Undrafted free agent updates | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Undrafted free agent updates

I was curious if you know anything about Chase Allen? I would think that a kid that size, with his speed, and what looked to be great instincts, would get drafted. How does he look to you, and do you think he has a chance? He sure looks like he does to me.

He has a chance, but he just looks like Jordan Tripp did to me. He has good size, but speed is simply average. It's difficult to really evaluate him because of level of competition, but players like him typically go undrafted or are late round flyers.

You don't really see him reading any OL keys and banging around at the POA to meet a pulling guard or FB in the hole and forcing the action. Not much taking on blocks, shedding, and making plays in the backfield or for little to no gain. More of a run and chase linebacker that is kept clean. Unfortunately for him those type LB's are a dime a dozen nowdays.

However, fortunately for him he'll get a chance to prove whether or not he can do those types of things, and do them against NFL competition.

You can read a little more detailed thoughts I had on him in my Senior Offensive Line thread in the draft forum where we talked about him briefly back in October. Basically he's the guy that took over for Morgan Moses at RT for UVA when he was a true freshman. He's one of the most experienced and battle tested offensive lineman in this draft.

Two of the biggest positives an offensive lineman can have in terms of how they grade out are experience and durability. You want em dependable and tough as a $3 steak. Smith is at the top of this entire class of offensive lineman in terms of all three of these critical aspects. He's started 40+ games for a school with a long lineage of churning out quality offensive lineman.

The part that puzzles me a little bit is the fact that if you even knew about the kid and watched him play, how you didn't use a draft pick on him in an unusually weak OL class. Unless........you just figured nobody else really knew that much about him and were that confident that you could get him as a priority UDFA. I don't see how that's possible considering he participated in the Tropical Bowl All Star Game, and performed well enough in it to receive a late invite to the Senior Bowl after a couple of other guys had to pull out due to injury.

Bottom line is, I watched offensive lineman much less experienced, much less battle tested, less talented, from weaker levels of football, with many more question marks and incomplete resumes fly off the board in the draft over 3 days. The more you know about the draft and the prospects in it, the less sense it'll ever make to you.

This kid's game tape is high quality stuff. And he has a bunch of it.

I always appreciate your sharing your thoughts!

Wow...Yearby still hasn't been picked up. That one is a head scratcher. Especially after seeing some of the later players chosen. At worst he is a solid 3rd down option and could star on special teams.

Aaron Wilson‏Verified account @AaronWilson_NFL 1h1 hour ago
More
Miami Dolphins guaranteed $10,000 of first-year salary and did a $10,000 signing bonus for undrafted rookie Chase Allen

Liked what I see with Chase Allen. A guy who runs a 4.6 in the 40, has good size and strength. Made a lot of tackles and is physical and aggressive.

• One evaluator today said to keep an eye on outside linebacker Praise Martin-Oguike, one of Miami’s pickups after the draft.

His agent, Gary Leibowitz, said 16 teams expressed interest, and his other offers included Chicago, the Rams and Redskins.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...y-jackson/article147945589.html#storylink=cpy

I just posted in another thread about Oguike. I don't live far from Temple University and caught a lot of games on the local channels. This kid plays like a man poccessed. He may have a chance to convert to OLB, he certainly has the size at 255lbs. I absolutely loved watching him play. Great coaches at Temple too. Oguike, pronounced Oh-Gwee-Key, is my favorite UDFA signing, but I'm partial because he played at a school in my area. I'm rooting for this kid to do well and make the team.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

• One evaluator today said to keep an eye on outside linebacker Praise Martin-Oguike, one of Miami’s pickups after the draft.

His agent, Gary Leibowitz, said 16 teams expressed interest, and his other offers included Chicago, the Rams and Redskins.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...y-jackson/article147945589.html#storylink=cpy

I just posted in another thread about Oguike. I don't live far from Temple University and caught a lot of games on the local channels. This kid plays like a man poccessed. He may have a chance to convert to OLB, he certainly has the size at 255lbs. I absolutely loved watching him play. Great coaches at Temple too. Oguike, pronounced Oh-Gwee-Key, is my favorite UDFA signing, but I'm partial because he played at a school in my area. I'm rooting for this kid to do well and make the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect first four picks to contribute, I really don't expect nothing from the rest of the picks, if the dts make the team and are part of our rotation that would be a big plus.

Watching video of Oguike reminds you of a young Dwight Freeney. Same size and has that relentless pass rush. Dips his shoulder to get around the blocker and just keeps coming and coming.

Has anyone heard anything about Ben Braden? I never saw where he signed with anyone and I saw a Michigan forum that was discussing about him possibly being disqualified from the draft due to medical issues/concerns. I wasn't sure if he was holding out for a team that didn't want to kick him to guard or for a better contract, but if he was fine, I would think he would try to get signed with a team asap to try and get into camp.

Word is Braden may be hurt (back injury). Some word he was considering retirement probably based on the information you have.

He's got a better chance of making their roster than he would to make ours. Cleveland might've been the worst team in the league last year but their roster is certainly superior to that of the Jets, especially after the draft.

The sad thing though is that they might be in position to snag Sam Darnold next year, here's hoping they get 2 wins against Buffalo and have the 4th or 5th pick and not 1st overall in 2018.

Back
Top Bottom