Two Dolphins concerns linger; plus Dolphins notes | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Two Dolphins concerns linger; plus Dolphins notes

also eesti I probably should say that I agree with that analysis about it being a "safe" pick...Miami went the safe route...I have no doubts...and considering where we drafted the kid late round 2 safe and nfl ready isn't the worst thing in the world by any means...but it's also a safe pick if you are ok with the potential for you to end up with a 2 down player long term...again though late round 2 2 down most drafts is solid value especially if it's ready to play right now physically and this kids a man no doubt...but I DO THINK regardless of if he plays 3 downs or not Miami is gonna live with space play limitations here at mike for better or worse...

so we gonna have to offset schematically when that time comes...the range here for the nfl as an every down mike is lacking. so for my money "home run" carries a different definition...I don't see home runs that way

I've been saying DT was a problem since before the draft...which was not addressed. The stat about only 2 of 21 DTs the Dolphins have drafted in the 5th and 6th round have become eventual starters...and not with the Dolphins...should bring some people around here back to reality. Well, it probably won't cause they view everything through their super fan glasses and think Godchaux and Taylor are going to be studs in year one.

You're aware the fans don't decide who the FO chooses plays for the team right?

also eesti I probably should say that I agree with that analysis about it being a "safe" pick...Miami went the safe route...I have no doubts...and considering where we drafted the kid late round 2 safe and nfl ready isn't the worst thing in the world by any means...but it's also a safe pick if you are ok with the potential for you to end up with a 2 down player long term...again though late round 2 2 down most drafts is solid value especially if it's ready to play right now physically and this kids a man no doubt...but I DO THINK regardless of if he plays 3 downs or not Miami is gonna live with space play limitations here at mike for better or worse...

so we gonna have to offset schematically when that time comes...the range here for the nfl as an every down mike is lacking. so for my money "home run" carries a different definition...I don't see home runs that way

I get what you were saying. I just wanted to share that article (which also brought up some good points about Alonso). Most players have negative grades at a few areas in their game but if the guy has the right desire/work ethic it can be overcome. We all saw it with Zach Thomas and it happens every year when you see the studs tear it up after getting selected in the mid-rounds of the draft. Deion Jones, Christian Kirksey, Chris Borland, Telvin Smith, Jamie Collins, Bobby Wagner, Daryl Washington....the list goes on. Different types of players but all better than expected by most.

The part I like about the pick (or picks) this year is the desire/intelligence aspect. Those guys are more likely to succeed over maybe a more well-rounded player physically with questionable traits.

He certainly will benefit from playing next to a guy like Timmons. I feel they could be very similar players when all is said and done.

Reactions: BSQ
I don't think McMillian is that limited athletically at all. Sure he's know Willis, but is anyone?

He's more athletic and instinctive than Brandon Spikes, if we can get Brandon Spikes early career as our Mike this team will be improved tremendously IMO.

I get what you were saying. I just wanted to share that article (which also brought up some good points about Alonso). Most players have negative grades at a few areas in their game but if the guy has the right desire/work ethic it can be overcome. We all saw it with Zach Thomas and it happens every year when you see the studs tear it up after getting selected in the mid-rounds of the draft. Deion Jones, Christian Kirksey, Chris Borland, Telvin Smith, Jamie Collins, Bobby Wagner, Daryl Washington....the list goes on. Different types of players but all better than expected by most.

The part I like about the pick (or picks) this year is the desire/intelligence aspect. Those guys are more likely to succeed over maybe a more well-rounded player physically with questionable traits.

He certainly will benefit from playing next to a guy like Timmons. I feel they could be very similar players when all is said and done.

Yep.

But of that list you used as examples Borland was really the only player that had athletic limitations and his stats were padded by playing on a horrid defense and the ball funneled too him. He was an ankle biter as a tackler. His offset was his instincts were pretty much top shelf. I don't think McMillan possesses that level inside read and diag.

So I see the ceiling here or ability to offset as lower.

Last edited:
Looks like he was slightly picked on the play, having to adjust around the WR, and CB.

I think too many people look at his combine numbers and say he isn't athletic enough. There are 2 kinds of speed, workout speed and football speed. They don't always translate. Landry is the prime example of looking faster in pads. McMillan looks fast on tape

That's a terribly thrown ball...qb did the worst two things you can do there on a ISO design man cover play. He underthrew the ball and he threw it inside hip. That ball needs to be over the outside shoulder and more toward the back pylon.

Anyways that's not my concern. Although I'd sure throw them against him if I can get him isoed like that with a quality NFL qb

I think it's more the range is tackle to tackle box or just outside of it from inside the box in the run game and vs reverses and jet sweeps etc.

Lateral flow instead of turn and run inside the tackle box is fine and speaks to his feel for the position.

I thought McMillan 2016 tape was significantly faster and sharper than his 2015 tape. I see plentry of athletic upside with that kid.

I've said it before on here, but Barry Jackson is getting very moany lately. Maybe being factual and positive wasn't getting him enough clicks.

Back
Top Bottom