Top 5 Hitters in Baseball | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 5 Hitters in Baseball

culpepper2chambers said:
if someone is going to do a crazy shift and the batter doesnt take advantage of it, then the batter isnt really a good all around hitter imo.

did you miss all of last year when they shifted on both of them?

culpepper2chambers said:
OL teddy is before my times.

Williams was the first person that ever had a shift put on him, yet he kept hitting into it. When asked by reporters why he didn't go the other way to just end it he responded by saying "I could do that every time up and get a hit but what would be the fun in that?"

That my friends is the greatest hitter ever.

culpepper2chambers said:
this is best all around. there was talk about lee gettin the triple crown last year. if u ask me thats a pretty good all around hitter.

how can you say that about last year and not include Bonds and Ortiz?

culpepper2chambers said:
bonds only played 14 games last year. when ortiz hits it to the left then ill put him on the list.

Ortiz does hit the ball to LF, just not on the ground. Hence the reason for the shift. He has numerous home runs over the years over the Green Monster and tons of balls off the wall.

Boik14 said:
correct, it was a GW
I'm pretty sure it just tied the game :confused:

MikeO, I have to agree with your list.

Regarding the all-time greats, Lou Gehrig gets so little respect historically. His numbers are staggering. 1995 RBIs batting BEHIND Ruth. How the hell do you knock in 170+ twice and 180+ once behing the Babe? Lifetime .340 average playing every day.

ChambersWI said:
but Wright also plays on a team where he is the 3rd most feared hitter. (Beltran and Delgado are going to get less pitches than Wright). Hell, even Floyd is a decent hitter at times.

I'm not saying Wright isn't good, I'm just saying that Miggy is better.
Sorry, but no way is Beltran more feared than Wright at this point. Beltran ahs Delgado and Wright behind him, when Wright has Floyd batting <.230 behind him.

finswin56 said:
I'm pretty sure it just tied the game :confused:

MikeO, I have to agree with your list.

Regarding the all-time greats, Lou Gehrig gets so little respect historically. His numbers are staggering. 1995 RBIs batting BEHIND Ruth. How the hell do you knock in 170+ twice and 180+ once behing the Babe? Lifetime .340 average playing every day.

You're absolutely right. Gehrig should be on my list I made of the top 5 ever. Shame on me.

culpepper2chambers said:
if someone is going to do a crazy shift and the batter doesnt take advantage of it, then the batter isnt really a good all around hitter imo.

I've seen teams use the shift on Jim Thome this year. I would call him a good all-around hitter. Some guys are notorious pull hitters like Ortiz/Thome and they could beat the shift by laying down a bunt but I don't think either of them are in the lineup to bunt guys over.

How can you guys forget Todd Helton? He only has the highest career batting average of ALL current major league players. Yes, even higher than Pujols and Ichiro. :eek:

even thou he is only batting right around the .300 mark.....there is no player in the game with more tools as a player then grady sizemore....ozzie guillen didnt say he was the best player in the AL central for nothing.

Ray Finkle said:
Best Hitters All Time:
Ted Williams
Babe Ruth
Joe Dimiaggio
Willie Mays
Ty Cobb

Honorable mentions: Mickey Mantle, Lou Gehrig, Pete Rose

Right now:
Albert Pujols
Manny Ramirez
Alex Rodriguez
Vlad Guerrero
David Ortiz

Honorable mentions: Ken Griffey Jr., Barry Bonds

In no order, I just listed them.

I'd take both Pete Rose and Tony Gwynn over Dimaggio. Even Mantle.....

Back
Top Bottom