Top 5 Hitters in Baseball | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 5 Hitters in Baseball

Boik14 said:
because coming in to this year thats all rios was.

I thought these names such as Alex Rios, Nick Swisher and Joe Mauer entered the discussion because NJFINSFAN1 wanted to make a list based strictly on offensive production 2 months into the 2006 season?

In this case, its irrelevent what Alex Rios was "coming into this year."

FaninPatsyLand said:
I thought these names such as Alex Rios, Nick Swisher and Joe Mauer entered the discussion because NJFINSFAN1 wanted to make a list based strictly on offensive production 2 months into the 2006 season?

to be fair to Mauer, he hit over .300 in his shortened rookie year, and .296 last year. And currently has the best average in the majors. Don't know if that will last, but there is a reason why he went number 1 overall before Mark Prior, and why most experts feel he'd be the number one prospect in the country if he was still in the minors.

even if it's early, .358 is pretty damn good for anybody, especially a catcher.

FaninPatsyLand said:

Right but im saying based soleyly off of this year youd be right. But combining this year with past years, hence finding a reasonable expectation level, you can find the players who truly belong on the list. Typically players who have break out years tend to start out hot and slow down in the second half. Therefore, what a players done for the 1st 2 months doesnt necessarily outweigh the past or the future.

ChambersWI said:
to be fair to Mauer, he hit over .300 in his shortened rookie year, and .296 last year. And currently has the best average in the majors. Don't know if that will last, but there is a reason why he went number 1 overall before Mark Prior, and why most experts feel he'd be the number one prospect in the country if he was still in the minors.

even if it's early, .358 is pretty damn good for anybody, especially a catcher.

I love Mauer, he's a hitting machine. However, if we're talking about the top 5 hitters in baseball then he shouldn't be in the discussion. If we pick up this topic 3 or 4 years down the road after he grows into his own body and develops some power, he could very well be here. But not yet..

Boik14 said:
Right but im saying based soleyly off of this year youd be right. But combining this year with past years, hence finding a reasonable expectation level, you can find the players who truly belong on the list. Typically players who have break out years tend to start out hot and slow down in the second half. Therefore, what a players done for the 1st 2 months doesnt necessarily outweigh the past or the future.

Right, but what's your point? Basically this whole discussion comes down to one very simple point: The list is going to be vastly different if we're talking about the top 5 hitters overall, or top 5 hitters 2 months into the 2006 season.

Any list of top-5 hitters starts and ends with Albert Pujols. It doesn't matter if you're talking 2-3 months, or two to three years.

Especially if you're someone who believes Bonds had "help".

Man I didn't feel like going thru the pages but the top 5 should be:

Albert Pujois (could really do some special things this year, and the best start to a career in Major League history, the best there is right now, he has proven it)
Vlad Guerrero (best overall offensive player IMO, the man is easily a 40/40 guy when healthy, and can hit for a high average as well)
Ichiro (amazing hitter, a no brainer to be in the top 5)
Barry Bonds (from the junk he sees he makes a whole lot out of a whole little, roids doesn't help w/ vision, and Bonds has the best eye in the game)
Pudge Rodriguez (my sleeper . . . this guy can hit, very underrated as a top hitter, will probably not be considered top 5 by anybody else, but he is consistent and extremely clutch)

Others:
Jeter
Arod
Manny Ramirez
Miguel Cabrera
Big Papi

djfresh47 said:
That's a pretty bold statement especially since Sizemore isn't the most feared hitter in their lineup. I know what Ozzie said last year but I don't see it. Paul Konerko/Torii Hunter/Joe Mauer are the three best players in the Central, IMO. Hafner is the best hitter in the Indians lineup I rarely see him not hit the ball hard.

ha come on now, your just upset cause the indians just beat the chi soxs 3 out of 4 games and guess who had the biggest part of that.......drum roll please......Grady Sizemore. in the three wins, grady went, 5-9, with a triple, 3 walks, 4 rbis and 2 sbs.....with the pitchers the soxs have, i would have to say thats pretty darn good for anyone....in a couple years grady will be the indians #3 hiiter probably avg .320, 30hrs, 100 rbis and 30-40 sbs....yes its only his 2nd full year. the potenital is there...the indians wouldnt have gave him a 6 year deal for nothing...as for hafter well ya, you cant really compaire a lead off hitter with a clean up hitter. hafter has been stuggling lately thou so is avg is dropping. also i would say besides konerko, i would rate sizemore well above hunter and mauer....my top 5 hitter in the majors would be....

Sizemore
M. Ramirez
Pujols
Guerrero
Soriano

some honerable mention goes to--
ortiz, carlos lee, m. cabrera, arod, and jeter

marke27 said:
....my top 5 hitter in the majors would be....

Sizemore
M. Ramirez
Pujols
Guerrero
Soriano

arod as an honerale mention? :sidelol: :sidelol:

Soriano is good, not at this level though. And Sizemore? SIZEMORE? :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: Come on man, please.

Kdawg954 said:
Man I didn't feel like going thru the pages but the top 5 should be:

Albert Pujois (could really do some special things this year, and the best start to a career in Major League history, the best there is right now, he has proven it)
Vlad Guerrero (best overall offensive player IMO, the man is easily a 40/40 guy when healthy, and can hit for a high average as well)
Ichiro (amazing hitter, a no brainer to be in the top 5)
Barry Bonds (from the junk he sees he makes a whole lot out of a whole little, roids doesn't help w/ vision, and Bonds has the best eye in the game)
Pudge Rodriguez (my sleeper . . . this guy can hit, very underrated as a top hitter, will probably not be considered top 5 by anybody else, but he is consistent and extremely clutch)

Others:
Jeter
Arod
Manny Ramirez
Miguel Cabrera
Big Papi

Pudge is washed up. And even when he was at his best, he wasn't Top 5 in the game. EVER. Ichiro's numbers drop every year. He is on the downside of his career. And when a singles hitter is on the downside, there isn't much to hang your hat on.

MikeO said:
Pudge is washed up. And even when he was at his best, he wasn't Top 5 in the game. EVER. Ichiro's numbers drop every year. He is on the downside of his career. And when a singles hitter is on the downside, there isn't much to hang your hat on.

Pudge has always been a clutch hitter tho, not to mention he consistently hits over .300. He had one amazing year at Texas I will never forget. I believe he hit like .335, with 35 homers and 120 rbi's or sumthin like that, and had like 30 stolen bases and a gold glove. All opinion, I just like him as a hitter. And I'm basing this on career stats not for this year.

Kdawg954 said:
Pudge has always been a clutch hitter tho, not to mention he consistently hits over .300. He had one amazing year at Texas I will never forget. I believe he hit like .335, with 35 homers and 120 rbi's or sumthin like that, and had like 30 stolen bases and a gold glove. All opinion, I just like him as a hitter. And I'm basing this on career stats not for this year.

You can take his career stats and multiple it by 2 he still isn't a Top 5 hitter. He still isn't in the company of Pujols, Arod, Manny, Vlad, and Cabera.

marke27 said:
ha come on now, your just upset cause the indians just beat the chi soxs 3 out of 4 games and guess who had the biggest part of that.......drum roll please......Grady Sizemore. in the three wins, grady went, 5-9, with a triple, 3 walks, 4 rbis and 2 sbs.....with the pitchers the soxs have, i would have to say thats pretty darn good for anyone....in a couple years grady will be the indians #3 hiiter probably avg .320, 30hrs, 100 rbis and 30-40 sbs....yes its only his 2nd full year. the potenital is there...the indians wouldnt have gave him a 6 year deal for nothing...as for hafter well ya, you cant really compaire a lead off hitter with a clean up hitter. hafter has been stuggling lately thou so is avg is dropping. also i would say besides konerko, i would rate sizemore well above hunter and mauer....my top 5 hitter in the majors would be....

Sizemore
M. Ramirez
Pujols
Guerrero
Soriano

Your post is definition of homerism. Sizemore over Pujols and Guerrero?

Come on now. I might listen to your argument if you said Manny over Pujols (you'd still be wrong), but at least there's something to base your argument on.

Grady Sizemore the best hitter in the entire GAME? Come on now.

PhinsTD said:
Your post is definition of homerism. Sizemore over Pujols and Guerrero?

Come on now. I might listen to your argument if you said Manny over Pujols (you'd still be wrong), but at least there's something to base your argument on.

Grady Sizemore the best hitter in the entire GAME? Come on now.
r

ummm actually i wasnt naming those top 5 in any order, i just said those would be my top 5 all around best hitter...probably pujols #1 followed by ramirez, guerraro, sizemore then sorieno

marke27 said:

Sizemore
M. Ramirez
Pujols
Guerrero
Soriano

It wouldn't matter if the Indians swept the Chisox. Your expectations for Sizemore are pretty high. If he does that he'd be the best player in baseball pretty high expectations for a guy who has played one year. Putting him above A-Rod is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom