Top 5 Hitters in Baseball | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 5 Hitters in Baseball

FaninPatsyLand said:
Agree 100% again, damn this is kinda weird.

Although in Ortiz's defense when it comes to the shift, most people including myself don't want to see him take advantage of the shift by dropping down a bunt (and I know you weren't implying that Manny would drop down a bunt either, he'd simply take the ball the other way). But you are completely correct that Manny is a better "hitter" who uses the entire field on a more frequent basis.

If Ortiz is ever told to bunt the manager should be fired ASAP. And Ortiz should be fined a game-check if he does it on his own.

Pujols
Manny
ARod
Miguel Cabrera
Bonds
Ortiz
Vlad

i cant leave anyone off so i got 7.

MikeO said:
I disagree with this Manny and Ortiz being 5a and 5b.

Ortiz is more of a "feared" hitter than he is a "great" hitter. Manny can take the ball the other way and do many more things at the plate. Put it this way, if you put that kind of shift on when Manny hits, Manny would try to take advantage of it. Ortiz doens't try to at all.

Ortiz is a very good hitter and all. This isn't a knock, but he isn't 5b to Manny being 5a. Manny is clearly a Top 5 hitter. Ortiz is in that next group on the outside of the Top 5. He might even be #6, but he isn't Top 5.
Agreed. Manny is the best right handed hitter baseball has seen in a very long time....
David Ortiz is in part a product of Manny's greatness. In Minny Ortiz was good, in Boston with Manny hes been sick.

FaninPatsyLand said:
No he's not, Miguel Cabrera is. Look at the numbers.
Eh, ok for now he is. Still in a big spot id take wright and his clutch-ability (is that even a word?).

MikeO said:
I disagree with this Manny and Ortiz being 5a and 5b.

Ortiz is more of a "feared" hitter than he is a "great" hitter. Manny can take the ball the other way and do many more things at the plate. Put it this way, if you put that kind of shift on when Manny hits, Manny would try to take advantage of it. Ortiz doens't try to at all.

Ortiz is a very good hitter and all. This isn't a knock, but he isn't 5b to Manny being 5a. Manny is clearly a Top 5 hitter. Ortiz is in that next group on the outside of the Top 5. He might even be #6, but he isn't Top 5.

Yup, I agree with you too. Ortiz like you said isn't a top 5 hitter but would be in the next grouping. He doesn't hit for a high average, so that hurts him.

The shift problem with Ortiz is that he can't hit the ball on the ground the other way just in the air. If MLB teams didn't use the shift Ortiz would probably be batting .400 (no joke).

Boik14 said:
Eh, ok for now he is. Still in a big spot id take wright and his clutch-ability (is that even a word?).

Wright is good, but Miggy is better. The only thing Wright has on Miggy is defense (and that's because Cabs has played 3 different positions since being called up, and this is his first full year at 3B).

IMO right now the two best hitters are Pujols and Cabs (note I said right now so I'm excluding Bonds and Sheffield). then I would put Manny,Vlad, and A-Rod.

By the end of the year, I truely belive Joe Maur will be pushing to make that list.

ChambersWI said:
By the end of the year, I truely belive Joe Maur will be pushing to make that list.

He's a good hitter however I think he needs a few more healthy years to get into the top 5.

I think Wright will be there by this time next year, but he's not there yet. He's in the next tier of players in my opinion just waiting to make the jump.

ChambersWI said:
Wright is good, but Miggy is better. The only thing Wright has on Miggy is defense (and that's because Cabs has played 3 different positions since being called up, and this is his first full year at 3B).
Wright also has 3 GW hits this year to miggy's 1. Wright will be neck and neck with Cabrera soon enough though. Cabrera's also got more MLB experience. Wright just got his 1000th AB, Miggy's got about 700 more abs's and wright had every bit as good a 2nd full season. The fact that wright is doing it in such a baseball crazy city makes it that much more difficult

Boik14 said:
Wright also has 3 GW hits this year to miggy's 1.

Wright is on the best team in baseball and Miggy might be on the worst. Please, weak argument.

MikeO said:
Wright is on the best team in baseball and Miggy might be on the worst. Please, weak argument.
part of the reason for that is because the mets have 9 last AB wins, something hes been a huge part of. There's no stat to account for it but it gets accounted for much the same way Jeter gets accounted for in every argument when talking about the best players in baseball. Its not an argument alone but when you have stats that compare reasonably it has to be factored...

Besides why are we continuing this topic when i said a few posts back cabrera was better?

MikeO said:

you obviously have not caught the Royals play :lol:

No matter how good of a team Wright is one, he has proved to be clutch.

MikeO said:

I wouldn't say worst. Sure the Marlins have a bad record now, but are 6-2 on their homestand, and a lot of the rookies are starting to hit consistently. Plus, the BP is stepping up.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but they're getting better.

Boik14 said:
Wright also has 3 GW hits this year to miggy's 1. Wright will be neck and neck with Cabrera soon enough though. Cabrera's also got more MLB experience. Wright just got his 1000th AB, Miggy's got about 700 more abs's and wright had every bit as good a 2nd full season. The fact that wright is doing it in such a baseball crazy city makes it that much more difficult

but Wright also plays on a team where he is the 3rd most feared hitter. (Beltran and Delgado are going to get less pitches than Wright). Hell, even Floyd is a decent hitter at times.

I'm not saying Wright isn't good, I'm just saying that Miggy is better.

Back
Top Bottom