Under 20 World Cup thread (soccer) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Under 20 World Cup thread (soccer)

Wow never saw that over here what a goal :D

Scotland are playing **** so I will gloss over us for the moment :D

Tonights Brazil vs USA game has been picked up by ESPN, so it will be shown on ESPN and ESPNU, just a heads up for people without ESPNU.

Adu vs Pato.. Should be interesting to see which performs better. Of course Pato has a better supporting cast.

Altidore scores!!!

1-0 US

Man, if we win, it's the first time we'll have beaten Brazil in an important game, even if it's just U-20.

OMG!!

Adu is really special! Altidore gets the ball and puts it in the net after a great Adu run!

2-1 US!

US beats Brazil 2-1!!! Depending on other results Brazil may be eliminated!

Anyway, win or lose that was probably the single most exciting U-20 match I've seen (worth watching a replay). So, we finish first in the group and our 2nd round match will be against a real easy team. Thus, US is almost assured of getting to the QF. Not bad.

As far as individual players, Seitz is proving we'll have a good goalkeeping tradition for well over the next decade, even after Howard. And despite us scoring 2 goals, Seitz is probably MOTM with his very good goalkeeping.

Adu is definitely for real, but still disappears too often. No doubt though, the kid has unbelievable skills. It's almost certain his performances so far will get him a good contract once he leaves for Europe (which should be soon).

Sturgis is the only good defender - the others are crap. Rogers didn't play as well as advertised (first time I watched him), Altidore played better than advertised (not just the two goals, but his overall play), and Zizzo wasn't bad either.

Oh, and the best thing is we played Brazil as equals. That really is the first time on any level.

This was a very exciting game, best U-20 game ive seen throughout the tournament. I agree that Adu can disappear at times, but he definitely has tremendous skill. I dont want much MLS other than the Red Bulls, but has anyone seen him play much for Salt Lake? All that I have heard was how he doesnt do much and has been a bust, but he has shown in this tourney that he can really play. Other than Adu, throughout the tournament I have been impressed with Seitz, Altidore, Rogers, Zizzo, Szetela, and Sturgis. Bradley has not done much, I was much more impressed with his play during the gold cup. This team showed today that they can play with anyone and the remainder of the tournament should be pretty exciting.

This was a very exciting game, best U-20 game ive seen throughout the tournament. I agree that Adu can disappear at times, but he definitely has tremendous skill. I dont want much MLS other than the Red Bulls, but has anyone seen him play much for Salt Lake? All that I have heard was how he doesnt do much and has been a bust, but he has shown in this tourney that he can really play. Other than Adu, throughout the tournament I have been impressed with Seitz, Altidore, Rogers, Zizzo, Szetela, and Sturgis. Bradley has not done much, I was much more impressed with his play during the gold cup. This team showed today that they can play with anyone and the remainder of the tournament should be pretty exciting.

I've followed MLS the past few years (except this year), and I think it's clear the reason Adu doesn't dominate or even show what he showed today (except on very rare occasions) in MLS is because of the coaches. What he showed the last 2 games I think demonstrates that. Coaches in MLS really don't like that kind of individual creativity over some rigid team structure.

Sorry, that guy needs to play in Europe, and yes he has the skills to be a star in Europe. This is also the first time I've seen Adu show good vision (he used to be mostly an individual player, not seeing where others are). Those repeated combinations with other players, especially Altidore (this combo might work on the full side if Altidore pans out), shows that deficit is corrected.

What he needs now is constant top-notch competition. Oh, and RSL needs to let Seitz play 1st team. Seitz is potentially better than Howard (we'll have to wait and see on that, but he has amazing presence even slightly outside the box).

Oh, and let's remember Argentina (the real favorites) and Brazil (IF they qualify for the next round - Poland is now second in our group) are now on the other side of the bracket. Really, the US will not face a tougher opponent until the final, assuming we make it that far.

I've followed MLS the past few years (except this year), and I think it's clear the reason Adu doesn't dominate or even show what he showed today (except on very rare occasions) in MLS is because of the coaches. What he showed the last 2 games I think demonstrates that. Coaches in MLS really don't like that kind of individual creativity over some rigid team structure.

Sorry, that guy needs to play in Europe, and yes he has the skills to be a star in Europe. This is also the first time I've seen Adu show good vision (he used to be mostly an individual player, not seeing where others are). Those repeated combinations with other players, especially Altidore (this combo might work on the full side if Altidore pans out), shows that deficit is corrected.

What he needs now is constant top-notch competition. Oh, and RSL needs to let Seitz play 1st team. Seitz is potentially better than Howard (we'll have to wait and see on that, but he has amazing presence even slightly outside the box).

Oh, and let's remember Argentina (the real favorites) and Brazil (IF they qualify for the next round - Poland is now second in our group) are now on the other side of the bracket. Really, the US will not face a tougher opponent until the final, assuming we make it that far.

Mexico goes against Argentina (quarterfinals) and if we beat them then Spain (Semifinal)

USA goes against Portugal (quarterfinals) and if you beat them then Uruguay (Semifinal)

Of course this is all an assumption

Mexico goes against Argentina (quarterfinals) and if we beat them then Spain (Semifinal)

USA goes against Portugal (quarterfinals) and if you beat them then Uruguay (Semifinal)

Of course this is all an assumption

Spain/Uruguay is interchangeable up there. We don't know which side of the bracket they'll end up on, especially since both are likely to win their final game. Otherwise, you're right (the Argentina game will be very tough for you guys - that's your Brazil game).

Here's a link to the bracket and groups for reference:
http://fifa.com/u20worldcup/matches/kostage.html
http://fifa.com/u20worldcup/standings/index.html

However, it's not clear which side Spain and Uruguay will end up on.

Canada still has a chance after losing both games and not even scoring 1 goal:unsure:

Yeah, but you'll need to score LOTS of goals in your last game I think to have a chance. I haven't done the math though (too lazy).

Back
Top Bottom