Turner played OT in college, must be G in NFL | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Turner played OT in college, must be G in NFL

Agree with Hoops on this one.

My view is - Turner is likely being groomed at some stage to take over at tackle so start him out at Guard to help his development.

The reason why the cross training of Thomas - he didn't do well where they originally started him oiut so kept moving him around - it's the smart play at least.

Misi - I actually would like to see him at MIKE and get Wheeler back to SAM where he had his success at Oakland and I think Ellerbe is better suited to WILL. Heck - give it a few games while Tripp is getting up to speed and if it doesn't work out with Misi then give Tripp a shot

Pat, for now I'm just hopoing that Turner and/ot another or two work out at OG, as well as James at RT. As of now, I would have to say that Cog and Jerry are better than what we have for this year, and not sure that James can be average, as Clabo was for the year, although all are better fits. I can see it more in 2015, unless Benton can pull a rabbit out ofhis hat.

Really...this kid will eventually be Albert replacement....when that happens depends on Albert Reliability

He will play guard at first because you want to get your 5 best guys on the field, but he has Tackle written all over him

Yup, exactly what I thought as well.

I am not an expert on OL play, not even close, but many opinions I've read from those who are believe that he has the potential to be a starting NFL tackle as he develops.

Interesting read on Billy Turner and the Dolphins coaching staff:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...er-played-ot-in-college-must-be-g-in-nfl.html

One of the problems the Dolphins have had with player development the past few years is they don't always have a clear vision about their talent.
Just prior to this draft, the Dolphins weren't sure if they were going to use 2013 draft pick Dallas Thomas as a guard or a tackle. So a year after picking him, having him in training camp and, indeed, getting him started in this year's offseason program, last year's third-round pick didn't know his position. (He should be a guard, folks).

Thoughts...? :err:

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...n-college-must-be-g-in-nfl.html#storylink=cpy

I do agree that this coaching staff has to do a better job coming up with a vision for each player than they did last year. This obviously isn't something the GM has much say in, this is an issue that the coaching staff has to fix.

The part I don't agree with is that Turner should be a guard. When you watch tape on him, he completely dominates DEs, not with his power but by being so quick with his slide that he beats them to the spot EASILY. He is very quick on his feet, I mean VERY quick. Quicker than any of the tackles drafted this year. He bullies players at that level who are not his equal, but what sets him apart is his quick feet. That to me does not equal guard. To me trying to force him into the guard position is wasting his God given talent. He could be an above average LT if he gets stronger and more experienced. Trying to confuse him by forcing him into something he's not is kinda the point of the article. I just disagree on what he will be best at.

If Hickey was drafting BPA then Turner has to stick as a Tackle. There is very little chance that Albert will make it through the whole season without injury, he only has done so once, and Fox is even more injury prone. Let Turner be what he can be great at, let him develope and maybe by the time we need him he will be ready. Moving him to guard would be a mistake, and I have yet to hear them say that is what they planned.

It's true we need guards but don't ruin this talent by making him play out of position.

when i think of the houston texans offense and oline with benton there billy turner is tailor made to play right tackle in it...if benton can coach that up and work on his technique primarily that kids as gifted a foot athlete and move athlete as any tackle playing the right side in football...he just needs to trust his feet more...he athletically will overwhelm interior players with his foot speed and lateral abilities at guard but he probably will take some time to get used to that power and strength he will see...still in a zone if he is gonna play guard it's the ideal scheme

i don't though see left tackle nfl pro in his future...right tackle and guard...long term i see right tackle...either way we upgraded the foot athletes with these top 2 picks something serious...james movements are well lumbering frankly but he has good short area foot quickness in pass pro and short area lateral agility...the unit needed players that can overcome angles turner can...

as for tripp the one thing i am noticing more and more is he's a lb that likes to come forward and attack the los and the ball...it gets him in trouble sometimes too as he's overaggressive and will come too hot it may just be something that needs work or it may be a part of what he is as a player...alos there's some coverage concerns awareness that i see...much more comfortable when asked to go forward...if you are gonna play every down in our scheme as a starter you have to be able to do more than a soft zone drop...must carry coverage etc...doesnt look all that natural in that regard...

i would say james would project more left tackle down the road given how soft his game is in the run game and how he's a fall off blocker in that regard but you don't find that many average move athletes playing a high end nfl left tackle as far as an all around game and i have some reservations about how he will fare in the pros when he faces much better athletes on a weekly basis...

