The Philbin Legacy: Reggie Bush: "I Felt Like I Was Playing On The Replacements" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Philbin Legacy: Reggie Bush: "I Felt Like I Was Playing On The Replacements"

He was a terrible head coach. Ross showed his cluelessness for football decisions by hiring him...
Classic case of a guy getting promoted to head coach simply because he was the coordinator for a good team. No thought as to whether the guy is actually going to be an effective head coach— something that involves a distinctly different set of skills.

Of course, Miami ends up hiring him because Ross is clueless. Then, as if to win the cluelessness sweepstakes, he brings him back in 2015, after two disappointing seasons in which the team got worse. It would be funny except for the fact that Philbin is gone, but Ross is still here.

Quiet now, adults are talking...

IT was an awful time for this franchise...Gase is far from perfect, but going from the slack-jawed, confused and extra queasy Philbin to a guy who is a little arrogant...I'll take arrogance every day of the week.

IMG_2370.PNG

I sense a FinHeaven schism.

Philbin teams weren’t disciplined, at least off the field. But on the field they were among the league leaders in fewest penalties consistently. But then again that’s probably because of how soft the team was. It took only a year or so for him to completely zap all of the physicality Sparano had installed in the team.

According to the OP, Cowherd is the one that mentioned Marshall, not Bush.
I was just coming back to say that. Cowherd made the observation and then moved on with another question. Reggie did not stop to interject but just went with the flow. I had the distinct impression, although no names were mentioned, that Reggie was talking about Philbin - especially considering how he was rebuffed when along with others lobbied for a Leadership Council.

IT was an awful time for this franchise...Gase is far from perfect, but going from the slack-jawed, confused and extra queasy Philbin to a guy who is a little arrogant...I'll take arrogance every day of the week.
Do you really think that much has changed? Gase is better than Philbin, but there is still no discipline and leadership on this team. It seems as though noone takes responsibility and holds anyone accountable for anything.

Last edited:

However, the team still shows the same lack of leadership and accountability. Has there really been a big improvement?

Do you really think that much has changed? Gase is better than Philbin, but there is still no discipline and leadership on this team. It seems as though noone takes responsibility and holds anyone accountable for anything.

Ha, didn't see your post, but said the same thing

However, the team still shows the same lack of leadership and accountability. Has there really been a big improvement?

Yes.

1. I think it is clear that there is accountability. Not only has Gase on multiple occasions called himself out for poor performances, but players as well. Look at what is happening this off-season, the coach has removed people who were not doing the job they were assigned up to the standard he expects. In the last couple of weeks, he has replaced the OC, RB, OL, WR, DL, and head trainer. I would not be surprised that part of the issues with these coaches was not just lack of development, but also the issue with the preparedness of the players. PArt of that does fall on Gase, but a head coach expects his staff to be able to carry that out to the players.

2. This past season is a wash, on top of losing a starting QB who is a presence on the field adds a level of leadership. I also think that the frustration knowing that due to the QB's ability they could only have so much success. While the decision to bring in Cutler was a poor one as Cutler didn't have the ability to make the throws, he did know the offense and I think that is what Gase wanted.

3. Most of the vets on this team, the ones that would be a driving force are from the Philbin era where he feared Alpha personalities. I think that gets corrected over time as more "Gase" players are brought in. When your most notable vets are Suh and Wake...neither of which is known for being a vocal leader, there is an issue. I think some of that gets fixed pretty easily with the addition of Tannehill back on the field and potentially McMillian (who was a known leader at OSU).

4. The biggest difference I see is that Gase seems to have the ability to think and plan with some of the best coaches in the league. While his arrogance will get him into trouble, I rather have that then captain queazy. QB play this year really held the team back that, and lack of talent and smart players in key areas.

Yes.

1. I think it is clear that there is accountability. Not only has Gase on multiple occasions called himself out for poor performances, but players as well. Look at what is happening this off-season, the coach has removed people who were not doing the job they were assigned up to the standard he expects. In the last couple of weeks, he has replaced the OC, RB, OL, WR, DL, and head trainer. I would not be surprised that part of the issues with these coaches was not just lack of development, but also the issue with the preparedness of the players. PArt of that does fall on Gase, but a head coach expects his staff to be able to carry that out to the players.

2. This past season is a wash, on top of losing a starting QB who is a presence on the field adds a level of leadership. I also think that the frustration knowing that due to the QB's ability they could only have so much success. While the decision to bring in Cutler was a poor one as Cutler didn't have the ability to make the throws, he did know the offense and I think that is what Gase wanted.

3. Most of the vets on this team, the ones that would be a driving force are from the Philbin era where he feared Alpha personalities. I think that gets corrected over time as more "Gase" players are brought in. When your most notable vets are Suh and Wake...neither of which is known for being a vocal leader, there is an issue. I think some of that gets fixed pretty easily with the addition of Tannehill back on the field and potentially McMillian (who was a known leader at OSU).

4. The biggest difference I see is that Gase seems to have the ability to think and plan with some of the best coaches in the league. While his arrogance will get him into trouble, I rather have that then captain queazy. QB play this year really held the team back that, and lack of talent and smart players in key areas.
If the season is a wash because they could only have so much success due to losing #17 then what's the need to replace so much staff? Seems like hasty moves for a team that would have excelled with a proper qb.

Back
Top Bottom