Tua vs Trevor - The Truth: Analysis | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua vs Trevor - The Truth: Analysis

Forget 3rd & Long. It can be a fun thing to look at but I'm not sure it's important.

I look at 3rd & Makeable (9 yards or less).

THAT matters, to me.

Tua Tagovailoa is 4 of 5 (80.0%) on 3rd & Makeable this year. He was 29 of 51 (56.8%) last year. Hell he was 9 of 19 (47.3%) as a true freshman. That's 56.0% for his career.

I suppose I don't expect anybody recognizes how absurd those numbers are.

Maybe it'll help if I mention that Jalen Hurts in his career at Alabama was only 81 of 190 (42.6%), or that in 2015, the Alabama QBs were only 31 of 97 (31.9%) on 3rd & Makeable.

Trevor Lawrence by the way is 3 of 6 (50.0%) this year, and was 44 of 92 (47.8%) a year ago. That's very good. It's not ridiculous.

I thought he did. But I don’t know why they both can’t just be top shelf qb prospects.

Although I wasn’t in love with what I saw from Trevor in the opener. Seems like Clemson’s bound and determined to take advantage of his legs scheme/gameplan wise this year.

They both can be hoops - but I just don't understand the thinking that Trevor outplayed Tua in this game. Seriously, go back and watch the videos. Trevor is staring at one side of the field and throwing at Savion Smith every time. Until Justyn Ross finally slapped Savion to the ground and he faked an Achilles injury to get out of the game. Bama brought in true freshman Josh Jobe who hadn't played all year to take his spot - but it was too late by then. Trevor just continued to stare at him and keep throwing 50/50 balls to that freak Justyn Ross.

Come on hoops, Jake Fromm did the same thing. Throw at Savion Smith. Citadel did the same thing with their triple option - run at Savion Smith.

Where did Trevor even have to leave the pocket? Where did he face any pressure? He never even had to move his feet. Guys in Bama's secondary were just blowing coverages and letting receivers run by 'em on 3rd and long. Wide open.

Where did you see any busted coverages by Clemson? Where at any point - did you see a Bama WR running wide open?

Tua was throwing absolute dimes despite facing pressure and having to move off his spot. Where did you see Tua throw a ball 4 feet behind a receiver and the kid have to reach behind him to make an incredible catch?

I mean what game are we looking at?

Tua's good but I don't think he's generational which means a once in a generation guy not top 5 QB. Lawrence is clearly behind Tua right now, but he's also a year behind in his development.

I might be recalling it wrong but I thought I saw a lot of zone read with the inside hand off gaping holes to run thru.

Like rarely was anyone there to plug the interior.

Still if he’s a generational prospect I’d think I’d see more complex qb ask in year 2.

That's not really what happened. Etienne forced 9 missed tackles and only had 12 carries.

You have to keep in mind Clemson doesn't have to game plan much for those teams they're going to see every week in the ACC. They're just going to out talent everybody.

You're not going to see a lot of the things they're going to do until playoff time.

Tua's good but I don't think he's generational which means a once in a generation guy not top 5 QB. Lawrence is clearly behind Tua right now, but he's also a year behind in his development.

Even if you dont think he is. Hes better than anything we got and anything we could acquire. Easy decision to take him given the opportunity.

I disagree. Tua has had 3 different OC's already. He's only started 16 1/2 games.

He's one of the best I've seen in the last 30 years.

That's not really what happened. Etienne forced 9 missed tackles and only had 12 carries.

You have to keep in mind Clemson doesn't have to game plan much for those teams they're going to see every week in the ACC. They're just going to out talent everybody.

You're not going to see a lot of the things they're going to do until playoff time.
I find it comical that in Tua's defence we have to mention Clemson's superior talent. Sure, the ACC in inferior but Alabama leads the NCAA in players drafted nearly every year.

I get that we're talking week to week, but even then most weeks the Tide face a far, far inferior opponent.

Since you don't think Tua is a generational talent,tell me the last QB coming in,that had his accuracy and ball placement.

Even if you dont think he is. Hes better than anything we got and anything we could acquire. Easy decision to take him given the opportunity.

To me it depends. We still have a full season of NFL and nearly a full season of college to evaluate EVERYBODY. That includes players in the draft, vs players on our roster, vs what's offered for the 1st overall pick if we obtain it.

At this point i'm not upset if we draft Tua #1 overall, i'm just not committed to it.

I find it comical that in Tua's defence we have to mention Clemson's superior talent. Sure, the ACC in inferior but Alabama leads the NCAA in players drafted nearly every year.

I get that we're talking week to week, but even then most weeks the Tide face a far, far inferior opponent.

I wasn't mentioning that in Tua's defense. I was mentioning it because Clemson spent most of their time last year preparing for Alabama. They did things against Alabama that they didn't do all year against everybody else.

Now it is true that Alabama faces some inferior opponents, but they also face a lot more teams that are on par with 'em than Clemson does in the ACC.

I think I saw 5 of those missed tackles on one long td run. But I attributed most of that to just poor tackling.

Especially at the second level. You just can’t allow that.

I’m just surprised there’s not more pro concepts I guess regardless of opponent. There’s doing enough to win and then there’s preparing a kid for the next level.

I’m sure that kid Ross will be a top 10 pick in another year. Just like Jeudy this coming year

I think I saw 5 of those missed tackles on one long td run. But I attributed most of that to just poor tackling.

I’m just surprised there’s not more pro concepts I guess regardless of opponent. There’s doing enough to win and then there’s preparing a kid for the next level.

I’m sure that kid Ross will be a top 10 pick in another year. Just like Jeudy this coming year

Tee higgins will go in the first as well.

Tee higgins will go in the first as well.

Yeah and so will Ruggs and the other wr with bama that has a Albert Wilson like skill set but isn’t eligible yet.

The only thing on offense skill wise i don’t see talent with on bama for the next level is tight end. Looked like jags to me

Yeah but it's still forcing missed tackles. Etienne is special. If you let me pick one guy to take off Clemson's roster to put on Bama's - he's the kid I pick first. Followed by Ross and Higgins.

It's not necessarily a college coach's job to prepare a guy for the next level. That's the NFL's job once they get there. Dabo's job is to win football games for Clemson. Deshaun Watson did ok in that system. It didn't hurt him.

Since you don't think Tua is a generational talent,tell me the last QB coming in,that had his accuracy and ball placement.
There are just too many variables in a team sport to answer this question properly. Who is the last QB that stepped into a starting role for a team that's been a championship favourite for the past 10 years?

Yes he's good, but he plays on a team that has about 10 NFL draft picks per year. He is literally surrounded by elite talent at all offensive positions.

Back
Top Bottom