THIS. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

THIS.

LOL. Chris Grier and the Miami Dolphins winning yet another offseason only to crap the bed when the games count.

How any sane person can still defend Chris Grier is beyond me. I posted the exact same thing many many moons ago and yet nothing has changed. It’s going to be Groundhog Day until we finally get rid of Grier.
He only gets credit but his fails are someone else’s fault, or he wasn’t fully in charge yet or he drafted who the coach wanted.

It’s a shame how this fanbase has evolved to be ok with mediocrity. The dolphins used to be a top notch franchise where the expectations wasn’t just making the playoffs but winning several playoff games every year.
That was 4 decades past, bro.

Half of today's fans have zero recollection of those times. Just making the playoffs has been a rarity since the turn of the century. That's not even getting into the different mindsets of recent generations overall

I'm not excusing mediocrity, only adding context.

Half of today's fans have zero recollection of those times. Just making the playoffs has been a rarity since the turn of the century. That's not even getting into the different mindsets of recent generations overall

Even in the late 90s early 00s winning a playoff game was expected but the problem was not getting destroyed in the divisional round every year

In my opinion, Grier has always been pretty good at moving players around and getting great returns. Where Miami is truly lacking, is the same place it's been lacking for decades. Scouting and talent assessment.

I noticed you ignored the premium draft capital given up aspect (not in JRs case).

Maybe you care, maybe you don't, but it is a piece of the equation that should be included if you are going to look at it the way you suggest.

Your point is valid but the draft is not a guarantee of success either

One could argue that getting Hill for a package that looks like
Igbinoghene
Raekwon David
Channng tindall would be a decent to good return for these players

Grier has played this perfectly and it’s not over

I disagree with this.
Given the spot they were in, they couldn't really resign Wilkins. I understand that. However it is mismanagement to get into that spot. Could have done Wilkins last year. Didn't need to end up so much over the cap, etc. That alone was not playing things to perfection.

Having said all of that, and agreeing that given the spot they were in, it was necessary to let Wilkins go.

But winning football games is about horses, not ponies. Ponies do not make you great. You need horses on the team. Giving up 1 horse for a bunch of ponies never makes you great.

For example, if tua gets 50mm per year, and then you traded him and used the 50mm on an avg old QB, and 10 other meh players at 4mm per year, are you better or worse? My view, a lot worse. That's a lot of players too.

Grier and perfection in the same breath is an oxymoron.

I mean, we’re on a rebuild of rebuild. I’ve lost count of the words being bandied about with his tenure as GM: “rebuild,” “reset,” and “overhaul” being the most noteworthy.

Whatever you want to call it, the bottom line is that he’s produced zero playoff wins. I call it pathetic, considering the money and draft capital that he had at his disposal.

You forgot "retcon" & "reboot" /s?

I disagree with this.
Given the spot they were in, they couldn't really resign Wilkins. I understand that. However it is mismanagement to get into that spot. Could have done Wilkins last year. Didn't need to end up so much over the cap, etc. That alone was not playing things to perfection.

Having said all of that, and agreeing that given the spot they were in, it was necessary to let Wilkins go.

But winning football games is about horses, not ponies. Ponies do not make you great. You need horses on the team. Giving up 1 horse for a bunch of ponies never makes you great.

For example, if tua gets 50mm per year, and then you traded him and used the 50mm on an avg old QB, and 10 other meh players at 4mm per year, are you better or worse? My view, a lot worse. That's a lot of players too.
Horses not ponies?

You don't know your Dolphins history. The 1971 Dolphns were the youngest team (read that as mostly ponies) to ever reach a Super Bowl and we know what happened the next year.

Patrick Surtain?

Bring him.home Grier lol.

I know, picks and cap.

But it's Patrick Surtain haha

Ya I would love Surtain. Pops was one of my favorite players ever. Unlikely though, I see the Eagles as a landing spot for him

We should (and could) be sniffing around Marshon Lattimore though. He's due a $13.8M roster bonus a week before the season to go along with his $1.2M salary. If he's still a Saint after the draft, we'll be able to swing a deal for him with 2025 picks. He wouldn't command much.

This. I haven't missed a game since 07, but that's when my time as a Fins fan began. I missed out on the glory years. Instead, I've slogged through the Cameron + Sparano + Gase + Flores regimes. The MM regime is by far the best I've ever felt about our team. Am I content with mediocrity or just making the playoffs? Hell nah. But my frame of reference is MUCH different than the old timers. And I'm certainly not in favour of blowing it up again when it finally seems like we're getting traction and heading in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom