Trestman upset over OC snub | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trestman upset over OC snub

bigmiamifan

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
From the Herald-
The Dolphins have diversified their offense, adding new patterns and emphasizing play action. But we hear if assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Marc Trestman had his way, more creative ideas would be incorporated.

However, coach Dave Wannstedt remains committed to a no-frills Ricky Williams-anchored offense. Trestman, who did a masterful job running Oakland's offense, was disappointed about being passed over for the coordinator job, according to an associate.

I was wondering why at the time it said Trestman didn't want the job, that he was fine doing the QBs, I guess that was BS. I like that he's at least putting out his opinions.

I seriously think if Dave is gone, maybe Trestman will be promoted.

If he supplied Wanny w/ barley legal pictures, he'd have the job. DUH!

Ok that was pretty funny.

Anywho, I don't get particularly excited by Trestman as an offensive coordinator...but I do know he's very good with quarterbacks. He's just use to running his own show for so long that he wants all these frills in the offense. Frills sound nice but they don't necessarily work. They didn't work in Oakland during Trestman's last year there...even before Gannon went down with injury.

He's going to just have to get use to not being the designer of an offense.

The frills that Trestman wants to add to the offense that Wanny does not like is PASSING.

Typical Conservative Wanny!!!! 3rd and 10. Shotgun handoff please.:roflmao:

Actually I got the feeling in 2003 that Wannstedt wanted Norv Turner to pass more, and Norv was so frustrated with Fiedler, the OL, and the WRs other than Chambers, that he was basically refusing.

Its not like under DW we've done nothing but run run run. He hired Chan Gailey as OC even though Gailey used 3 WR sets more than not, and in 2001 we passed the ball on those 3 WR sets a lot. In 2002 we went to the well with the running game a lot but heck with an 1800 yard runner, it was working! In 2003 Wanny openly wanted to pass more and committed to it but I personally believe Norv went in the tank a bit because he was frustrated with the personnel. Now we have the personnel, and what Trestman keeps trying to add are more and more WCO plays. More plays aren't necessarily better, sometimes they are just more. Better to execute fewer plays that your players know and execute really well, then call a bunch of plays that the players dont execute well.

Wanny always gets blamed for Turner's offense, but as far as I knew, with Turner being a former head coach, and also being Wannstedt's good friend, it was understood that Turner ran the show in that offense.

Trestman is out of touch if he thinks he's going to come in and suddenly change the Dolphins to a WCO.

Like I said about Turner earlier..Turner is a crappy OC. His system, however, is great. When he has the players, fantastic. When he doesnt, he cant adapt.

why would he accept the job as QB coach if he didn't want to be QB coach?

Disgustipate said:
Trestman is out of touch if he thinks he's going to come in and suddenly change the Dolphins to a WCO.

Like I said about Turner earlier..Turner is a crappy OC. His system, however, is great. When he has the players, fantastic. When he doesnt, he cant adapt.
So what is your opinion of your new OC?

Maybe turner should've used Feidler as a weapon and have him throw more instead of running RW :rolleyes: Turner did an outstanding job w/ what he had. The run should've opened up the pass but there wasn't one because Wanny insisted on keeping Fiedler as his qb and trying to buil;d the D w/ has beens like Seau and Knight.

Justasportsfan said:

Maybe turner should've used Feidler as a weapon and have him throw more instead of running RW :rolleyes: Turner did an outstanding job w/ what he had. The run should've opened up the pass but there wasn't one because Wanny insisted on keeping Fiedler as his qb and trying to buil;d the D w/ has beens like Seau and Knight.

There's some merit to your statement, that's why I was so mad last year when we didn't address the OL..I knew there was a disconnect. I think Wanny was trying to do a Ravens. Win the SB with D. While you do have to have a good D. You need a O that can atleast keep the D on the sideline for a breather...while I listen to Wanny say the D will be the best in team history, I hear I'm going to keep the O limited. Now this might be wise considering we have just about a brand new team on the O side, but I hope he open the O a little because of the skill people we have, given the chance I think they can be great playmakers.

Justasportsfan said:

He's a tool, a guy whose job is to run the previous offensive system. The difference is, we have better tools then we did when Turner was here to run his system, and odds are, this guy will do a better job adapting. In fact, your average Madden player would. You dont run on something like 70% of your first downs. You dont run half of your 3rd and longs. You dont completely abandon the running plays which you thrived off of in 2002. The Ravens didnt do this.

Dude I think he's only 27 years old or something. He's not a has-been. He played for us as well as he did in New Orleans, he's just in a different defense with different players so he's not going to get as many picks as he use to.

I remember looking at a preview magazine the other day, i forget which it is(might be pro football weekly) and they ranked a bunch of players by position, and even had a top 25 list with best players in the league. No Dolphin made the top 25 list. Fiedler was ranked 20 or higher with Feeley being ranked a seasoned veteran. Ricky was around 7th, Konrad 7-9, McMichael 8-10th, Chambers was 16 or 17, Boston right behind him. O-Line I didn't even bother to check. JT was 2nd, OGun was 11-14. LBs I didnt check, Surtain was 4th or 5th, Madison 10-15th, FS we had no one, and they listed Sammy Knight as being past his prime, at 27. These arent exact figures obviously, but its a close estimate.

JackHammer said:
The frills that Trestman wants to add to the offense that Wanny does not like is PASSING.
If your team consisted of Ricky Williams at RB and Feeley/Fiedler at QB wouldn't you want to run too? You have to look at it this way as well. If they promoted Trestman, everyone would have been learning a new offense in May!!! :shakeno:

Back
Top Bottom