uh oh slimm.... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

uh oh slimm....

Yeah this dinner happened last year during the summer. I'm pretty sure it has happened since then as well. He's fairly well known in the Miami area and still has close ties to the AD.

Scholarships are scholarships. If they can get them for their brains they can get them for their athletic ability as well. Kids are given tax free allowances, stipends by the schools. I think it's ridiculous they can't have a meal paid for by whoever as a "friendly gesture."

The difference is Universities can't make money off of the academic scholarships like they can athletic scholarships.... A school can't sell 90,000 tickets for everyone to come watch the brain children do a research project....

Allowances, stipends, etc... great.. Do you know how many Mark Ingram jerseys were sold last year? Do you know how much of that money Mark Ingram saw? None..

Everyone involved in these Universities profit off these kids athletic abilities.... except the athletes themselves.

But the thing is, there's not enough money to pay these kids. There's just not. Football keeps the Athletic Department alive. Football pays for all of the other sports because no one else makes money. Duke basketball made a lousy $11M last year. Everyone loses money on basketball. Only Tennessee and UCONN women's basketball make any money. Everyone else operates in the red.

When you break it down financially, these jersey sales, ticket sales, etc., all of this goes into travel, hotel, and banquet expenses for ALL of the sports in the Athletic Department. These kids live on campus for free, no power bills, free cable and Internet, they're given toiletries for free, gear for free by the Universities, books for free, and a quality education to boot. Plus tax free allowances. It probably costs the Athletic Department $7000 or more a month just for all of that and that's not including the travel. Once everything is paid for, and I mean for the full roster to travel. plus coaches, plus. trainers, plus cheerleaders, plus equipment, etc., etc., etc., there's really nothing left.

But the thing is, there's not enough money to pay these kids. There's just not. Football keeps the Athletic Department alive. Football pays for all of the other sports because no one else makes money. Duke basketball made a lousy $11M last year. Everyone loses money on basketball. Only Tennessee and UCONN women's basketball make any money. Everyone else operates in the red.

When you break it down financially, these jersey sales, ticket sales, etc., all of this goes into travel, hotel, and banquet expenses for ALL of the sports in the Athletic Department. These kids live on campus for free, no power bills, free cable and Internet, they're given toiletries for free, gear for free by the Universities, books for free, and a quality education to boot. Plus tax free allowances. It probably costs the Athletic Department $7000 or more a month just for all of that and that's not including the travel. Once everything is paid for, and I mean for the full roster to travel. plus coaches, plus. trainers, plus cheerleaders, plus equipment, etc., etc., etc., there's really nothing left.

You basically just made my point... Everyone else profits off of the athletic ability of one Mark Ingram, for example... and/or his jersey sales... except Mark.

But it depends on the University as to how much is left... lets be honest here. I know when Miami won it's last national championship (2001) the athletic department was operating in the red...

The perks that come with these scholarships (and basic living neccessities that you pointed out) is nothing compared to what they're bringing in..

$7,000 a month X 12 = $84,000 a year

Alabama pays one assistant coach 10 times that amount a year....

The problem you run into with paying the players is making it fair.... Does Mark Ingram deserve to be paid more than Alfred McCullough? Of course he does... but how do you tell Alfred that?

Also, if you pay the football players, they're gonna want you to pay the track and field athetes too.. and the baseball players, etc...

But like you said, college football pays the bills.... so basically you tell the other sports to sit down and shut up and just enjoy the money their getting from the football program. You also have to factor in the money from tv contracts, bowl appearances, etc. etc...

Bottom line is it can be done... but probably shouldn't in all honesty. Instead, the main problem I have is with the NCAA.... Programs shouldn't have to be tarred and feathered the way they are for an athlete receiving "benefits" from a booster etc., when that same program is allowed to profit off of that kids athletic ability... It's not right...

The NCAA has never been of any help to an athletic program... the only reason they're even around is to hand out sanctions like Halloween candy and pluck scholarships.... the NCAA should be disband and college football should be run by the conference commissioners.

There's no money left to pay the players though. When everyone is operating in the red and football has to carry your Athletic Department into a minor positive number, where is the money coming from? SEC football isn't Microsoft lol. You guys might make a lot of money and you might be loyal, but there isn't much left over. Facilities have to be built on campus and I promise you it isn't each department for themselves. If the campus needs renovations at the library, money will come from the Athletic Department, too. There's no money left over to pay players. They're getting MORE than enough. And I guarantee that if players start getting paid, scholarships will be taken away and players will have to pay their own way. Then what? Kids will end up spending MORE to play than they are getting paid. If they do get paid, it won't be much at all. It won't be millions. There's no way to pull this off.

You don't have to be microsoft... You seem to be assuming that I'm talking about paying the players NFL salaries...

I'm talking about paying the kids SOMETHING.... let them get a piece of the pie that they're baking in the first place. Many of these kids come from absolutely nothing and other than free room and board, textbooks paid for, meals, and their education for free.. they don't even have the money to take a ladyfriend out on a date...

If you're not going to pay them anything, then it stays corrupt.... because those are the one's that are most likely to accept the money from outside sources.... I'd rather them take a $1,000 from a booster than out selling $1,000 worth of drugs....

See that's the problem. These kids ARE getting something. I was athletically gifted. Probably could have landed a baseball scholarship somewhere. But I blew my arm out as a Sophomore. So instead, I had to pay my way thru college. I ended up at USC. I'm almost 32 years-old and STILL paying off those loans. What these kids are GIVEN is extremely valuable and unless you take it away from them, no one will understand it. They are given an allowance each week of about $200. It's tax free. A free place to live. That saves them about $1000 a month on average when you factor in cable, Internet, water, electricity and rent. You figure $80,000 for a quality education. God forbid you're an out-of-state student.

Education has taken a backseat to athletics in this country—especially in the deep South.

By the way, if you're an incoming Freshman on athletic scholarship and let's say you blow out your knee in training camp...you're DONE for your college career. You can still redshirt and the University still honors your scholarship. So you're getting five years of quality education for FREE. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Not only that, but as a college athlete and a major DI University such as Alabama, you're going to get a shot at the NFL. Not a bad deal either. These kids are given A LOT more than we realize. But if it isn't STRAIGHT CASH HOMIE we just assume they're getting the short end of the stick.

The scholarship is only good for campus life JCANE... I coached scholarship athletes for years at football camps... You can't spend your entire college life on campus.

Education has taken a backseat to athletics.... but not "especially in the deep South"... just ask Reggie Bush and his parents. You're not stamping the south with that stereotype....

The deep south has always been about high school football and college football.. for 100 years it's been that way. Except now it's making more people richer than it ever has before off the backs of athletes that get a textbook and basic living necessities for free. Yet the NCAA wants to go all Rambo on institutions for not being in the dark alley at 2 o'clock in the morning to stop that kid from taking that cash from a booster.... or chiropractor...

See that's the problem. These kids ARE getting something. I was athletically gifted. Probably could have landed a baseball scholarship somewhere. But I blew my arm out as a Sophomore. So instead, I had to pay my way thru college. I ended up at USC. I'm almost 32 years-old and STILL paying off those loans. What these kids are GIVEN is extremely valuable and unless you take it away from them, no one will understand it. They are given an allowance each week of about $200. It's tax free. A free place to live. That saves them about $1000 a month on average when you factor in cable, Internet, water, electricity and rent. You figure $80,000 for a quality education. God forbid you're an out-of-state student.

Education has taken a backseat to athletics in this country—especially in the deep South.
That much is probably true, unfortunately. I think the only school left in the SEC that is truly academics first and athletics second is Vanderbilt.

Stereotypes become stereotypes because there's some truth a validity to them. It's no secret that the South is the least educated region in the country. The SEC schools and a few of the ACC schools are willing to bend the rules a little more than everyone else in the country when it comes to admissions. Those dudes up North provide quality education. That's one reason why most of the money is up North. City of Miami has the stereotype that English is a second language. Why is that? A lot of people in South Florida speak pretty good Spanish. Stereotypes don't just happen.

A lot of this stuff is very regional. Football DOMINATES the South. The North doesn't really care all that much about it. The North dominates baseball; Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, etc. Miami seems to be following in the footsteps of Notre Dame. Remember back in the 1980's when Notre Dame was beating the hell out of almost everyone. Coming into the 90's Notre Dame tightened up on their admission standards and stopped letting full blown retards get into the school just to play football. I see the same thing happening at Miami. There have been several kids who have had to go elsewhere because they can't cut it academically. And these same kids would have been admitted 15 years ago. In the South, if you can play, you're getting in no matter what. I don't care if your IQ is mustard—you'll get into Georgia. If the NCAA should crack down on anything it's that.

Back
Top Bottom