Top 5 RB's in the NFL | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 5 RB's in the NFL

Ricky was on that list, near the top before he had his meltdown last year. I'm sure he didn't forget how to run and will likely add another solid 10 lbs during his suspension.

Yeah my Top 5 would be:

1. Tomlinson
2. Alexander
3. Lewis
4. Holmes (if he could stay healthy he would be 1)
5. James

Dominick Davis is Top 10. Don't leave him out

dolfreak said:
1.LT - Best in the League....on pace to end up as BEST EVER

2. Shaun - Almost as consistent as LT but on a Better team last couple of years

3. EJ - Smart Runner with good hands and solid production every year

4.Priest - TD machine mostly in the Red Zone, best O-line in NFL Helps

5. Jamal - Most Aggressive runner in the league, good luck tackling him.

priest holmes is the best at letting blocks develop

Justasportsfan said:
LT had a 3.9 ypc last year.

what was RW average in his last year w/ the fins? 3.5

So they were both average by your logic?

Willis was tied for 4th w/ rushing td's in his first yr. while a lot of you guys say we had a crappy OL and yet you say he's average?

3.9 ypc is an off year for Tomlinson. His career average is 4.3.

I didn't say Willis was average did I? I merely stated that his numbers were average and that should keep him out of the top 5 ranking.

First I have to ask the question...are we rating the Top 5 backs in terms of production or pure talent? Cause they are so many factors to consider...it's like comparing Ribs vs. Steak without have a clear judging criteria.

People are using yardage as argument for their Top 5 backs, but hardly anyone has Tiki Barber and Curtis Martin in their Top 5 list. Even though both backs were in the Top 5 in terms of Yardage production last year. So saying that if McGahee would have played all 16 games he would have had 1500+ yds...hence making him a Top5 back is rediculous. We have two backs who did rush for 1500+ yds, with a 4.7yds/car (Tiki) and 4.6 yds/car (Curtis Martin) while McGahee has a 4.0yds/car average. So for those making those arguments for someone out of pure biasness should apply their criteria for everyone and see where their backs line up in terms of Top 5.

My criteria is this...proven year after year consistent production and has always displayed their immense talent.

Proven, hence should be consider for Top 5:
LT, Curtis Martin, Shaun Alexander, Corey Dillon, Edgerrin James, Tiki Barber, Ahman Green, Deuce McAllister, Jamal Lewis, Priest Holmes, Ahman Green

Immense Talent, until further proven should be left out of consideration of Top 5 backs:
Ricky Williams (Took a year off, needs to reprove himself), Rudi Johnson, Clinton Portis (Production drop off without Denver's Oline), Reuben Droughns, Fred Taylor (Consistently Injured, never really proven sustain production), Domanick Davis, Kevin Jones, Willis McGahee, Julius Jones, Steven Jackson

Don't know where to put them:
Warrick Dunn, Chris Brown, Duce Staley, Brian Westbrook, Travis Henry, LaMont Jordan, Michael Bennett

LT had Pro Bowl caliber seasons behind a mediocre and above average oline. You put LT behind Kansas City's oline and I guarentee he breaks the NFL rushing record.

Marino4Life said:
First I have to ask the question...are we rating the Top 5 backs in terms of production or pure talent? Cause they are so many factors to consider...it's like comparing Ribs vs. Steak without have a clear judging criteria.

People are using yardage as argument for their Top 5 backs, but hardly anyone has Tiki Barber and Curtis Martin in their Top 5 list. Even though both backs were in the Top 5 in terms of Yardage production last year. So saying that if McGahee would have played all 16 games he would have had 1500+ yds...hence making him a Top5 back is rediculous. We have two backs who did rush for 1500+ yds, with a 4.7yds/car (Tiki) and 4.6 yds/car (Curtis Martin) while McGahee has a 4.0yds/car average. So for those making those arguments for someone out of pure biasness should apply their criteria for everyone and see where their backs line up in terms of Top 5.

My criteria is this...proven year after year consistent production and has always displayed their immense talent.

Proven, hence should be consider for Top 5:
LT, Curtis Martin, Shaun Alexander, Corey Dillon, Edgerrin James, Tiki Barber, Ahman Green, Deuce McAllister, Jamal Lewis, Priest Holmes, Ahman Green

Immense Talent, until further proven should be left out of consideration of Top 5 backs:
Ricky Williams (Took a year off, needs to reprove himself), Rudi Johnson, Clinton Portis (Production drop off without Denver's Oline), Reuben Droughns, Fred Taylor (Consistently Injured, never really proven sustain production), Domanick Davis, Kevin Jones, Willis McGahee, Julius Jones, Steven Jackson

Don't know where to put them:
Warrick Dunn, Chris Brown, Duce Staley, Brian Westbrook, Travis Henry, LaMont Jordan, Michael Bennett

Good points except I think you need to include Fred Taylor in the same category as Edge. Edge has missed more games in the last three seasons than Taylor. Taylor has a much better ypc.

1. Tomlinson
2. Alexander
3. Martin
4. Edge
5. Lewis

I can't put Holmes on the list because, Derrick Blaylock and Larry Johnson looked like all pro's running behind his line, plus he can't seem to stay healthy. There are alot of good backs in the league, and you can make a case for a number of different backs to be in the top 5, but the most underrated back in the league besides Martin, IMO is Domanick Davis, the guy get's no credit but is a very good player.

Here is my list...

1) LT
2) Priest Holmes
3) Shaun Alexander
4) Edgerrin James
5) Jamal Lewis
6) Curtis Martin
7) Deuce McAllister
8) Clinton Portis
9) Corey Dillon
10)Willis McGahee/Ahman Green

Back