Two Dolphins concerns linger; plus Dolphins notes | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Two Dolphins concerns linger; plus Dolphins notes

I don't get the vote of confidence in Sam Young. This 6th round pick is on his 4th team in 7 years and has 14 starts. He had one start against an average pass rushing team last year and didn't suck. I guess when compared to Dallas Thomas, he looks like Tony Boselli but....

Let's see, we've got 3 possible backups at center.

Probably waiting for a DT on cut day.

Watch the combine highlights of Raekwon dropping into zone, it's impressive.

You're aware the fans don't decide who the FO chooses plays for the team right?

He is. I would've signed him already. He has knowledge of the Jets and provides veteran leadership. Is he too expensive?
You are aware the fans don't decide who the FO chooses who plays for the team right. :sneaky

Teams tend to have areas where they find talent and others where they traditionally have difficulty finding talent. For a long time we had trouble finding it at WR, but we seem to have fixed that. But, we've almost always had good luck finding veteran DT's to provide better than expected play. I'm not quite as concerned about that area as most are.

On the other hand, we have had a longstanding tradition of difficulty finding good durable OL. We've put sooooo many resources to bandaids over the years without investing much real capital. But when we did, generally it worked. We invested draft capital in first round choices Jake Long, who was dominant and on a Hall of Fame track at the beginning, but then Sporano playing him while injured proved devastating, and he lost a very promising career to a litany of injuries, which ended up not working out for us or him.

Again, we drafted a center the highest one has ever been drafted in NFL history, and we re-upped him as the highest paid center in the NFL, but injuries have also devastated the production we expected from Mike Pouncey. Had those two players proven durable, we would have a great OL throughout Tannehill's career. Then we also spent 1st rounders on Ju'Wuan James, and the jury is still out on him, but he's not bad ... just not really good enough for where he was drafted and still more "potential" than performance. And we struck gold--hopefully--on what looks to be the start of a brilliant career for Laremy Tunsil.

Given that grim history of our successes, I'm not even going to go into the long and bad history of our failures along the OL. Suffice it to say that OL remains a crucial element of our offense that continues to worry. We're unsure about BOTH guards (although I do have hope in our 5th round rookie Asiata), and we keep hearing progressively negative news about our center (Pouncey), and we still have a wildcard at RT. That's 4/5ths of our OL with very serious questions. That is not good.

Back
Top Bottom