Tua, Tannehill, Rosen | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua, Tannehill, Rosen

Sirspud

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Reaction score
It's sad to me that we see a lot of young QB's come through here and we seem to revel in setting up some of the worst possible circumstances to try to develop a young QB. And we seem to be repeating the same things to a T that haven't worked for us previously. One of the league's worst offensive lines? Check. No commitment to the run game? Check. Like, I get it, sometimes young guys are gonna suck no matter what - you know Rosen with his lack of field awareness may not have worked out no matter what you did. But it would be nice to say that we had actually set the stage for a young QB to be successful, instead of throwing in a young QB and and hoping he'll be successful in spite of a myriad of circumstances working against him. The only QB that may have had a solid set of circumstances around him when he got the keys handed over to him was Chad Henne, who would have been the result if you tasked a lab with designing the least inspiring QB of the future prospect ever.

I really was vocally against the idea of drafting a QB from Alabama to try and helm the disarray that was the Dolphins, and I am still on the train that it was a terrible mistake to force start him over Fitz last year in a move that may be the undoing of the Flores regime. But he's the QB now and it would be nice to say that we were getting a good look at what this guy could do on a level playing field in the NFL, and instead we're here watching pretty much every play this guy runs just be a prayer that he can get a pass off safely. It's hard to learn to thrive when you can barely survive. By the time of Tannehill's exit, we all knew it was time. It hadn't worked out. But his exit and then getting the starting job in Tennessee let us see if it was him or us that was the problem - and it came back with a resounding result that Miami was the problem, as after going on a great run in TN in 2019 he led the highest scoring offense in the league in 2021, all while delivering big plays at a rate as high as any QB in the league (this from a guy it took 4 years to hit a deep ball in Miami).

I don't care that the team traded Laremy Tunsil as much as 3 years after the trade they still haven't found his replacement.
I don't care that they didn't draft JK Dobbins or Najee Harris or Jonathan Taylor as much as they didn't draft anyone.
I don't care that it didn't work out with Chan Gailey or Jim Caldwell as much as it is that they can't find a competent offensive staff to even give us NFL level play designs after 3 years.

I'm tired of this organization trying to develop QB prospects in the worst circumstances imaginable, and I think that while the QB is as important as ever and rightfully value, the idea that you have to build your team from the ground up around a QB prospect is outdated. Most of the league's best QB's weren't drafted in the top 5, many of them were drafted highly but they were drafted in the middle of the first round when they either fell in the draft to a decent team, or a team traded up to get to them. It's possible to build a good team and then trade up to get the guy you think is the missing piece. You to pay dearly, but is trading two first round picks to bring a good QB prospect to a team that much different than having to spend multiple first round picks in a few years because the guy you picked failed? Or spending a first and a second on young QB's like we have in the last three years?

I don't feel like the league is going to get an answer on Tua until he gets his second chance with another team - however long that takes. And it sickens me to say that, once again.

sir spud you are correct, your suppose to protect your asset. I said this line was hot garbage before the season. most ppl on fin heaven posted on the need to draft a legit center, RT, and RB etc.... A lot of posters wanted Sewell in this draft. you know what they were correct. I love waddle, but if the qb is running for his life what good is having waddle etc.....

sir spud you are correct, your suppose to protect your asset. I said this line was hot garbage before the season. most ppl on fin heaven posted on the need to draft a legit center, RT, and RB etc.... A lot of posters wanted Sewell in this draft. you know what they were correct. I love waddle, but if the qb is running for his life what good is having waddle etc.....
I'm not gonna sit here and say I was banging the table for Sewell. Thing is it's not just one move that would make or break everything. It's about an organizational philosophy and the culmination of all the moves we've made the last few years to get us where we were.

Team just believed they HAD to start Tua after the bye last year, and when he basically was become the focal point for how a season stalled out last year, it basically made our QB of the future have to deal with a lot of negativity come week one.

Team thought they HAD to draft offensive lineman last year, not deviating from that when things in the draft fortuitously lined up for us to get potentially dynamic playmakers, and those picks still haven't added up to more than a bottom feeder line. Having one legit RB that could make things happen for the offense without it being dependent upon the QB, now that's a way to take pressure off your young QB and force honest play.

But again, it's not one move. It's the idea that the team just can't fathom that they should build the whole team for success, rather than draft a young QB and force start them even when there isn't much in place to assist a QB in success.

The only QB that may have had a solid set of circumstances around him when he got the keys handed over to him was Chad Henne, who would have been the result if you tasked a lab with designing the least inspiring QB of the future prospect ever.
So many fans hated "Check-down Chad", but I liked him. He usually had no problem moving that offense between the 20s; it was in the Red Zone that they struggled due to a lack of talent at the offensive skill positions. Henne had a cannon for an arm, and Marshall dropped more TDs than he caught! I enjoy watching Henne's highlight videos on youtube. No, he wasn't "elite", but I'd take that version of him over Tua (if you fix the o-line first). I haven't seen Henne play lately.

But again, it's not one move. It's the idea that the team just can't fathom that they should build the whole team for success, rather than draft a young QB and force start them even when there isn't much in place to assist a QB in success.
I believe that the best way to build a successful team is to have a good o-line, a strong running game, and a good defense. Once you have that, you can win with a game manager type QB, and you can dominate with an elite QB.

If you are going to rely on such a young OL core you NEED a quality vet center. Having a JAG tackle like Jesse Davis does literally nothing to help the young guys during a game. Linsley or Andrews would have at least helped making assignment calls. I find it hard to believe every guy we have is “bad”; there are times when they look genuinely confused which makes me wonder about communication issues.

So many fans hated "Check-down Chad", but I liked him. He usually had no problem moving that offense between the 20s; it was in the Red Zone that they struggled due to a lack of talent at the offensive skill positions. Henne had a cannon for an arm, and Marshall dropped more TDs than he caught! I enjoy watching Henne's highlight videos on youtube. No, he wasn't "elite", but I'd take that version of him over Tua (if you fix the o-line first). I haven't seen Henne play lately.
The problem is that people thought of Chad Henne as not limited in throws to his arm strength, but in fact he was very limited since he could basically only throw straight line throws. He had no idea how to throw a touch pass, and did not know how to get to throw the ball up and let a playmaker like Marshall go get it. And that's not to mention that his biggest problem was he simply wasn't a winner - he was a choke artist who never threw three TD's in a game for us because if he had two successful drives, he'd start throwing inexplicble picks. He was just a disaster.

He's with KC now and has made an effective backup in the league. Even sealed a playoff win for KC last year.

If you are going to rely on such a young OL core you NEED a quality vet center. Having a JAG tackle like Jesse Davis does literally nothing to help the young guys during a game. Linsley or Andrews would have at least helped making assignment calls. I find it hard to believe every guy we have is “bad”; there are times when they look genuinely confused which makes me wonder about communication issues.
I think this latest experiment shows us that you HAVE to build a young QB and a young o-line separately. You can't rely on neither unit having any experience in these things. You need one unit to help the other, which neither can do if neither knows what they are doing.

I think this latest experiment shows us that you HAVE to build a young QB and a young o-line separately. You can't rely on neither unit having any experience in these things. You need one unit to help the other, which neither can do if neither knows what they are doing.
I would go as fas as to add coaching into that as well. We have two first year OCs (felt like a terrible idea, but w/e) and a ton of inexperienced position coaches on offense. Our offense was legitimately terrible today, and a lot of that was on trash performances from almost every player. That being said, a 4th grader could have come up with a more creative game plan.

The problem is that people thought of Chad Henne as not limited in throws to his arm strength, but in fact he was very limited since he could basically only throw straight line throws. He had no idea how to throw a touch pass, and did not know how to get to throw the ball up and let a playmaker like Marshall go get it. And that's not to mention that his biggest problem was he simply wasn't a winner - he was a choke artist who never threw three TD's in a game for us because if he had two successful drives, he'd start throwing inexplicble picks. He was just a disaster.

He's with KC now and has made an effective backup in the league. Even sealed a playoff win for KC last year.
Okay. I'm ignorant of the Xs and Os of the game, so I don't pay attention to these little details that others can clearly see; I'm basically a casual fan. That said, I still think he looks good in the highlight videos! :chuckle:

If your draft philosophy is don't draft X player from X school then you are probably not a very good GM which would explain why you are on this board and not in an NFL front office.
I think a random internet poster could have thrown 3 darts against a board blindfolded and drafted better than Grier did in the 1st round of 2020.

Rosen is the best of the bunch. Damn shame what he’s gone through. I still hope he gets the chance to start for a team with talent around him that believes in him

Back
Top Bottom