Tyler Eifert slipping!? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tyler Eifert slipping!?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to draft Eifert in the 2nd round, but the chances of the happening are slim. I think sometimes people confuse the issues of talent vs value. Most would agree that Eifert is the better athlete and prospect. The debate is whether Eifert at 12 + a CB/OT at 42 is better than a CB/OT at 12 + Ertz at 42.

Way too many variables to answer that. We can begin to debate after the 2nd round is complete, however who knows until 2-3 years after that.

Regarding value:
At #12 you'll most likely get Xavier Rhodes/Desmond Trufant and the top OTs are gone at #42 but you'll also have Ertz. Taking Eifert at #12 would leave you with Jamar Taylor, Jordan Poyer, possibly Johnthan Banks, Darius Slay, and D.J. Hayden as possibilities at #42 along with a raw Terron Armstead at LT and possibly Menelik Watson at RT (will most likely be reached for in the 1st) available.

I agree with the 2-3 years assessment, but remember some players blossom earlier than later.

Regarding value:
At #12 you'll most likely get Xavier Rhodes/Desmond Trufant and the top OTs are gone at #42 but you'll also have Ertz. Taking Eifert at #12 would leave you with Jamar Taylor, Jordan Poyer, possibly Johnthan Banks, Darius Slay, and D.J. Hayden as possibilities at #42 along with a raw Terron Armstead at LT and possibly Menelik Watson at RT (will most likely be reached for in the 1st) available.

I agree with the 2-3 years assessment, but remember some players blossom earlier than later.

Both OTs might be gone at 12 but two elite OGs might not be.

I like Ertz, but Gavin Escobar I think will be just as good as Eifert. Match up nightmare and a red zone target. I like that kid. His poor combine has people souring on him...that is a mistake.

Positionally, certain positions have a draft range that most fans don't consider. For instance, it's very rare for a G or C to go before the 20's, because the drop off from a good G/C to an average G/C isn't very big. There are simply a large supply of interior linemen who can do a decent job. OT on the other hand, requires a certain quickness that is hard to find in guys of that size, so those are rarer. Finding one quick enough to play LT with all the other things that all the other OL guys have too is very hard to find, thus the premium.

TE's suffer from the fact that many offenses substitute them out for another WR, so many aren't every down players. Most TE's coming out of college are glorified possession receivers or rocked up seam receivers. Finding someone who blocks effectively and adds the passing dimension like a Witten, Gonzalez or Vernon Davis is rare these days. Eifert is a receiver, but not a great blocker yet, so he'll probably go in the 20's somewhere. He's the best red zone threat in this draft--something we desperately lack--with 6'6, long arms, good vertical, and a wonderful ability to high point the ball, he catches over everyone. He is also probably the best catcher in traffic that this draft has as well.

If Eifert makes it into the 20's, I'd try to trade up from #42 to draft him. IMHO, he is not only a truly great player in a draft that ultimately will have a lot of busts, but also exactly what the Dolphins and Tannehill need.

I'd just take Kelce with our 2b or one of our 3rd round selections.. Great hands and a pretty good blocker as well..

I love the "arm measurement" garbage. Pass on a excellent player because his arms are shorter than his contemporaries by an inch.

Secondly, I am not the first to mention the Witten comparison.

Eifert is a subpar blocker to Ertz.

I would rather snag another position at 12 (or trade up) and get a TE in rounds 2-4. Ertz, Escobar, Kelce and McDonald are not that far behind Eifert.

Make no mistake though, I could see the Fins drafting Eifert on the first night of the draft. I just do not think it is of much value.

100% agree

I wanted Russell Wilson last year, but the inches not the game tape counted against him.

I like Damontre Moore. Kid is only 20 and has the work ethic to keep improving. Was a top 5 pick before combine. If we can trade down and snag him I would be delighted. Can you imagine how could he could be in 2-3 years????

I'd just take Kelce with our 2b or one of our 3rd round selections.. Great hands and a pretty good blocker as well..

I'm starting to come around to Kelce. Most polished TE in the draft. He's flying up draft boards unfortunately and will be taken in the 2nd hopefully falling to 2b.

I think Ertz is a Jason Witten-like TE. Solid in-line blocker and will be a reliable target for his QB.

Plus, I think Eifert is a tad soft.

That's an apt comparison, although I'd say that Ertz is a tad stronger and more athletic while Witten is a natural leader and more reliable catcher. The thing about Ertz's blocking though, while he undeniably has power, he doesn't finish his blocks, and his man often makes the tackle. I think it's a technique/repetition thing, but it is definitely worrisome.

We disagree about Eifert. I see him as the best TE in this draft and a star in this league. Watching his game he reminds me of Tony Gonzalez ... tools to become a solid blocker and already OK at it, but elite size/athleticism combo to pair with soft hands and great durability. Eifert is the best catcher of the ball in traffic in this draft at any position. He uses his size well to jostle DB's away from the ball at opportune moments, his combo of height/long arms/jumping ability gives him the length and lift to out-jump DB's, and he has an excellent sense of timing to high-point the ball. He'll be the quintessential red zone threat, reliable 3rd down converter, and everpresent seam threat. Eifert is my first choice at #12. I'll be happy if we get Lane Johnson or Cordarrelle Patterson too, but Eifert would be my pick. Great player that fills a need and is tailor made for what our team lacks.

Im starting to get the feeling we wont be picking up a TE at all. In my mock I have a TE at our 2a slot (Ertz prob) and think there is good value there. Looking at our depth chart though with Keller, Clay, and Egnew Im no so sure they will pick one up. I feel as if our FO is willing to give Egnew another chance this year and hopefully he got whatever worked out that made him a headcase last year.

Man I hope Im wrong, because if Eifert slipps and we can grab him or Ertz at 2a itd be nice.

How many 1st round picks have we wasted on a bust or mediocre player? Eiffert is a sure bet and star. Don't play around, grab him at 12. You don't "overdraft" for a future red zone threat star...

Back
Top Bottom