THIS. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

THIS.

I would counter that just because a team invests and throws money at a player, does not make them a foundational piece. For me, it takes years of sustained success for that particular kind of label.

They can pay them like that, but it doesn’t magically transform them into better players on the field.

A lot of teams make that mistake every year, and some moreso than others. Giants and Jones immediately springs to mind.

From where I’m standing and my perspective, Grier’s approach looks like a Jackson Pollock montage. There’s very few impactful players of substance and leadership here, with a tenacious dog mentality.

I’ll just say that I hope that I’m wrong, and that you’re right.

Jaylen Ramsay, Tyreek hill, Jaylen waddle, Jaylen Phillips, Bradley Chubb, Devon Achane and Tua aren’t impact players? Seriously dude?

They and all the others I mentioned previously are the foundational pieces that this franchise is built on. It matters not whether you like them or not, they are the foundation this current team is built on.

You can say you don’t like them, or those pieces, but you can’t say they aren’t the foundation of the team when clearly they are.

You can say that they aren’t impact players and we can all laugh at you and ask you to pass whatever you are smoking.

Grier has played this perfectly and it’s not over

Grier has done awesome and he’s not done yet.
Most of these dont affect comp picks either

A couple weeks ago if you’d posed a hypothetical trade on this forum sending out all the players that the Dolphins lost in FA thus far (and the salaries they expected to net in extensions) in return for ALL the players the Dolphins have signed thus far AND a couple of 3rd round picks, along with the other compensatory picks — I’ll bet the majority of those complaining the loudest and longest would have done the deal…..

BUT….. most of them don’t want to admit they jumped the gun and overreacted. So they won’t.

Stubborn, stubborn people.

Agreed. He’s on a roll every year - but we don’t win divisions or playoff games.

He’s bringing in guys. But the talent out > talent in by a mile. So we’ll see if we’re as good this year as last year.

YET. They haven’t won YET.

It’s gonna happen. They’ve been inching closer and closer each season.

Last season they were 14-points in the clear and 3-minutes away from winning the division before a defensive collapse ruined it. They were in that position despite the season-long injuries along the offensive line AND the late-season losses of their top 2 edge rushers. What happens in a season where things don’t fall that way injury wise?

Again, this team has posted a winning record for 4-consecutive seasons now. They barely missed the postseason once, but have qualified the past 2 seasons. They just posted the franchises best record since 2008. Again, despite all the injuries and bad luck.

The continued success and upward trend suggests next season could be even better.

Fans often talk about building a team but rarely have the patience to allow it to play out.

5 years ago this franchise pushed the reset button. Then had to eject the toxic HC they started that rebuild with after season 3. They are about to begin season 3 with their current HC after pivoting half way through the rebuild.

Let’s see what happens next…..

What I love about Grier is his determination to fill every hole before the draft so he can go BPA at a premium positions. Don’t forget that post June 1st coin either.

Agreed.

Furthermore, I get not loving or agreeing with every decision Grier makes. But as I said before, after pressing the reset button to begin Flores tenure as HC and enduring that 5-11 season — this franchise has been steadily climbing upward. Despite the Flores toxicity. And has been a winning program for 4 consecutive seasons.

In now way can that be considered failure. It’s not winning a championship, that’s for sure. But it surely beats what the Dolphins were up to for 7 consecutive seasons prior to Grier taking over and is infinitely better than the Jests current 8-year run in 3rd place or worse in the AFC East and 10-year postseason absence.

LOL. Chris Grier and the Miami Dolphins winning yet another offseason only to crap the bed when the games count.

How any sane person can still defend Chris Grier is beyond me. I posted the exact same thing many many moons ago and yet nothing has changed. It’s going to be Groundhog Day until we finally get rid of Grier.

Let’s call it three more holes to fill on offense.

That’s hardly a rebuild.
He wasn't being factual, he's really just having a hissy fit. You know the ones where you watch his mother drag him out by the wrist and you just shake your head in amazement. NOTHING TO SEE HERE. Please move along in a safe order, thank you

I also used the words reset and overhaul. So what exactly are we currently calling it now, a course correction? Seems to be fluid and superfluous depending on the wind.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with your assessment of the players listed. Out of all those players listed, I would count two foundational players: Ramsey and Hill. These are two players that Grier had to pluck from other teams. Nothing wrong with that of course, just pointing out that they’re no-brainer acquisitions if you throw enough money on the table. And of course he did.

Defense:
• Ramsey (2)*

• Jevon Holland - disappears during games and checkered injuries. Still has of yet to fulfill his potential. Maybe a new defensive coordinator changes that, I hope so.

• Jaylen Phillips - checkered injury history dating back to college. Has a terrific motor and nice arsenal of moves, but can he come back to his pre-injury form? I hope so.

• Chubb - Solid, yet unspectacular and again with a checkered injury history. Not even going to get into the Tennessee game. Can he also come back to his pre-injury form? Who knows, but I hope that he does.

You will notice that I’m using the words hope and injuries more than I would care to mention. Just noting that for the sake of posterity.

Offense:

Tua - I think it’s fair to say that the jury is still out on our QB. Wouldn’t you say? The team and organization can pay him whatever they want, but that doesn’t magically generate success and playoff victories. I hope he takes the next step, genuinely. But if he doesn’t, or suffers another crippling injury and with Grier’s magic touch with OL would we be surprised? No.

Tyreek Hill (1)*

Waddle - Explosive player, but drops catches that he shouldn’t. Which is weird, because I don’t remember that being much of problem at Alabama. He’s a fearless player, but this has gotten him in trouble with some injuries. Again, checkered injuries and some drops. I honestly think he needs to add some more muscle and definition, without losing his speed with longevity in mind. We’ll see on this one.

Achane - Extremely exciting player to watch, but yet again derailed by injury. I don’t envision him ever being a 20-25 carry RB, but he doesn’t need that many carries. That said he’s more of a change of pace/3rd down back. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it’s hard to place him as a workhorse.

Armstead - Man, where to begin with this one. He’s the epitome of an unreliable player. Now don’t get me wrong, he’s a very good T (when healthy), but his very extensive injury history makes him a coin flip from game to game. This is not a cornerstone for your football team, but a frustrating albatross.

Jackson - Again, checkered injury history. I get it though, that donating the bone marrow to his sister may have set him back. Very noble and wonderful that I applaud. That said, he’s really only had one and half good season(s) in the NFL. Will he continue to remain healthy and playing at the same level as last year? Remains to be seen, but I sure hope that he does. Needs to have back-to-back good seasons and to remain relatively healthy.

Ingold - Good blocker, but difference maker on offense? We could lose him tomorrow and would our offense be hindered? Probably not. Mike McDaniel doesn’t use him enough even as a gadget player, but I get the blocking/thumper angle.

So by my count (and argument) I count two players as truly foundational pieces: Hill and Ramsey. Here’s the rub of it though, you’re looking at likely a two year window before the glass breaks.

Eichenberg and Ezukama are just bodies, and have done absolutely nothing impactful since being on the team. Are you noticing a trend yet? How about with Tindall? Cam Smith? All of them are synonymous with having accomplished zilch - if some of them even sniff the field.

Do you know what’s missing from this picture and the common thematic with the players you listed? Injuries, supposition, and the real lack of reliable trench grinders and space eaters of substance with a dog mentality. It’s simply not present, but they should be and also be the cornerstone for the team.

I’m not seeing what you see.
I can't even read this drivel any longer, it's just depressing

LOL. Chris Grier and the Miami Dolphins winning yet another offseason only to crap the bed when the games count.

How any sane person can still defend Chris Grier is beyond me. I posted the exact same thing many many moons ago and yet nothing has changed. It’s going to be Groundhog Day until we finally get rid of Grier.
Unfortunately, it looks like he is GM for life.

Agreed.

Furthermore, I get not loving or agreeing with every decision Grier makes. But as I said before, after pressing the reset button to begin Flores tenure as HC and enduring that 5-11 season — this franchise has been steadily climbing upward. Despite the Flores toxicity. And has been a winning program for 4 consecutive seasons.

In now way can that be considered failure. It’s not winning a championship, that’s for sure. But it surely beats what the Dolphins were up to for 7 consecutive seasons prior to Grier taking over and is infinitely better than the Jests current 8-year run in 3rd place or worse in the AFC East and 10-year postseason absence.
OMG someone being reasonable! I commend you sir!

He wasn't being factual, he's really just having a hissy fit. You know the ones where you watch his mother drag him out by the wrist and you just shake your head in amazement. NOTHING TO SEE HERE. Please move along in a safe order, thank you
Yes, yes, that's the conclusion that I ended up, unfortunately I didn't arrive there until I had wasted way too much time replying to him.

I think Grier did a commendable job given the circumstances

Players that left did it in a Byron jones way… get max $$$ to play for a bad team…

Hit on the draft and we are good

Back
Top Bottom