There is no one we added or have, other than Albert and Pouncey, who has proven themselves vs NFL talent.

There is no one we added or have, other than Albert and Pouncey, who has proven themselves vs NFL talent.

James played against NFL caliber players every weak in the SEC...

Smith has been in the NFL for several years and was an excellent run blocker agaisnt NFL talent...

Finally rookies start every year in the NFL and have success....it is how teams can compete with cheaper, yet very talents players...

IMO, Turner was drafted to push James. James was a 4 year starter at RT, he clearly knows how to play. BUT, because our OL is a disaster...we need to make sure James doesn't slow it down, he needs to EARN that RT spot. So, drafting Turner worries James a little bit (it shouldn't), but it will push James to be an even better RT. Just because James was chosen before Turner, it doesn't mean Turner cant beat him for the spot. Now once James gets the RT spot, he has to keep it. I do believe also that Turner was chosen as insurance for Albert too, in case he gets injured. Turner was a GREAT pick, IMO.

when i think of the houston texans offense and oline with benton there billy turner is tailor made to play right tackle in it...if benton can coach that up and work on his technique primarily that kids as gifted a foot athlete and move athlete as any tackle playing the right side in football...he just needs to trust his feet more...he athletically will overwhelm interior players with his foot speed and lateral abilities at guard but he probably will take some time to get used to that power and strength he will see...still in a zone if he is gonna play guard it's the ideal scheme

Interesting point and I think we've posted on this before - my question is this - all well and good zone blocking in the run game dealing with the power/strength of the inside on DL's - however - what about in pass pro.

I'd mentioned before that we must be able to match up against the interior of the Jets/Bills DL - the question that I'm not able to answer right now about Turner at Guard [and I want him at LG] is can he anchor enough against big strong DT's. At Tackle he can dominate because of the movement talent he has, however - can he translate his own strength to an interior OL.

I'm hopeful, but that's really the only question I have at the moment until I see him on tape at Guard.

I couldn't find anyone who called his Senior Bowl practices a disaster. In fact, most of the reports I read said he did very well other than a Thursday practice where a few speed rushers blew by him, but he bounced back the next day. You are probably exaggerating by calling it a "disaster".

You are probably right, the other poster probably did stretch how bad his performance was, however there was no doubt that the difference between the level of talent he was used to playing vs the level at the senior bowl had some effect on him. He is definitely a project ESPECIALLY if they are going to ask him to play a totally different position. His quickness reminded me of D'Brickashaw Ferguson when he was at VA. But he has a ways to go to get down all the technique. He got away with just being a better athelete in college he will have a lot to learn to be a starter in the NFL.

He has good strength....I think he did 27 reps at the combine (only 25 counted)...though I think he needs to work on his anchor....fortunately he's going to be working against Odrick and Starks in practice which should be a good test.

Gabe Jackson would of been ideal but Tuner will be fine if they plant him next to James..

Interesting point and I think we've posted on this before - my question is this - all well and good zone blocking in the run game dealing with the power/strength of the inside on DL's - however - what about in pass pro.

I'd mentioned before that we must be able to match up against the interior of the Jets/Bills DL - the question that I'm not able to answer right now about Turner at Guard [and I want him at LG] is can he anchor enough against big strong DT's. At Tackle he can dominate because of the movement talent he has, however - can he translate his own strength to an interior OL.

I'm hopeful, but that's really the only question I have at the moment until I see him on tape at Guard.

I see no way that happens his rookie year. Not at the guard position. Those guys are masters at gaining and playing with leverage, and they are some of the best in the league at it. No way he comes in year one and switches to guard and plays well vs bull rushes, and one gap interior DLs. I just can't see how he is a starter in the interior this year. He would have to get MUCH stronger and learn to play with MUCH lower pad levels. I just can't see it happening in one year. But that is just my opinion. I also said Jonathan Martin wouldn't be able to start any games his rookie year and he did, but it wasn't pretty.

Pat, for now I'm just hopoing that Turner and/ot another or two work out at OG, as well as James at RT. As of now, I would have to say that Cog and Jerry are better than what we have for this year, and not sure that James can be average, as Clabo was for the year, although all are better fits. I can see it more in 2015, unless Benton can pull a rabbit out ofhis hat.

SB2 - agree to a point. Where this OL 'should' be better is in the run game. And if Lazor makes a commitment to the Run game and it is improved over last year, by default it will be better in the pass game due to defensive adjustments.

Right now, if I went with Albert/Turner/Pouncey/Smith/James - the movement level of this Group of 5 is a lot more on a par with each other than last year.

The issue - I believe - we had with last year's OL was such an imbalance of athletic ability which therefore drove an inability to work together in the Zone Scheme which is critical. I really do believe the group I listed above has a closer movement skill set therefore timing, cohesiveness etc. should be so much better... and I think you're the other one who thinks Daniel Thomas still has value [correct me if I'm wrong] and therefore he should be more successful behind a better move line.

that's exactly what should concern you about turner at guard...can he anchor against massive strength inside and guys that get up under his pad level...and i don't know the answer on that playing against his level of comp every week and playing against nfl starters is a totally different ball game...i will say this though it cant be any worse than watching sam brenner last year take the worst of contact even with lbs but it's a better athlete with more ideal size and he shows more physical strength than dallas thomas ever did last year with a much better body and better feet and lateral quickness...

he's got a lot working for him if bentons legit he will get the most out of him...ideally we get a week 1 line with albert, turner, pouncey, smith and james and have upgraded the pop on contact in the interior with shelley and the athlete next to pouncey in turner...of course betting on rookie picks as day 1 plug and play no issues guys is pretty dumb stuff...and when has ideal ever worked for us ha ha

i see miamis draft as pretty easy to figure out...plug and play was the primary need that's james for his pass pro prowess they had a top 50 at least guy on their board staring them hell they may have had a 1st round grade one in jarvis landry fall in their lap they couldn't pass it up when it did after 2 trades out and they jumped on the upside and benton banging the table for the highest upside player in our class in turner as soon as someone would take the bait to trade up with a 4th round pick on the table...

plug and play need
bpa board
future promise and potential

your first 2 days of the nfl draft

James played against NFL caliber players every weak in the SEC...

Smith has been in the NFL for several years and was an excellent run blocker agaisnt NFL talent...

Finally rookies start every year in the NFL and have success....it is how teams can compete with cheaper, yet very talents players...

The SEC, for as good as it is, is not the NFL. Smiith was great in 25% of the teams snaps last year on the run but, in the year before was just a little above average with the same snaps, and has really struggled in pass protect both years.

Rookies do start every year on the OL, and most strugge for a year, and some, even top picks, do the same for years to come. NOT saying I don't like the picks, just that we need to see them on the field before deciding how good they actually are.

I honestly would rather see Turner at T and JuWuany Football at G.

Turner moves really well which will allow him to pull nicely at G but Im not sure how strong he'll be run blocking in the NFL. JuWuany is much more stout and may have problems with speed rush. Turner can get stronger while already nimble and JuWuany can work on footwork while he contributes with his strength. I might be crazy but i believe this way will make for an easier transition.

Back
Top Bottom