The Running Back Debate | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Running Back Debate

Legs get stuck for all one-cut runners when they hit a wall of defenders. Henry is no different, he is not a scat back. Neither is Elliot.
The benefit is, Henry never dances in the backfield, he goes fwd.

ppl want to see change of direction, fans love scat backs. Because Henry does not change direction with happy feet but runs straight abd plows with power, he draws comparisons to Brandon Jacobs.

Of the RB's rated anywhere in the first three rounds, the only underrated player I see is Jonathan Williams from Arkansas. He's currently listed as a 3rd RD pick, and he's more of a 2nd/3rd RD pick. Of the ten RB's that draftscout's aggregate ranks in the first three rounds, I have six as overrated (to one degree or another), three as appropriately rated, and Williams as the only (slightly) underrated RB.

Elliot, Henry, Dixon, Howard, and Williams are the feature backs. Everyone else is either a projection as a feature back or a role player.

I'm not taking Zeke in the 1st, but i would be looking at value at RB later in the draft. Like you, i am high on Johnathan Williams. The 3rd might be a bit high just based on RB value and the fact he's coming off injury, but i'd definitely take him as a 3rd day pick. I also like Perkins. Prosise's speed is very appealing, but i have watched zero tape to evaluate yet. A later rounder who intrigues me.....Tre Madden. The guy has been haunted with the injury bug, but when he did play, he showed a great burst for a guy his size and adds value in the pass game.

Keith Marshall

I getting more and more attach and hoping that the Dolphins take a chance on Keith Marshall somewhere in the draft. The kid knows how to run and i think he is finally over his knee injury and shows in the combine with his speed.

1-keith%20marshall-001.jpg

I getting more and more attach and hoping that the Dolphins take a chance on Keith Marshall somewhere in the draft. The kid knows how to run and i think he is finally over his knee injury and shows in the combine with his speed.

1-keith%20marshall-001.jpg

He's definitely not getting the attention he deserves. 220 lbs and runs a 4.31 at the combine. He Should of been the talk of the town with that number. Seriously, what the heck is going on here?

It seems impossible people are sleeping on him, he's insanely good. Even I forgot about he was in this draft. Has to be the knee injury, right?

If you didn't have any concerns about his knee he Would be most peoples #2 back in the draft, and a lot of people would put him #1.

I tried finding tape from Marshall for 2015 after chubb went down. The only game they have is the bowl game vs Penn state, hes clearly not quite the same guy as he was. And his stats suggest he probably wasn't fully healthy either. That or he's holding back for fear of injury.

But still, that 4.31...

Hard to know if it was a lingering problem that went away or if this is a problem that will never go away, and he was just able to run the 40, but maybe still can't plant his feet the way he needs to as a NFL RB.

What's the deal with Paul James of Rutgers? He would be a nice cheap get. We need special players!!! Not just another rb!

What's the deal with Paul James of Rutgers? He would be a nice cheap get. We need special players!!! Not just another rb!

Might be the most snake-bitten player in this draft along with Madden. It's a shame because when healthy, he seemed to produce. He only had more than 100 carries once in his career (156 in 2013, 323 for his career) and broke his leg and tore his acl in back to back years. In comparison, Derrick Henry had 395 this year alone without injury, McCaffrey had 337.

In 2015, eventhough he was perceived as healthy, he lost his starting job and split time with 2 other RBs. He runs with nice power/balance and has good straight line speed, but not much wiggle.

Watching path to the draft and everyone Is drooling over Booker, Projected him in the 2nd rnd.

I still don't get the love for him.

Watching path to the draft and everyone Is drooling over Booker, Projected him in the 2nd rnd.

I still don't get the love for him.

I love the kid. Like Zeke, he's another 3 down back that is not only a physical runner, but is really good in the pass game, both catching the ball and blocking. He didn't play behind a very good oline last year, so his ypc didn't look too good -- but he is one of those types of backs that is always falling forward and squeezing out a yard or more than was actually there. I've seen the kid since high school and he's been a stud at every level. One thing I really like is how much he improved in the classroom. He didn't make it into Washington State out of high school due to scholastic reasons and took a long circuitous route through JC and now supposedly has a very high GPA. He has that same dedication with football and I think will pick up a playbook quite well. He's a very skilled football player.

If the Dolphins don't draft Zeke with their #13 and go another route, I'd love to see them take Booker with their 2nd or 3rd round pick should he still be available. He'll be a good NFL back for some team.

Because the film shows him exploding thru gaps, exploding by dbs and lbs in second level. Then he went to combine and posted 37" vert, 131" broad, ran 4.5 at 6-3 250. That explosion and power is for real and it is elite!
Couple that with the fact he carried the champs to the tune of 2000+ yards and 28 tds, won the Heisman, and was a phenom in high school. And all that with ease.

What else do you need to get impressed? A Fred Astaire feet? A song and a dance? Dude is an elite prospect, top 5 in the draft!

You have to be kidding with Daniel Thomas crap!

Yeah just now starting to pay attention and after seeing Henry as our pick in Drafttek's mock at 42, I would be all in. You get that guy going and suddenly your going to see Tannehill taking off on the read option.

Great speed for his size and the power in the pro game is undeniable. I bet he is good with the short pass stuff as well.

Great speed for his size and the power in the pro game is undeniable. I bet he is good with the short pass stuff as well.

The only problem I have with Henry is that he doesn't have good get off and takes a bit to get going. He's amazingly fast once he gets going, but I believe he's going to get dropped behind the LOS quite often if there isn't an immediate running lane. And I question his skills in the passing game, both blocking and receiving. But, like many young kids, he certainly could be developed and improved in those areas. With the right oline, he could have an immediate impact, but so could most RB's. But if he ends up on a team with an average to below average line, I think he'll struggle more than Elliott or Booker would behind the same line.

There is zero chance Derrick Henry will drop to 42.

Derrick was the National Player of the year in HS, broke the all time national HS rushing record set in 1953!
Went to SEC to Ala and became their best rb ever! Won Heisman! He abused SEC defenses.

Melvin Gordon the previous yr did nothing against LSU. Henry put up 200 yds and 3 TDs on them, while Fournett had 31 yds on Bama.

I have a feeling some of you think this is easy to outrun and outmuscle LSU athletes.

When I read sone of the comments like Henry is Daniel Thomas, or Devonte Booker and Alex Collins are better, all I have to say is, C'mon man!

Or, Jack Conklin, Eli Apple, Alexander, Jackson Iii grade higher than Henry?! Come on man!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom