TJ McDonald | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

TJ McDonald

So basically T.J Mcdonald is exactly what the doctors ordered? He is the missing piece to make this defense "Great Again"???

Jones is Not a Free Safety and TJ Mcdonald plays like a linebacker. We will have 2 SS on the field and no real FS. Besides Tank, Howard is definitely not as good as advertised and CB will be a high priority in the draft or Free agency.

According to PFF grades, that prize would actually go to Xavien Howard, who is well on his way to bustville with his grade of 37.4. He is ranked 104th in the league, that is just a couple rungs from the bottom of the ladder.

Tunsil and Howard are the two most disappointing players on the team so far. It figured as a down season based on historical trends but there was hope some young guys could establish as stars of the future.

I'm looking forward to T.J. McDonald. Part of the safety legacy from USC.

This is the perfect game perfect to get him back. The run oriented offense it way better for TJ than having to play a top notch passing game for his first game back. I know it's an annoying time to be a Fin fan but this defense is definitely something to get excited about for the future. We have a lot of young talented players that are getting better. Howard, Tankersley, both rookie DTs, and Harris (He's progressed IMO) are a going to be Dolphins for awhile if they continue to just show progression. We should see a HUGE difference between Mcdonald and Allen. This secondary could make some real noise as they get older. PHINS UP!!

Never quite understood what people are looking at that tells them jones can play fs and or ss. He has the speed he has the range and he's a hitter.

McDonald can definitely hit

I think Jones is capable of playing FS for those reasons you mentioned above. TJ is better than many think IMO. I guess we'll see this week

According to PFF grades, that prize would actually go to Xavien Howard, who is well on his way to bustville with his grade of 37.4. He is ranked 104th in the league, that is just a couple rungs from the bottom of the ladder.

I know you don't make the PFF grades so don't think I'm referring to you lol There's been nothing to put Xavien even close to a bust. I actually think he's is turning into a shutdown CB. As accurate as PFF is for some, I think that is laughable. The guy has been a reliable CB that hasn't made any big plays but is def someone we can count on to lock down on receivers. If anyone truly thinks there's 103 CBs ahead of Xavien then I would ask them if they have eyes. He's far from a bust. Neither is Tunsil. He handled the "DPOY" last game when he was asked to do so. They're both learning and surprisingly I think Howard is ahead of Tunsil so far. If we want to talk about bad misses Eli Apple comes to mind. They could have had Tunsil and drafted Apple who is worse than Howard IMHO. Family are Giant fans so I watch a lot of Giant football lol Howard is the least of our problems

Why should we care what PFF says? Bustville? Seriously?

Ya that shows how stupid PFF is. The guy is far from a bust and quite the opposite. I'm not worried one bit with Xavien. He is turning into a stud. I know it's early but just watch. I love what we have with Tank but he's probably ranked above Howard yet isn't even in the same league as of now. I'm still trying to think of what Howard has done wrong. I have great confidence in him. Right now, that's hard to say for anyone so that's saying something. To actually have a "legit" website and rank an up and coming CB 104 is why people hate PFF. 103 CBs that are better!! lol HAHA that's great. A secondary of Tank, Reshad, TJ, and Howard will be a strong unit IMO.

If you have watched the Dolphins over the years . . . a competent FS has "always" made this defense better and when that FS gets hurt, the defense is ALWAYS worse.

We have never needed a superstar at the position. Go back to Renaldo Hill in 2008. He was a combo safety type, but he took over for the Worrell/Allen combo and held down the position. Even Chris Clemmons did a decent job. Lou Delmas was fantastic and the defense was devastated when he went down. And IAQ was the glue last year.

Hell as unspectacular as Nate Allen has been, you really saw how missed he was on Sunday in comparison to having Michael Thomas in there, who just does not belong on this defense in any capacity.

When you have a SS like Reshad Jones who often needs to go off script to be successful, you need a solid FS to back that up. TJ more than fits that description. No he doesn't have Earl Thomas range, but people are selling him short.

I'm pretty excited about that safety duo we have back there.

Tunsil and Howard are the two most disappointing players on the team so far. It figured as a down season based on historical trends but there was hope some young guys could establish as stars of the future.

I'm looking forward to T.J. McDonald. Part of the safety legacy from USC.
No worries. Draft can fix that easy. Draft LT in the 1st and move Tunsil to Guard. Then we got Lippet coming back. Think that can work with mixing them up with Lippet, Tank and Howard.

No worries. Draft can fix that easy. Draft LT in the 1st and move Tunsil to Guard. Then we got Lippet coming back. Think that can work with mixing them up with Lippet, Tank and Howard.

Tunsil is going to either be the Dolphins LT or somebody's else for awhile. The chances of us drafting a LT to replace Tunsil are worse than us resigning Jarvis Landry. There's no way we draft a first round LT after drafting Tunsil 2 years ago. We gotta give these guys a chance before we talk about replacing them lol Tunsil just handled the DPOY and they highlighted that in the game. I've been wrong before but think about that. The coaching staff has backed Tunsil even after a bad game. Look how well he did when the Rbs were actually sticking to their assignments. The coaching staff seems fully on board with Tunsil at LT.

Last edited:
If you have watched the Dolphins over the years . . . a competent FS has "always" made this defense better and when that FS gets hurt, the defense is ALWAYS worse.

We have never needed a superstar at the position. Go back to Renaldo Hill in 2008. He was a combo safety type, but he took over for the Worrell/Allen combo and held down the position. Even Chris Clemmons did a decent job. Lou Delmas was fantastic and the defense was devastated when he went down. And IAQ was the glue last year.

Hell as unspectacular as Nate Allen has been, you really saw how missed he was on Sunday in comparison to having Michael Thomas in there, who just does not belong on this defense in any capacity.

When you have a SS like Reshad Jones who often needs to go off script to be successful, you need a solid FS to back that up. TJ more than fits that description. No he doesn't have Earl Thomas range, but people are selling him short.

I'm pretty excited about that safety duo we have back there.

I hope you're right about McDonald. I really think a quality FS is underrated to the success of a D.

Tunsil is going to either be the Dolphins LT or somebody's else for awhile. The chances of us drafting a LT to replace Tunsil are worse than us resigning Jarvis Landry. There's no way we draft a first round LT after drafting Tunsil 2 years ago. We gotta give these guys a chance before we talk about replacing them lol Tunsil just handled the DPOY and they highlighted that in the game. I've been wrong before but think about that. The coaching staff has backed Tunsil even after a bad game. Look how well he did when the Rbs were actually sticking to their assignments. The coaching staff seems fully on board with Tunsil at LT.

I was watching him a lot vs. Oakland, thought he played very well. He and James are critical to this teams success now and in the future. We need to find a way to keep both Juice and Ja'wuan imo, even if that's at the expense of Pouncey.

I was watching him a lot vs. Oakland, thought he played very well. He and James are critical to this teams success now and in the future. We need to find a way to keep both Juice and Ja'wuan imo, even if that's at the expense of Pouncey.

Ya I thought so as well. Keeping Landry and James is critical even if it means losing Pouncey. Tunsil and James both shut down Mack and deserve credit. To even think about drafting a LT and putting Tunsil at guard is crazy. Tunsil would more likely play RT if Jawuan leaves rather than putting him at guard. Not happening but just sayin there's a better chance which is about zero chance. He's not leaving LT for many many years whether it be with us or another squad. There's probably 15-20 teams that would gladly take Tunsil off our hands lol Why don't we just get a natural guard and leave the Tackles the way they are?

Agreed. There's no way to replace all 5 OLmen and, for now, no evidence such an extreme move is necessary. Small realistic steps. James and Tunsil stay. I think Larsen will do well.

I know some will disagree but Louis Delmas was the best FS the Dolphins had since the Brock Marion era. Delmas and Jones made a great Safety combo. Too bad Delmas couldn't stay healthy.

Back
Top Bottom