THIS. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

THIS.

Grier and perfection in the same breath is an oxymoron.

I mean, we’re on a rebuild of rebuild. I’ve lost count of the words being bandied about with his tenure as GM: “rebuild,” “reset,” and “overhaul” being the most noteworthy.

Whatever you want to call it, the bottom line is that he’s produced zero playoff wins. I call it pathetic, considering the money and draft capital that he had at his disposal.
1st things 1st.
We just went to the playoffs for two years in a row with a severely crippled team.
The only thing "pathetic" is your post. - LOL

1st things 1st.
We just went to the playoffs for two years in a row with a severely crippled team.
The only thing "pathetic" is your post. - LOL

Certainly making the playoffs and a first round exit two years in row, while also using injuries as the prevailing excuse is the gold standard that every organization should hope to aspire toward.

It has nothing to do with negligent overspending, failed draft picks, and a puzzling overarching philosophy.

Building from the inside-out is just fool’s gold, it’s just much more intelligent building a track team of small players that don’t travel in cold weather to continually get punched in the mouth when it matters the most. Chris Grier truly is a genius with roster construction!

Hmm, the AFC East. Do you think that we might play in any cold weather games this year? Nah, probably not. Global warming! Hey, at least we know that the team travels well in sub-forty degree weather and can play a physical brand of football? Right?! Right-O.

Clearly trending upward. Reality and history be damned, we have hopes and prayers (along with a visionary like Chris Grier) as our foundation.

Wonderful.

Wilkins is a big loss though. I don’t know much about our new C but he’s small at 275. Did we get weaker up the middle ? I’d be concerned about being dominated again in the interior of the OL. Need some people moving guards
Where did you get 275 from? He’s 295.

Yeah I highly doubt he would leave that kind of money on the table and I personally haven't heard about him wanting to leave. What podcast were you listening to
The Washington taxes vs Florida taxes alone would make that deal a lot closer than it seems at face value.

Grier and perfection in the same breath is an oxymoron.

I mean, we’re on a rebuild of rebuild. I’ve lost count of the words being bandied about with his tenure as GM: “rebuild,” “reset,” and “overhaul” being the most noteworthy.

Whatever you want to call it, the bottom line is that he’s produced zero playoff wins. I call it pathetic, considering the money and draft capital that he had at his disposal.
Rebuild?

That means you usually don’t have a lot of core foundational pieces.

Jaylen Ramsey
Jevon Holland
Jaylen phillips
Bradley Chubb

Those are your foundational pieces on defense and the line backing corps of David Long and Jordyn brooks is an upgrade over last year and they added Shaq Barrett at edge and yet another linebacker in the middle.

We need a nose tackle, another defensive tackle for depth in the rotation, and one more cornerback. That’s three slots in defense. That’s hardly a complete rebuild.

Offense:

Tua
Reek
Wadddle
Achane
Armstead
Jackson
Ingold

We’ve added a center that’s a good Scheme fit, a good pass catching tight end that will allow us to run more 12 personel Packages which is a nice formation we couldn’t pass well out of to the tight end last year, the rest of our running back room is solid and we are getting Ezukama back.

Holes? One starting guard and one to compete with Eichenberg who also could take another step in this his 3rd year. And one more WR who can get separation.

Let’s call it three more holes to fill on offense.

That’s hardly a rebuild.

Last edited:
Wilkins is a big loss though. I don’t know much about our new C but he’s small at 275. Did we get weaker up the middle ? I’d be concerned about being dominated again in the interior of the OL. Need some people moving guards
He is but if Grier drafts a good DT then the defense can be the same or better than last year since they upgraded the LB corp. Trading for Snead is still a possibility perhaps. Here’s an article on potential DTs for Miami in the draft:

Last edited:
Rebuild?

That means you usually don’t have a lot of core foundational pieces.

Jaylen Ramsey
Jevon Holland
Jaylen phillips
Bradley Chubb

Those are your foundational pieces on defense and the line backing corps of David Long and Jordyn brooks is an upgrade over last year and they added Shaq Barrett at edge and yet another linebacker in the middle.

We need a nose tackle, another defensive tackle for depth in the rotation, and one more cornerback. That’s three slots in defense. That’s hardly a complete rebuild.

Offense:

Tua
Reek
Wadddle
Achane
Armstead
Jackson
Ingold

We’ve added a center that’s a good Scheme fit, a good pass catching tight end that will allow us to run more 12 personel Packages which is a nice formation we couldn’t pass well out of last year, the rest of our running back room is solid and we are getting Ezukama back.

Holes? One starting guard and one to compete with Eichenberg who also could take another step in this his 3rd year. And one more WR who can get separation.

Let’s call it three more holes to fill on offense.

That’s hardly a rebuild.

I also used the words reset and overhaul. So what exactly are we currently calling it now, a course correction? Seems to be fluid and superfluous depending on the wind.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with your assessment of the players listed. Out of all those players listed, I would count two foundational players: Ramsey and Hill. These are two players that Grier had to pluck from other teams. Nothing wrong with that of course, just pointing out that they’re no-brainer acquisitions if you throw enough money on the table. And of course he did.

Defense:
• Ramsey (2)*

• Jevon Holland - disappears during games and checkered injuries. Still has of yet to fulfill his potential. Maybe a new defensive coordinator changes that, I hope so.

• Jaylen Phillips - checkered injury history dating back to college. Has a terrific motor and nice arsenal of moves, but can he come back to his pre-injury form? I hope so.

• Chubb - Solid, yet unspectacular and again with a checkered injury history. Not even going to get into the Tennessee game. Can he also come back to his pre-injury form? Who knows, but I hope that he does.

You will notice that I’m using the words hope and injuries more than I would care to mention. Just noting that for the sake of posterity.

Offense:

Tua - I think it’s fair to say that the jury is still out on our QB. Wouldn’t you say? The team and organization can pay him whatever they want, but that doesn’t magically generate success and playoff victories. I hope he takes the next step, genuinely. But if he doesn’t, or suffers another crippling injury and with Grier’s magic touch with OL would we be surprised? No.

Tyreek Hill (1)*

Waddle - Explosive player, but drops catches that he shouldn’t. Which is weird, because I don’t remember that being much of problem at Alabama. He’s a fearless player, but this has gotten him in trouble with some injuries. Again, checkered injuries and some drops. I honestly think he needs to add some more muscle and definition, without losing his speed with longevity in mind. We’ll see on this one.

Achane - Extremely exciting player to watch, but yet again derailed by injury. I don’t envision him ever being a 20-25 carry RB, but he doesn’t need that many carries. That said he’s more of a change of pace/3rd down back. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it’s hard to place him as a workhorse.

Armstead - Man, where to begin with this one. He’s the epitome of an unreliable player. Now don’t get me wrong, he’s a very good T (when healthy), but his very extensive injury history makes him a coin flip from game to game. This is not a cornerstone for your football team, but a frustrating albatross.

Jackson - Again, checkered injury history. I get it though, that donating the bone marrow to his sister may have set him back. Very noble and wonderful that I applaud. That said, he’s really only had one and half good season(s) in the NFL. Will he continue to remain healthy and playing at the same level as last year? Remains to be seen, but I sure hope that he does. Needs to have back-to-back good seasons and to remain relatively healthy.

Ingold - Good blocker, but difference maker on offense? We could lose him tomorrow and would our offense be hindered? Probably not. Mike McDaniel doesn’t use him enough even as a gadget player, but I get the blocking/thumper angle.

So by my count (and argument) I count two players as truly foundational pieces: Hill and Ramsey. Here’s the rub of it though, you’re looking at likely a two year window before the glass breaks.

Eichenberg and Ezukama are just bodies, and have done absolutely nothing impactful since being on the team. Are you noticing a trend yet? How about with Tindall? Cam Smith? All of them are synonymous with having accomplished zilch - if some of them even sniff the field.

Do you know what’s missing from this picture and the common thematic with the players you listed? Injuries, supposition, and the real lack of reliable trench grinders and space eaters of substance with a dog mentality. It’s simply not present, but they should be and also be the cornerstone for the team.

I’m not seeing what you see.

I also used the words reset and overhaul. So what exactly are we currently calling it now, a course correction? Seems to be fluid and superfluous depending on the wind.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with your assessment of the players listed. Out of all those players listed, I would count two foundational players: Ramsey and Hill. These are two players that Grier had to pluck from other teams. Nothing wrong with that of course, just pointing out that they’re no-brainer acquisitions if you throw enough money on the table. And of course he did.

Defense:
• Ramsey (2)*

• Jevon Holland - disappears during games and checkered injuries. Still has of yet to fulfill his potential. Maybe a new defensive coordinator changes that, I hope so.

• Jaylen Phillips - checkered injury history dating back to college. Has a terrific motor and nice arsenal of moves, but can he come back to his pre-injury form? I hope so.

• Chubb - Solid, yet unspectacular and again with a checkered injury history. Not even going to get into the Tennessee game. Can he also come back to his pre-injury form? Who knows, but I hope that he does.

You will notice that I’m using the words hope and injuries more than I would care to mention. Just noting that for the sake of posterity.

Offense:

Tua - I think it’s fair to say that the jury is still out on our QB. Wouldn’t you say? The team and organization can pay him whatever they want, but that doesn’t magically generate success and playoff victories. I hope he takes the next step, genuinely. But if he doesn’t, or suffers another crippling injury and with Grier’s magic touch with OL would we be surprised? No.

Tyreek Hill (1)*

Waddle - Explosive player, but drops catches that he shouldn’t. Which is weird, because I don’t remember that being much of problem at Alabama. He’s a fearless player, but this has gotten him in trouble with some injuries. Again, checkered injuries and some drops. I honestly think he needs to add some more muscle and definition, without losing his speed with longevity in mind. We’ll see on this one.

Achane - Extremely exciting player to watch, but yet again derailed by injury. I don’t envision him ever being a 20-25 carry RB, but he doesn’t need that many carries. That said he’s more of a change of pace/3rd down back. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it’s hard to place him as a workhorse.

Armstead - Man, where to begin with this one. He’s the epitome of an unreliable player. Now don’t get me wrong, he’s a very good T (when healthy), but his very extensive injury history makes him a coin flip from game to game. This is not a cornerstone for your football team, but a frustrating albatross.

Jackson - Again, checkered injury history. I get it though, that donating the bone marrow to his sister may have set him back. Very noble and wonderful that I applaud. That said, he’s really only had one and half good season(s) in the NFL. Will he continue to remain healthy and playing at the same level as last year? Remains to be seen, but I sure hope that he does. Needs to have back-to-back good seasons and to remain relatively healthy.

Ingold - Good blocker, but difference maker on offense? We could lose him tomorrow and would our offense be hindered? Probably not. Mike McDaniel doesn’t use him enough even as a gadget player, but I get the blocking/thumper angle.

So by my count (and argument) I count two players as truly foundational pieces: Hill and Ramsey. Here’s the rub of it though, you’re looking at likely a two year window before the glass breaks.

Eichenberg and Ezukama are just bodies, and have done absolutely nothing impactful since being on the team. Are you noticing a trend yet? How about with Tindall? Cam Smith? All of them are synonymous with having accomplished zilch - if some of them even sniff the field.

Do you know what’s missing from this picture and the common thematic with the players you listed? Injuries, supposition, and the real lack of reliable trench grinders and space eaters of substance with a dog mentality. It’s simply not present, but they should be and also be the cornerstone for the team.

I’m not seeing what you see.
Those are the foundational players we have that they have invested in.

Yes two years it will be more of a rebuild or reload or what have you.

I see a rebuild as a total tear down and rebuilding of the foundation, that’s not what is happening here was
My only point.

With the foundational pieces in place that are quite good when healthy I would say, we really have about 6 more holes to fill, two of which can be filled in the draft and four more through free agency, and this team will have a chance to once again reach the playoffs and hopefully do better than last year.

Should be another exciting season to watch, hopefully we won’t end up as injured as last year.

Those are the foundational players we have that they have invested in.

Yes two years it will be more of a rebuild or reload or what have you.

I see a rebuild as a total tear down and rebuilding of the foundation, that’s not what is happening here was
My only point.

With the foundational pieces in place that are quite good when healthy I would say, we really have about 6 more holes to fill, two of which can be filled in the draft and four more through free agency, and this team will have a chance to once again reach the playoffs and hopefully do better than last year.

Should be another exciting season to watch, hopefully we won’t end up as injured as last year.

I would counter that just because a team invests and throws money at a player, does not make them a foundational piece. For me, it takes years of sustained success for that particular kind of label.

They can pay them like that, but it doesn’t magically transform them into better players on the field.

A lot of teams make that mistake every year, and some moreso than others. Giants and Jones immediately springs to mind.

From where I’m standing and my perspective, Grier’s approach looks like a Jackson Pollock montage. There’s very few impactful players of substance and leadership here, with a tenacious dog mentality.

I’ll just say that I hope that I’m wrong, and that you’re right.

Semantics...

Laser is arguing there are only two 'foundational' players and then lists our only 'elite' players...

And that's a straw man.

Foundational means they are extremely solid and that you build upon them. Hence... foundation.

By shifting the word into meaning all-pro, you've corrupted the argument.

Back
Top Bottom