The Running Back Debate | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Running Back Debate

These are the guys I'm intrigued by, haven't watched all of them but interested to hear views on them:

C.J. Prosise, Notre Dame
Alex Collins, Arkansas
Kenneth Dixon, Lousiana Tech
Paul Perkins, UCLA
Jordan Howard, Indiana
Tyler Ervin, San Jose State
Kelvin Taylor, Florida
Keith Marshall, Georgia
Daniel Lasco, California

I know I like Collins, Prosise and Dixon. The rest are more guys I'm intrigued by that am yet to watch. Lasco is interesting from what I've watched. I'm looking strictly on day 3. Unless a guy like Dixon is available in round 3, then I'm at least entertaining it.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are the guys I'm intrigued by, haven't watched all of them but interested to hear views on them:

C.J. Prosise, Notre Dame
Alex Collins, Arkansas
Paul Perkins, UCLA
Jordan Howard, Indiana
Kelvin Taylor, Florida
Keith Marshall, Georgia
Daniel Lasco, California

I know I like Collins, Prosise and Dixon. The rest are more guys I'm intrigued by that am yet to watch. Lasco is interesting from what I've watched.

No love for Jonathan Williams? Perkins reminds me of Ka'deem Carey, but Perkins is faster. I think he can provide quality touches, but I don't see him carrying a heavy load.

Howard runs with great pad level, and I think he moves well enough to take the role of feature back. Limited long speed.

I don't think Taylor has the tools to make it.

I like Lasco in a Woodhead/Sproles kind of role. Tremendous burst. Not a consistent tackle-breaker, but he runs fast and falls forward. I think Gase has the creativity to put him to good use. 5th RD guy.

No love for Jonathan Williams? Perkins reminds me of Ka'deem Carey, but Perkins is faster. I think he can provide quality touches, but I don't see him carrying a heavy load.

Howard runs with great pad level, and I think he moves well enough to take the role of feature back. Limited long speed.

I don't think Taylor has the tools to make it.

I like Lasco in a Woodhead/Sproles kind of role. Tremendous burst. Not a consistent tackle-breaker, but he runs fast and falls forward. I think Gase has the creativity to put him to good use. 5th RD guy.

Jonathan Williams isn't on my radar, but I'll take a look now. Perkins workout #'s are a little concerning, but I know he has a lot of fans. Howard I'm extremely intrigued by, he seems to be very under the radar and would be a real gift in round 4 if he slips through the cracks. Obviously I loved Fred Taylor, so was hoping for the same from his son. I've seen you talk up Lasco, great measurables and liked the tape I watched. Has some solid baseline skills that I'd be looking for. Thanks for the input.

Jonathan Williams isn't on my radar, but I'll take a look now. Perkins workout #'s are a little concerning, but I know he has a lot of fans. Howard I'm extremely intrigued by, he seems to be very under the radar and would be a real gift in round 4 if he slips through the cracks. Obviously I loved Fred Taylor, so was hoping for the same from his son. I've seen you talk up Lasco, great measurables and liked the tape I watched. Has some solid baseline skills that I'd be looking for. Thanks for the input.

You got it. I wanted to love Taylor, because, like you, I loved his Dad, but I think he's just too slow.

C.J. Prosise, Notre Dame
Alex Collins, Arkansas
Paul Perkins, UCLA
Jordan Howard, Indiana
Kelvin Taylor, Florida
Keith Marshall, Georgia
Daniel Lasco, California

I know I like Collins, Prosise and Dixon. The rest are more guys I'm intrigued by that am yet to watch. Lasco is interesting from what I've watched. I'm looking strictly on day 3. Unless a guy like Dixon is available in round 3, then I'm at least entertaining it.

I think j-off identified a good one with Jonathan Williams. I've been a big advocate for drafting A big strong back to pair with Ajayi, he fits that mold. I'd support that pick.

But Marshall can be special. Healthy he's every bit as good as Gurley or Chubb. As I mentioned in then last page, I don't understands the lack of hype for him, but there's a lot of things I don't understand about this draft as far as overhyped and under hyped players. How many running backs have run a 4.31(j-off?), let alone at 220 lbs, and no one cares? That makes no sense to me.

Collins runs like he's been doing it since he was born. He's a ton of fun to watch, really knows how to get a defense on its heals by using stutter steps, and than burns right right past them, so damn smooth. But in the NFL that's a dangerous move, and his athletism for the NFL level may not be adequate, kind of reminds me of Kadeem Carey who I hated in that draft but a lot of people here loved.

Procise I really like, I was pushing to draft him, but he's just too raw. I think he will develop into a pretty damn good running back, but I rather not be the team that has to do it.

Howard IMO is a player that will be all over our radar. He's reminds me one of those running backs, Kubiak or The Shannhans Would draft late and make a total stud out of. While everyone else is looking for more speed and burst, and highlight plays, Howard is the consistent power running back with great vision that will be productive on day 1. But god damn is he slow, you expect him to hit another gear, and its just not there.

Perkins and dixon don't do much for me, Other guys I haven't watched.

Procise and Howard in the mid-late rounds, both are very good without a lot of bust potential. Worst case is likely that they are a competent 2nd fiddle to Ajayi.

Gotta say, Howard has leaped almost everyone in my RB rankings.

Extremely decisive runner between the Tackles, and finishes his runs violently, consistently gets an extra few yards just driving defenders backwards. Will be a monster in the red zone too. I think him and Ajayi would be a great duo.

Howard is the exact kind of back I'm looking for if I'm the dolphins staff.

at RB I would like Kenyan Drake

For what role?

I'm not pretending to be a Draft guy and I don't watch a lot of tape like most in the forum but I am surprised that Drake is so overlooked.

From the little I have seen I see a guy who you can put in a multi-dimensional role of kick/punt returner, #2 or 3 running back and he has pass catching skills out of the backfield on 3rd downs or passing situations.

I think he was buried in a deep Alabama system or this kid would have gotten a lot more attention. Maybe some of our Bama guys know more.

I'm not pretending to be a Draft guy and I don't watch a lot of tape like most in the forum but I am surprised that Drake is so overlooked.

From the little I have seen I see a guy who you can put in a multi-dimensional role of kick/punt returner, #2 or 3 running back and he has pass catching skills out of the backfield on 3rd downs or passing situations.

I think he was buried in a deep Alabama system or this kid would have gotten a lot more attention. Maybe some of our Bama guys know more.

I don't think he will be overlooked in the draft. Just overlooked by fans/media, not by teams though.

I'd like to see him get drafted by either San Fran or Tenn.

Of all the 2015 backs I have seen, Kenyan Drake has the best agility and balance; he stays on his feet until he is form tackled. He has run 4.31, has low mileage, he has return skills, and he seems like a perfect weapon to have to complement whomever our primary ball carrier is. He shows great mental toughness, a good team player, and a high motor. A Jarvis Landry at the RB position if you will! Sign me up in round 3.

RW

Matt Claassen (@PFF_Matt) tweeted at 11:20 AM on Fri, Apr 22, 2016:
Avg. yards AFTER contact on power scheme runs in '15:
Zeke 5.2
Perkins 4.2
Dixon 3.9
Booker 3.7
Howard 3.6
Henry 3.2
Collins 2.7
Prosise 2.6

Matt Claassen (@PFF_Matt) tweeted at 0:07 PM on Fri, Apr 22, 2016:
Avg yards after contact on inside zone runs in '15
Henry 3.8
Perkins 3.7
Howard 3.5
Collins 3.0
Elliott 2.9
Prosise 2.5
Booker 2.4
Dixon 1.9

I'm no draft guru either but I did like what I saw from Kenyan drake when he got carries. I may be wrong but I believe Satan gave drake a start in one game or at least attempted to use him heavily, assuming the opposition would be keyed in on Henry.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

I would be interested if there is data of drake playing in competitive minutes, as opposed to bama blowing a team out and benching Henry.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I tried finding tape from Marshall for 2015 after chubb went down. The only game they have is the bowl game vs Penn state, hes clearly not quite the same guy as he was. And his stats suggest he probably wasn't fully healthy either. That or he's holding back for fear of injury.

But still, that 4.31...

Hard to know if it was a lingering problem that went away or if this is a problem that will never go away, and he was just able to run the 40, but maybe still can't plant his feet the way he needs to as a NFL RB.

Marshall sat on his 4.31-second time in the 40-yard dash from the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis last month but wanted to show teams that his agility is right where it should be on the "5-10-5" shuttle and "L drills."

"I talked to coaches, and they said that I did well today," Marshall said.

Better late than never for Marshall, who credits weight loss over the last three months for his sudden rise up draft boards.

"I was healthy six months ago, but I got too big during the season," he said. "I thought I was eating healthy, but I wasn't. I dropped down a lot of weight and body fat.

"I was up to 230, but 218 today. It wasn't too big of a problem, but 230 was too big for me."

Marshall is finally wowing the football world in a way that many expected him to as a true freshman for the Bulldogs in 2012. The potential has always been there, and he showed it again on Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom