

When a Maradona fan comes close to finding anything which rivals Pele's record, I'll accept that he was better. In case you haven't familiarized yourself with Pele's record (which wouldn't surprise me, since you haven't ever seen him), here it is:

1958 FIFA World Cup in Sweden: winner. Sets the world a light at 17.
1959 Copa America: finalist
1959 Top goalscorer in Copa America (9 goals) (18, nearly 19 years old)
1970 FIFA World Cup in Mexico: winner

92 caps for Brazil and scored 97 goals. he didn't even play as a centre forward all the time! Far from being an out and out frontman, he was more in the role of someone like Raul at stages in his career.

He also scored 1281 goals in 1363 matches.

In 1999, Pele was voted Sportsman of the Century by the world's National Olympic Committee's despite never being in the Olympics. He won a similar award in 1980. In 2000 he came second only to Ali.

Out of this world. There will never ever be anyone better.

Honestly Meverine. Smyth is Irish, not America. And 2nd of all Pele is not the best...Maradona. That is my opinion and I will not change it.

I've watched some of Pele old games and in my opinion he is the best to ever play the game.

Mebeverine said:
An American Broadcaster?

No offense, but that won't cut it.

The most knowledgable football experts are the European critics, because football is life here. You can't get away with not knowing it inside out. Joe Public here knows more about football than Joe Public in the America's. Pele didn't even play over here while Maradona did and STILL 99% of European hacks and ex players will tell you Pele was a lot better.

But either way that's irrelevant.

When a Maradona fan comes close to finding anything which rivals Pele's record, I'll accept that he was better. In case you haven't familiarized yourself with Pele's record (which wouldn't surprise me, since you haven't ever seen him), here it is:

1958 FIFA World Cup in Sweden: winner. Sets the world a light at 17.
1959 Copa America: finalist
1959 Top goalscorer in Copa America (9 goals) (18, nearly 19 years old)
1970 FIFA World Cup in Mexico: winner

92 caps for Brazil and scored 97 goals. he didn't even play as a centre forward all the time! Far from being an out and out frontman, he was more in the role of someone like Raul at stages in his career.

He also scored 1281 goals in 1363 matches.

In 1999, Pele was voted Sportsman of the Century by the world's National Olympic Committee's despite never being in the Olympics. He won a similar award in 1980. In 2000 he came second only to Ali.

Out of this world. There will never ever be anyone better.

Just asked people in South America who better and 99.9% people would say Pele except maybe in Argentina.

minus said:
I've watched some of Pele old games and in my opinion he is the best to ever play the game.

Exactly. My opinion is that Maradona is. I respect your opinion, but mine differs.

Smyth is NORTHERN Irish....

PT...how many times have you seen maradona with your own eyes live?

None. But I have seen alot...I mean alot of tape of tons of his games. (Not high lights but actual games). Probably around 200 or so. My dad use to tape them when he was younger.

Argentina beat Tunisia 2-0. Tevez got a great header goal and got an EVEN better assist on a 360 spin pass to Saviola. He is the real deal.

Argentina beat Costa Rica today. Tevez got 3 goals and now leads the tournament in goals. He is freakin awesome! Like I said before...Argentina has had its eras of star players.

Maradona Era
Batistuta Era
Tevez Era

:up:

I don't think Tevez is better than Andriano.

I'll rank him 2nd in the top 5 South American young players.Tevez is on a high and this year might the year he leads the Argentinian league in scores.

Back
Top Bottom