Thoughts on last nights game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Albert Romano, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Since I said I would do it last nigbt- here is a quick recap of my thoughts from last night.

- Stadium looks even better than last year. Pedestrian flow from the parking lot to the stadium is muh easier and streamlined. You can't just enter from anywhere like before.
    - Encouraged by the play of the D line. I thought for the most part they controlled Atlantas run game at the POA - Second level will be more of a challenge should they defeat the DL though I suspect. Looks like we MAY be able to get through the year at DT etc
    - Thought the OL played a lttle better than expected especially with everyone out- QB's had time on most - not all- plays and running backs found some room.
    - We still can't get off the field on 3rd and long consistency, it almost seems like the longer the yards needed, the higher the probability that the other team will convert.

- Thoughts on some players-

- Storm Johnson has a chance to make the team if he doesn't put the ball on the ground (my complaint with him at UCF was too lackadaisical about ball security).
    - Like to see more of Lacey just to get more of a read on him.
    - Carroo made a great late adjustment on that catch. I was watching the play all the way and said to my wife he has him if he cuts inside of him an boom it happened and he held on. Similar to a play Stills made last year to ice a game.
    - no complaints about Grant last night- made catches and fielded kicks with confidence- one punt that was dying quick I thought he should have let bounce out of bounds but came up and made a diving slidding catch.
    -The punter job could become a competition.

Interested to see your guys thoughts on the game.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  2. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

13ktownguy likes this.
  3. Albert Romano

I will try later at the office. I didnt take too many just a few.

4. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

The 2nd and 3rd string players showed well. Perhaps that's an indication the depth on the team has improved. The embarrassment of riches at the WR position was on full display. I'm in love with OT Eric Smith and C Jake Brendel. Both played very well and looked like they belonged. In the case of Smith, I think he can transition into a starter in the near future, quite possibly as early as 2018. He's got talent. Davon Godchaux has been a true revelation at DT, because he didn't play like this too often at LSU. He showed flashes but never was consistent. But as someone pointed out, he's got heavy hands that helps him gain leverage. I may be going out on the lim here, but, this could be the last we've seen of Philips. I just don't see him past 2017, with the 2 DT's playing better than expected.

5. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I believe Slimm or j-off thought Smith could maybe play at guard, but he definitely looked comfortable at RT

Albert Romano likes this.
  6. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

I was a bit baffled as to why Smith went undrafted. It was Slimm and J-off who picked him out as a sleeper when Miami signed him. If he can play OG, it only enhances his chances. That whole unit that played the 1st half played way better then I imagined. Smith lead the charge.

7. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

I thought the 2nd and 3rd strings were remarkably better than in seasons past. They were actually executing at a professional level and making plays. Usually by the 3rd quarter in the 1st or 4th preseason games, it would be such a dozer because nobody could ever make a play...usually just a lot of incomplete balls on offense and breakdowns on defense. Guys on both sides were flying around last night and making plays. I think the crowd noticed the difference because they were into it.

NoblePhin, dolfan91 and Albert Romano like this.
  8. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Agree on most of it other than the o-line opening holes for the running game. I really didn't see much of that happening other than 2 or 3 times there just wasn't much there. I like the energy I saw from Harris but I was hoping to actually see him make a play. He had zero tackles. I know you can't grade a DE only by the number of tackles. He was coming but was biting hard on just about everything. Still, I believe he'll make some plays for us this year. I believe Hull, Allen and Lacy all had some good moments but remains to be seen if either of them will be good enough to start and play well. I'm not sold on Hewitt yet.

Ozzy rules!!

9. Albert Romano

Might have been a little generous on the running lanes comment - I did like a few runs from Drake and Storm though- still the YPR was only 2.7... so point noted.

Danny likes this.
  10. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Another game like last night, maybe against the B-team defensive opponents and it will be impossible to hide Stringfellow on the PS.

Beach Bum 91 likes this.
  11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Slimm is the guy that picked Eric Smith out of a hat, ranked him very high on his lists at a time when the media had him nowhere to be found, recommended that we all get a look at him as well. Credit to him where it's due. A few others of us liked what we saw after his recommendation. He had a good game. I thought Avery Young also had a decent game. They made a good combination on the right side, probably the only highlight of an otherwise sub-par line unit.

The story for me was the defensive depth particularly in the front seven. Every linebacker that got on the field looked pretty good and made some plays. Just about every DT did as well. Terrence Fede had a great game, as did Joby Saint Fleur for those who managed to pick him out on his 10-11 snaps.

Damore'ea Stringfellow did things we know he's capable of but he also did things that illustrate why he is where he is. He dropped two catchable balls, drew two unnecessary penalty flags. Every fourth or fifth catch, Stringfellow looks like he's trying to catch the football with two tennis rackets. BUT, the guy can run, he can get open, and when he does catch it, he can do things after the catch. The irony is you want to use him on YAC plays because of his RAC skills but those plays have to be high percentage and too often in college (and already in his first preseason game) he makes those plays into lower percentage plays because he fights the ball off like it's coated in anthrax.

Francis Owusu was the guy that surprised me. What I saw of him in college he didn't look like a real receiver, despite that one highlight reel catch for which he's singularly famous. I thought he should move to defense. But he finished two catches last night the way real receivers finish catches. We know he's a great athlete, compelling size/speed/athleticism guy. I guess never count out those great athletes with Stanford degrees.

12. Beach Bum 91

Beach Bum 91 Water Boy

I was laughing my butt off on that 99.5 yard TD run. He juked the CB and starting running his a$$ off like a horse to the barn. The safety said **** it and didn't want no part of him. For a guy his size (listed as 6'2 and 222lbs) he is deceptively fast. We seem to be doing a good job with our WR's. Too bad we don't have any real up and comers in the LB room (could really use a guy to take control like Zack did his rookie year). Not complaining too bad, though. I am still upset about losing McMillian. Happy some of our guys are developing!!!

13. Albert Romano

14. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Damn, he looked strong and nimble. That was great, thanks.

15. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Those Asiata clips show plus feet and a top heavy player. That kid will grind though

jhortondj2 likes this.
  16. hoops

hoops exited stage left

The stringfellow clip reminds me of the kid that Minnesota drafted in the first round that couldn't make it as a wr minus the pure top shelf speed. The kid they made a kick returner drafted top 20. Long and leggy and build up speed

The free from press release off the los by the corner on that 99 yard td is the kind of stuff that gets you cut. As was the safety play

insomnia411 likes this.
  17. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

The O-line looked pleasantly decent last night. Hopefully they can all come together and gel.

18. Sherif

Sherif Pro Bowler

One thing that I hate is lame comments by some in the Game Thread. Biggest whiner loser 300 messages or less post mfers make it look like the team stunk. Truth is they will get shredded in the pass game unless Howard, McCain and Lippett step up. Then the pass will open up the run game. 1 sack all game, so aside from a crappy first pre season game where the number one rule, stay healthy was broken, It sucked listening to fans who gripe and wait for a loss when none often comes.

insomnia411 and finomenal like this.
  19. warren4prez

warren4prez Well-Known Member

Jordan Lucas is someone I'm pulling for. He reminds of Rashad Jones.

VBCheeseGrater likes this.
  20. Sherif

Sherif Pro Bowler

Yes, He looks like he should be on the first team.

21. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

Funny that some people who are putting all of their stock in a few training camp tweets have Asiata as 50/50 to make the 53 man roster. Just goes to show you it's best to wait until September or until the coaches start publicly questioning a player before we should start taking too much of what we read or hear seriously.

Sherif likes this.
  22. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

William Hayes is the man!

Eric Smith might just save the depth situation at tackle.

McMillen is Chinatown, nothing you can do.

Godchaux and Taylor...GTFOH, they offset the bummer that is Raekwon.

Asiata looked damn good from the above post (couldn't watch 2nd half).

Our receiver unit is deeeeeeeeeeep.

23. NoblePhin

NoblePhin Starter Donator

Will Hayes was a monster. Our Dline is stacked and yes Fede actually looked pretty good as well.

Eric Smith played really well at RT all game

Like above, our Wrs are so deep so it's going to be fun watching who makes it

Hull was ok, really want to see Hewitt next game hopefully

4th cb is going to be interesting

DTS looked solid

24. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

Cordarrelle Patterson

phinphan4life and Albert Romano like this.
  25. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly" Finheaven VIP Donator

With the Raiders now, vying for the third receiver spot. He's having a good camp.

26. Fintastic2124

Fintastic2124 A True Fan

wow....i was just wondering about him today. So happy to see this. Maybe he could step in a start PS week 2?

I bet that #74 DT was ready for this game to be over. Asiata took him to the woodshed on those plays.

27. Beach Bum 91

Beach Bum 91 Water Boy

No expert here, but I hope the first play on the Asiata clip is telling. The dude appears to have his head on a swivel. He blocked his man, saw that Davis (#77) was losing contain on his guy and went over and blocked that guy. Sorry, I can't remember his name, but not too long ago we had a LG who looked like he couldn't see anything unless it was the guy right in front of him. I used to get frustrated watching defenders run around the guy and he would just stand there blocking nobody. Sometimes I would see that he didn't even have the decency to help Tannehill up after he got clobbered. Thankfully, he's no longer on the team. I think he was jettisoned by Gase.

28. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Those clips of Issac Asiata, makes you wonder how good he can be. He looks very aware and very strong. It could be, just a matter of time, with better conditioning and getting use to the heat of South Florida. It also brings to question another Omar blip from a radio interview he gave last week on the Hoch and Crowder show on WQAM, where he stated Asiata was not good at all. I realize He was playing against Third String players, but damn I was expecting something very disappointing, after listening to Omar. But to what seems, to everyone's delight, Asiata showed well, especially, in how he rides his guy into the 2nd level at times. I feel much better about this kid after realizing once again it's not wise to put too much credit into what Imar says.

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  29. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Jordan Lucas is the most disappointing player for me. He looks the part he just doesn't play like it when he's on the field playing defense.

I like what I saw from Charles Harris in a 4 point lined up wide. Showed a bull rush which he rarely used in college and a nice shoulder dip and ability to gain the inside shoulder. Two things that also showed lack of vision on the football and when he did flush the qb lacks the top end speed to really close. He's gonna need to get his sacks in the pocket. That 4.8 shows up when he's in full gallop. Still it looks to me like it should be the plan a sub edge rusher as a rookie which is all I really wanted to meet expectations. He played with more consistent ball pursuit effort than he showed in college too. Amazing how much that remedies itself when guys start collecting NFL pay checks.

I also liked what I saw from marquis gray. Caught a tough fully extended away from him bullet on his first catch most guys tip into the air when a guys on their back for an int and he looks like Miami is gonna be more comfortable giving him option routes this year. Definitely looks like there's development there. Also he got some split wide looks too ran a stop route vs off doughty threw in the seats but Miami never split him last year. That's a sneaky resign by the team I'm sure it was dirt cheap too.

Miami might be grooming Trevor Reilly at strong down the road. Hell he might be the 2 deep strong right now.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't say cordrea tankersley tackled more than I ever saw in college. Even had a nice must fill and force inside on the edge stop in run support at the los. Some hesitation in his transition back to the ball or man but not a bad showing. Reminds me of Byron maxwell a lot. Active hands a little stiff. High level ball skills and ball awareness.

Miamis got a lot of developmental types in camp we don't want to play with this year but might add up to something in 2018 or 2019.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  30. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

Hayes and Fede move exceptionally well for big men. The defense appeared to be quite a bit faster than a year ago.

31. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Hoops - I really didn't think Reilly was too bad, seemed like he (and Allen) were around the ball a lot

32. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Needs more of an NFL body. Reilly that is. Strong is heavy poa and take on he doesn't have the NFL ready body to me for it. But maybe down the road he will.

I didn't see anything yesterday that looked like it could man strong in a game if something happened to Timmons.

Travis34 likes this.
  33. Albert Romano

Fede is such a question mark to me. He seems to show in pre season and camp - happenes every year but when the games roll around- not so much.

I undrestand its different during games than practice but how much longer do we wait on him? I thought going in this was a make or break year for him. Warmsley is still around also after a great pre season but that was about it.

I was surprised last year that Lucas made the active roster as opposed to the PS, someone in the coaching staff must be a big advocate.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Fin Fan in Cali likes this.
  34. JJM_7

JJM_7 A True Fan

PFF on our first rounder:

Beach Bum 91 and Albert Romano like this.
  35. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Anyone have a sense of whether Eric Smith can play LT, feet wise? Maybe he can be a swing tackle. Big kudos to Slimm on that one. Very good call.

36. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

I didn't see this blazing first step the people claimed Charles Harris has. He got close to the QB a few times, but it looked more like it was a result of hustle and not speed. Nothing wrong with that, but I was expecting a different kind of player.

I liked Storm. I watched him at UCF and he looks like he's become more fluid and less of a power guy. I thought Damien Williams didn't have the burst he normally has. He had a few opportunity but didn't hit the hole fast enough. I think we are going to see more Drake on 3rd downs.

Grant had a great jumping catch near the sideline. I thought one of the fair catches was a returnable kick. I'm wondering if he's being too conservative with kicks because he had some issues last year.

Looking forward to seeing players battle for the LG, slot CB, and LB spots next week.

37. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I saw Charles Harris explosive first step it lost a little bit of the luster after that initial step he needs to once he gains the shoulder be able to discard or he will be ridden by the qb. Something to look for in the next few preseason games.

He got dumped off balance on the move by a tight end lack of awareness of what's coming. Can't have des chucked by marginal in line tight ends.

38. BenchFiedler

BenchFiedler Undrafted Pro-Bowler

Against the Dolphins O-Line in practice, he looks like a pro-bowler. But he should be able to take advantage of favorable matchups like him vs. a TE.

39. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Not Quite A Shredder Finheaven VIP

In the running for the least mentioned player on finheaven I think.....Looking forward to checking him out (among many others of course) when attending a preseason game in a few weeks.

40. NoblePhin

NoblePhin Starter Donator

I thought Duarte was going to be intriguing to watch since we basically redshirted him last year, but he didn't look like that good of a prospect to me.