Thoughts on K. Drake | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts on K. Drake

Dolphindrew

Starter
Club Member
Reaction score
I will start by saying I'm not anti-Drake in any way. Much like Grant, I had hoped he would get integrated into the offense this year to a much larger degree than he has. I feel he could be used a lot more in the passing game (3rd down) and in other scenarios, much like the Bears use their rookie RB (which doesn't slow down how much work Howard is getting there), but it really just seems like he's a non-factor. On KO returns, I feel he's extremely tentative instead of hitting a hole and settling for at least the 20 or 25 yard line, he dances and waits and gets tagged inside the 20 almost every time. Again, not anti-Drake, but if this is all we get out of him, is he a bust? Curious on everyone's thoughts, and if it's his lack of ability, or Gase just not using him correctly. He just seems like the kind of guy that if the Patriots got their hands on him, we'd regret it for a decade.

Won't know until he plays. People here said Gillislie couldn't play too. Even Orleans Darkwa is looking decent for the Giants now that he has a role. With steady usage in the right system Drake would be fine. Right now 95 % of all carries go to Ajayi. Drake, like Carroo and some other players, might be guys you don't really get a feel for until there are injuries ahead of them and they are forced into heavy usage.

A rb needs carries to get in a groove. Look at AP, he looked done the first few games with sporadic carries and wham, new team, featured back, and he lights it up.

I believe with the offense struggling and Drake not being a great contributer Gase is downsizing the playbook enough that Drakes time is being limited. If you need more points then you need your playmakers on the field as much as possible. Unfortunately Drake is not there yet. Would like to see both he and Grant run more north and south too on the kickoffs.

Have never previously seen any suggestion that Drake is a bust until this thread

And I didn't really even want to use that term, probably way too early, but 3rd round pick, pretty highly regarded. I guess my main point is I'd like to see him get more opportunity, and wonder why he isn't getting much. I think you can get him a lot more involved without impeding on Ajayi's touches (plus the fact eventually we will need to get Ajayi some help/rest).

A rb needs carries to get in a groove. Look at AP, he looked done the first few games with sporadic carries and wham, new team, featured back, and he lights it up.
Drake hasn't been the main ball carrier since he was in high school. At Alabama he was always behind one or two other running backs so that excuse doesn't work in this situation. He got limited carries all 4 years he was in college, he should know how to make the most of his limited opportunities.

Last year he did a poor job with his route running and dropped a few passes. If he wants more playing time he's got to make something happen when he gets on the field, force the coaches to look at him and play him more. He hasn't done that this year...not on special teams and not on the offense. He ranks 31st in the league in kick off returns.

I suspect his pass-pro still needs work. We need to find a way to get the ball in his hands more. It's starting to sound like a broken record, which worries me for his long term viability. If your not using a RB much his first 2 years in the league, there is a problem.

Some college stats:

233 carries, 1495 yards, 6.4 YPC, 18 TD's.

46 receptions, 570 yards, 12.4 YPR, 4 TD's.

279 total touches, 22 TD's. (23 if include his lone KO return TD)

In 2013, his sophomore year at Alabama, KD had his best season while splitting the rock with TJ Yeldon and Derrick Henry. 92 carries, 694 yards, 7.5 YPC and 8 rushing TD's.

Drake's junior season was shaping up to be his best until the injuries began, first with the broken leg. Dude had 6 TD's on just 27 total touches.

I like the kid, clearly the staff did too by making him a third round pick when we could've used a lot of help in other areas. I envisioned a Percy Harvin type player who can be on the field even when Ajayi is.

Edit: I thought I'd mention that I am pretty certain I like Jakeem Grant even more than Drake. Just one of those two guys needs to emerge for us.

Drake hasn't been the main ball carrier since he was in high school. At Alabama he was always behind one or two other running backs so that excuse doesn't work in this situation. He got limited carries all 4 years he was in college, he should know how to make the most of his limited opportunities.

Last year he did a poor job with his route running and dropped a few passes. If he wants more playing time he's got to make something happen when he gets on the field, force the coaches to look at him and play him more. He hasn't done that this year...not on special teams and not on the offense. He ranks 31st in the league in kick off returns.
idk, 37 carries in 21 games is like less than 2 opps a game running the rock. I would like to see some more carries before I give up hope on him. In college he had many more opps than 1.7 per game. Or maybe he sucks, who knows.

Won't know until he plays. People here said Gillislie couldn't play too. Even Orleans Darkwa is looking decent for the Giants now that he has a role. With steady usage in the right system Drake would be fine. Right now 95 % of all carries go to Ajayi. Drake, like Carroo and some other players, might be guys you don't really get a feel for until there are injuries ahead of them and they are forced into heavy usage.

It appears they were right.

He has ability. Maybe he tries too hard to make a big play each time he touches the ball. Sometimes you need to take a 2 yard gain and move on to the next down. He knows he can take it in anytime he touches the football but he needs to understand it won't happen every time. Gase trusts Williams more at this point

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom