The Philbin Legacy: Reggie Bush: "I Felt Like I Was Playing On The Replacements" | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Philbin Legacy: Reggie Bush: "I Felt Like I Was Playing On The Replacements"

If the season is a wash because they could only have so much success due to losing #17 then what's the need to replace so much staff? Seems like hasty moves for a team that would have excelled with a proper qb.

Player preparation (or lack there of) I think was key and a big reason you have several new coaches.

On the topic of Reggie, but not the Philbin era, I was always disappointed with his passing stats for his time in Miami. Covering RB's out of the backfield is an obvious weakness for defenses and obviously has been for a long time. I would have expected Reggie to have more catches, yards and TD's than he did during his time here.

I will say he did improve as an every down back so I give him props for that.

I liked Reggie Bush a lot when he was here in Miami. I think his time in New Orleans had made him more mature and humble as a person, and he embraced his role as a veteran and honestly tried to bring leadership to the team.

I know he didn't have a lot of success after he left Miami, but he played well in 2011 and I thought he still had quite a bit left in the tank if he'd been used more to his strengths. He wasn't asking for a lot of money, and Miami was indeed flush with cash in the 2013 off-season. Yes, he did dance a bit too much in 2012, but I think that was a case where the coaching staff could have worked with him. In his two years in Miami, Bush worked his tail off and tried to do everything that was asked of him, so I think this was a case where Sherman and Philbin could have found a way to make things work.

You want to talk about examples of the Dolphins letting quality players walk and creating a void on the team, that's still a prime example to me. The man pretty much came right out and said he wanted to stay here rather than go chasing a huge payday, and the Dolphins didn't even make him an offer. Classic Ireland and Philbin.

That fact that Ross liked Philbin and he was the selection over the available coaches at the time is all I need to know about this franchise.
Philbin took the job because it was a great opportunity for him. I don't blame him at all.

That fact that Ross liked Philbin and he was the selection over the available coaches at the time is all I need to know about this franchise.
Philbin took the job because it was a great opportunity for him. I don't blame him at all.

Well, to be fair, who were the other options? Mike McCoy proved to be a complete wash-out as a head coach. Jeff Fisher? Ha!

That was a bad, bad year to need a coach.

Under Philbin we were the least penalized team in the league, now we are one of the top two and lead the league in pre-snap penalties. I believe that Gase is a far more talented coach than Philbin, but to say that he overseas a more disciplined squad is ridiculous.

That 2014 Green bay game was the end of Joe Philbin. Wake sacked Aaron Rodgers and it was 4th and long with the clock running under a minute; Green Bay was scrambling to get a play in and Philbin called a gentlemen's timeout. The rest is history.

"Bullygate" is what happens when you allow the national media to define you. It was a non issue that usually gets handled in house. But not in Davie.

Incognito with all his faults, was a white guy sacrificed at the alter of PC lynching. And is it any wonder this team is still operating with NO identity or foundation?

Under Philbin we were the least penalized team in the league, now we are one of the top two and lead the league in pre-snap penalties. I believe that Gase is a far more talented coach than Philbin, but to say that he overseas a more disciplined squad is ridiculous.
Let's not forget that Philbin's also the guy who placed nepotism above the good of the team. Ross had to threaten him with the loss of his own job if he continued to refuse to fire his buttbuddy Sherman. And after he had no choice but to acquiesce, he kept Sherman's SIL, Taylor, a neophyte himself, on as the inexperienced QB mentor to one of the team's most valuable developing assets. And then of course there was bullygate on his watch. Then getting rid of the ad hod "Leadership Council" because only he was in charge of the sinking ship.

So in perspective, being one of the least penalized teams on the field paled by comparison to much of the bigger picture at which he failed abysmally.

Yes.

1. I think it is clear that there is accountability. Not only has Gase on multiple occasions called himself out for poor performances, but players as well. Look at what is happening this off-season, the coach has removed people who were not doing the job they were assigned up to the standard he expects. In the last couple of weeks, he has replaced the OC, RB, OL, WR, DL, and head trainer. I would not be surprised that part of the issues with these coaches was not just lack of development, but also the issue with the preparedness of the players. PArt of that does fall on Gase, but a head coach expects his staff to be able to carry that out to the players.

2. This past season is a wash, on top of losing a starting QB who is a presence on the field adds a level of leadership. I also think that the frustration knowing that due to the QB's ability they could only have so much success. While the decision to bring in Cutler was a poor one as Cutler didn't have the ability to make the throws, he did know the offense and I think that is what Gase wanted.

3. Most of the vets on this team, the ones that would be a driving force are from the Philbin era where he feared Alpha personalities. I think that gets corrected over time as more "Gase" players are brought in. When your most notable vets are Suh and Wake...neither of which is known for being a vocal leader, there is an issue. I think some of that gets fixed pretty easily with the addition of Tannehill back on the field and potentially McMillian (who was a known leader at OSU).

4. The biggest difference I see is that Gase seems to have the ability to think and plan with some of the best coaches in the league. While his arrogance will get him into trouble, I rather have that then captain queazy. QB play this year really held the team back that, and lack of talent and smart players in key areas.

(1)So Gase gets a pass on his staff, well because after 2 years, he makes a change.

(2-3)
Suh and Cutler were both brought in UNDER Gase.

(4) You thinking Gase can coach with the best of them, is just bananas. 2 years ago how long before the adjustments took hold? And this year wasn't any different.

(1)So Gase gets a pass on his staff, well because after 2 years, he makes a change.

(2-3)
Suh and Cutler were both brought in UNDER Gase.

(4) You thinking Gase can coach with the best of them, is just bananas. 2 years ago how long before the adjustments took hold? And this year wasn't any different.

I'm not saying Gase gets a pass, I'm saying that he made a change after seeing his staff fail to do their job to his standard. Philbin did not, he wanted to hold on to Sherman so much that it took Ross threatening his job before he made the decision.

Suh was brought in in 2015...Gase was hired in 2016. I mentioned Cutler wasn't a great decision, but I also understand bringing in a QB to try to salvage a season with someone knows the offense.

I do think Gase can coach with the best of them. His play design and calls are top shelves, unfortunately, noodle arm Cutler could not make the plays...they were there to be made and Cutler knew where to go, just didn't have the physical ability to make it happen.

Well, to be fair, who were the other options? Mike McCoy proved to be a complete wash-out as a head coach. Jeff Fisher? Ha!

That was a bad, bad year to need a coach.

True. Just par for the Fins. How many times do we draft a player and reach for need?

IMHO, he would have better off keeping the meathead and crypt keeper until the right coach was found, or promoting someone from the staff.

Gase was a gamble too. No HC experience. In another couple years, we will know that turns out as well.

Back
Top Bottom