Turner played OT in college, must be G in NFL | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Turner played OT in college, must be G in NFL

SB2 - agree to a point. Where this OL 'should' be better is in the run game. And if Lazor makes a commitment to the Run game and it is improved over last year, by default it will be better in the pass game due to defensive adjustments.

Right now, if I went with Albert/Turner/Pouncey/Smith/James - the movement level of this Group of 5 is a lot more on a par with each other than last year.

The issue - I believe - we had with last year's OL was such an imbalance of athletic ability which therefore drove an inability to work together in the Zone Scheme which is critical. I really do believe the group I listed above has a closer movement skill set therefore timing, cohesiveness etc. should be so much better... and I think you're the other one who thinks Daniel Thomas still has value [correct me if I'm wrong] and therefore he should be more successful behind a better move line.

I have no idea who has value among Dallas, Brenner, Smith, Turner, Fox, or James until I see them play. I include Dallas because of the injury, and Philbin saying we messed up in not putting him at one position.

I completely agree on players fitting the scheme are better than thant individual talent on the OL but, not yet sure we have the right talent level to make it work We shall see..

You are probably right, the other poster probably did stretch how bad his performance was, however there was no doubt that the difference between the level of talent he was used to playing vs the level at the senior bowl had some effect on him. He is definitely a project ESPECIALLY if they are going to ask him to play a totally different position. His quickness reminded me of D'Brickashaw Ferguson when he was at VA. But he has a ways to go to get down all the technique. He got away with just being a better athelete in college he will have a lot to learn to be a starter in the NFL.

He struggled with speed rushers when lined up at tackle and even admitted he was a little taken back by the speed. When they moved him inside he did well. I think he could start inside, but will need some adjustment to the speed on the outside but who knows how long that adjustment time could be.

my *** turner's a guard only...they will cross train that kid i'm sure and they should to at least know what they have tackle options wise if james or albert were to go down...

the cross training dallas thomas being the reason for his issues talk is nonsense...he just sucked no matter where they tried him...billy turner is way more talented and gifted than dallas thomas was

misi at mike i mean it can't be much worse than ellerbe was there but it's a heavy read and dx spot and well i don't think that's what misis about

So true. People talk about his shoulder injury but his movement period was horrid. No ceiling. Horrible pick. The best he can hope for is a backup guard spot in the NFL -- a backup that will never push a good starter. In other words, the kind of player Ireland majored on. And started. Sad.

LD

I honestly would rather see Turner at T and JuWuany Football at G.

Turner moves really well which will allow him to pull nicely at G but Im not sure how strong he'll be run blocking in the NFL. JuWuany is much more stout and may have problems with speed rush. Turner can get stronger while already nimble and JuWuany can work on footwork while he contributes with his strength. I might be crazy but i believe this way will make for an easier transition.

I actually like this better than trying to make Turner into an NFL OG. Just don't see guard when I watch Turner, and if that is where they stick him he won't be starting THIS year.

This thread has some really good stuff. Don't stop talking about the X's and O's! I really wish the NFL network did more teaching type stuff of the game for just us regular fans...

So true. People talk about his shoulder injury but his movement period was horrid. No ceiling. Horrible pick. The best he can hope for is a backup guard spot in the NFL -- a backup that will never push a good starter. In other words, the kind of player Ireland majored on. And started. Sad.

LD
One of the things that kills me about being a dolphin fan is watching us pour resources into players then right before they become good players we get rid of them only for them to catch on some where else. I really think Dallas Thomas will be one of those players. You speak of his movement, did you know he ran a 4.96 40, a better 3 cone than James, and held Clowney to no sacks and no pressures in their meeting?? Last year he was not the player he was when he was healthy. Maybe he ends up being a complete bust but he was a very good very versatile player in college. Let's give him at least one more year before we throw him under the bus. I expect him to be one of the biggest surprises this camp.

I actually like this better than trying to make Turner into an NFL OG. Just don't see guard when I watch Turner, and if that is where they stick him he won't be starting THIS year.

What I would like to see our OL coach do is quickly ID the starters and have them play just about every snap leading up to the season. Keith Sims was saying on Finsiders that they did that with Richmond Webb and him the year they were drafted and it helped a ton by the time the season started. As with everybody, they were a work in progress, but at least they were able to hold down the fort while they learned and got stronger.

One of the things that kills me about being a dolphin fan is watching us pour resources into players then right before they become good players we get rid of them only for them to catch on some where else. I really think Dallas Thomas will be one of those players. You speak of his movement, did you know he ran a 4.96 40, a better 3 cone than James, and held Clowney to no sacks and no pressures in their meeting?? Last year he was not the player he was when he was healthy. Maybe he ends up being a complete bust but he was a very good very versatile player in college. Let's give him at least one more year before we throw him under the bus. I expect him to be one of the biggest surprises this camp.

Where did you see that Dallas Thomas ran a 4.96 40 yard dash and had a better 3 cone than J'Wuan James? He did not participate in the combine last year and did not run at Tennessee's pro. I'm curious where you've seen any measurables on the guy.

If he ends up being more than a backup, I'll be surprised. Pleasantly, but surprised. I was furious w. the level of play he exhibited -- course, I didn't have far to go -- Ireland set me off big time, starting off the off-season by throwing money at Hartline (as if that was going to somehow make him a great WR) and it just kept going in the draft. Man, oh man. 11 picks and zero three down players? A top 3 pick that is gonna be a 3 year developer until he can be a 3 down player? Putting Jonathan Martin at LT and pretending it's great -- plus crap, crap and more crap at depth? Are you kidding me?

I may have been very prejudiced against Thomas because of all this. Hope he steps up and becomes a decent backup.

LD

I'm scared of him at tackle, after watching those Senior Bowl practices. Turner was a disaster. He relied too much on athletic ability instead of sound technique. When suddenly he couldn't overwhelm the guy across from him with sheer talent, he was a mess. Turner turned sideways, lost his width, and started chasing, very similar to Dallas Thomas last preseason. I'd definitely protect him at guard.

IMO, Turner will be the opposite of James, early in their careers and probably for the duration. James is steady but unspectacular. Turner will be known for big blocks and big mistakes.

Nonetheless he has the feet and athleticism for OT, easily. But he's inconsistent, a small school player and a gamble. On top of it we traded away a 4th to get him- the question imo is, if we wanted a Guard who was the better Turner fit, Billy or Trai? I would have taken Trai and kept the extra 4th rd pick as well.

my *** turner's a guard only...they will cross train that kid i'm sure and they should to at least know what they have tackle options wise if james or albert were to go down...

the cross training dallas thomas being the reason for his issues talk is nonsense...he just sucked no matter where they tried him...billy turner is way more talented and gifted than dallas thomas was

misi at mike i mean it can't be much worse than ellerbe was there but it's a heavy read and dx spot and well i don't think that's what misis about

PeoplE have made every excuse in world for last year's draft picks. That rationale was beyond silly

PeoplE have made every excuse in world for last year's draft picks. That rationale was beyond silly

Not many on this site will agree with me, but I firmly believe that in 10 yrs from now, we will look back and say last years draft had more star players that helped the team more than this year's draft class. People get too caught up in the "whatdaya done for me lately" mentality. Some guys were hurt last year, and the entire team went through heck. I fully expect to see last year's class take a big step forward this year. Just wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom