Turner played OT in college, must be G in NFL | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Turner played OT in college, must be G in NFL

Perfect72

It's Only Happened ONCE!
Reaction score
Interesting read on Billy Turner and the Dolphins coaching staff:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...er-played-ot-in-college-must-be-g-in-nfl.html

One of the problems the Dolphins have had with player development the past few years is they don't always have a clear vision about their talent.
Just prior to this draft, the Dolphins weren't sure if they were going to use 2013 draft pick Dallas Thomas as a guard or a tackle. So a year after picking him, having him in training camp and, indeed, getting him started in this year's offseason program, last year's third-round pick didn't know his position. (He should be a guard, folks).

Thoughts...? :err:

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...n-college-must-be-g-in-nfl.html#storylink=cpy

thoughts are he said nothing in the entire article lol we all know he was taken as a guard and the rest is just really old "news"

thoughts are he said nothing in the entire article lol we all know he was taken as a guard and the rest is just really old "news"

It would seem strange to have Turner compete with James for the other starting OT from Albert. I would think the Dolphins are smart enough to stick Jame at the RT spot from day 1 and leaving him there. While Turner competes with everyone else for one of the other Guard spots.

Ideally, today we should absolutely know who the starting 3 are for both Tackle position and the one Center position. The only uncertainty should be at the Guard spots.

Pretty simple really...

Turner is a guard clearly. We have a new GM he had a vision. You dont take a tackle right after you took a tackle.

my *** turner's a guard only...they will cross train that kid i'm sure and they should to at least know what they have tackle options wise if james or albert were to go down...

the cross training dallas thomas being the reason for his issues talk is nonsense...he just sucked no matter where they tried him...billy turner is way more talented and gifted than dallas thomas was

misi at mike i mean it can't be much worse than ellerbe was there but it's a heavy read and dx spot and well i don't think that's what misis about

Really...this kid will eventually be Albert replacement....when that happens depends on Albert Reliability

He will play guard at first because you want to get your 5 best guys on the field, but he has Tackle written all over him

Really...this kid will eventually be Albert replacement....when that happens depends on Albert Reliability

He will play guard at first because you want to get your 5 best guys on the field, but he has Tackle written all over him

Man, that would be amazing. Not having to use yet another high pick on the line because we actually developed talent? Yes, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm scared of him at tackle, after watching those Senior Bowl practices. Turner was a disaster. He relied too much on athletic ability instead of sound technique. When suddenly he couldn't overwhelm the guy across from him with sheer talent, he was a mess. Turner turned sideways, lost his width, and started chasing, very similar to Dallas Thomas last preseason. I'd definitely protect him at guard.

IMO, Turner will be the opposite of James, early in their careers and probably for the duration. James is steady but unspectacular. Turner will be known for big blocks and big mistakes.

Man, that would be amazing. Not having to use yet another high pick on the line because we actually developed talent? Yes, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better line coach....the kid oozes talent and has a rather large chip on his shoulder....He's a very good move athlete, can pass block well....could end up as good as the first round tackles taken...

I don't love every pick Hickey made, but he went in with a plan to not only address immediate needs (the line) but also make moves for the future (Landry/Turner)

Turner is a guard clearly. We have a new GM he had a vision. You dont take a tackle right after you took a tackle.

Why not, he took a WR right after he took a WR, which just happens to be the deepest position on the team. :idk:

Agree with Hoops on this one.

My view is - Turner is likely being groomed at some stage to take over at tackle so start him out at Guard to help his development.

The reason why the cross training of Thomas - he didn't do well where they originally started him oiut so kept moving him around - it's the smart play at least.

Misi - I actually would like to see him at MIKE and get Wheeler back to SAM where he had his success at Oakland and I think Ellerbe is better suited to WILL. Heck - give it a few games while Tripp is getting up to speed and if it doesn't work out with Misi then give Tripp a shot

when i think of the houston texans offense and oline with benton there billy turner is tailor made to play right tackle in it...if benton can coach that up and work on his technique primarily that kids as gifted a foot athlete and move athlete as any tackle playing the right side in football...he just needs to trust his feet more...he athletically will overwhelm interior players with his foot speed and lateral abilities at guard but he probably will take some time to get used to that power and strength he will see...still in a zone if he is gonna play guard it's the ideal scheme

i don't though see left tackle nfl pro in his future...right tackle and guard...long term i see right tackle...either way we upgraded the foot athletes with these top 2 picks something serious...james movements are well lumbering frankly but he has good short area foot quickness in pass pro and short area lateral agility...the unit needed players that can overcome angles turner can...

as for tripp the one thing i am noticing more and more is he's a lb that likes to come forward and attack the los and the ball...it gets him in trouble sometimes too as he's overaggressive and will come too hot it may just be something that needs work or it may be a part of what he is as a player...alos there's some coverage concerns awareness that i see...much more comfortable when asked to go forward...if you are gonna play every down in our scheme as a starter you have to be able to do more than a soft zone drop...must carry coverage etc...doesnt look all that natural in that regard...

i would say james would project more left tackle down the road given how soft his game is in the run game and how he's a fall off blocker in that regard but you don't find that many average move athletes playing a high end nfl left tackle as far as an all around game and i have some reservations about how he will fare in the pros when he faces much better athletes on a weekly basis...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm scared of him at tackle, after watching those Senior Bowl practices. Turner was a disaster.

I couldn't find anyone who called his Senior Bowl practices a disaster. In fact, most of the reports I read said he did very well other than a Thursday practice where a few speed rushers blew by him, but he bounced back the next day. You are probably exaggerating by calling it a "disaster".

Back
Top Bottom