Undrafted free agent updates | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Undrafted free agent updates

Ok so I got caught up at a wedding last night. I enjoy this part of the draft process. Who out of the UD players has a chance to make are team and impact?

So who do you all think has a realistic shot to make the roster out of the bunch?

I know nothing about any of these guys except for Lewis (Canes fan) and Smith (watched a lot of Michigan).

From what I've read scouts think he route running is very raw, which seems to be a common view for a number of Baylor receivers in recent years. I think he could be returner and maybe a 5th or 6th receiver to start his career.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if he's signed anywhere yet, but on the field he was one of my top 5 DT talents in the draft.

The problems for Walker off the field are what scared teams away. His coaches at Oklahoma probably feel like he quit on the team after suffering a concussion last season. He chose to begin preparing for the draft instead of coming back to finish the season.

Furthermore, he was diagnosed with clinical depression. I think that was the big one for him.

He has a small child that he must provide for so I don't fault the kid for entering the draft early and choosing to prepare rather than go back and finish a few games left on Oklahoma's schedule. Hopefully for his sake a team will be willing to give him a chance. He's talented.

What can you tell us about Eric Smith? I noticed you were happy about the signing in a different thread.

As a UVA fan beware of Smith. He has ideal size and is very athletic. I didn't make it to many games this year but their first game against Richmond he got benched for effort and was throwing a fit on the sidelines. He can be a dominate force when motivated. I hope what I seen was wrong and he turns into a replacement for James. That Morgan Moses contract makes me think they need to pursue other options on the right side.

As a UVA fan beware of Smith. He has ideal size and is very athletic. I didn't make it to many games this year but their first game against Richmond he got benched for effort and was throwing a fit on the sidelines. He can be a dominate force when motivated. I hope what I seen was wrong and he turns into a replacement for James. That Morgan Moses contract makes me think they need to pursue other options on the right side.

:bobdole:

Why does the notion of paying a fair market price for a needed service seem to get under people's skin?

If this UDFA can somehow supplant James, that furthers my thinking about not trusting "In Gase We Trust".

What can you tell us about Eric Smith? I noticed you were happy about the signing in a different thread.

You can read a little more detailed thoughts I had on him in my Senior Offensive Line thread in the draft forum where we talked about him briefly back in October. Basically he's the guy that took over for Morgan Moses at RT for UVA when he was a true freshman. He's one of the most experienced and battle tested offensive lineman in this draft.

Two of the biggest positives an offensive lineman can have in terms of how they grade out are experience and durability. You want em dependable and tough as a $3 steak. Smith is at the top of this entire class of offensive lineman in terms of all three of these critical aspects. He's started 40+ games for a school with a long lineage of churning out quality offensive lineman.

The part that puzzles me a little bit is the fact that if you even knew about the kid and watched him play, how you didn't use a draft pick on him in an unusually weak OL class. Unless........you just figured nobody else really knew that much about him and were that confident that you could get him as a priority UDFA. I don't see how that's possible considering he participated in the Tropical Bowl All Star Game, and performed well enough in it to receive a late invite to the Senior Bowl after a couple of other guys had to pull out due to injury.

Bottom line is, I watched offensive lineman much less experienced, much less battle tested, less talented, from weaker levels of football, with many more question marks and incomplete resumes fly off the board in the draft over 3 days. The more you know about the draft and the prospects in it, the less sense it'll ever make to you.

This kid's game tape is high quality stuff. And he has a bunch of it.

You can read a little more detailed thoughts I had on him in my Senior Offensive Line thread in the draft forum where we talked about him briefly back in October. Basically he's the guy that took over for Morgan Moses at RT for UVA when he was a true freshman. He's one of the most experienced and battle tested offensive lineman in this draft.

Two of the biggest positives an offensive lineman can have in terms of how they grade out are experience and durability. You want em dependable and tough as a $3 steak. Smith is at the top of this entire class of offensive lineman in terms of all three of these critical aspects. He's started 40+ games for a school with a long lineage of churning out quality offensive lineman.

The part that puzzles me a little bit is the fact that if you even knew about the kid and watched him play, how you didn't use a draft pick on him in an unusually weak OL class. Unless........you just figured nobody else really knew that much about him and were that confident that you could get him as a priority UDFA. I don't see how that's possible considering he participated in the Tropical Bowl All Star Game, and performed well enough in it to receive a late invite to the Senior Bowl after a couple of other guys had to pull out due to injury.

Bottom line is, I watched offensive lineman much less experienced, much less battle tested, less talented, from weaker levels of football, with many more question marks and incomplete resumes fly off the board in the draft over 3 days. The more you know about the draft and the prospects in it, the less sense it'll ever make to you.

This kid's game tape is high quality stuff. And he has a bunch of it.

Thanks Slimm much appreciated. :brewskis:

That's the one you want. Unreal.

I was curious if you know anything about Chase Allen? I would think that a kid that size, with his speed, and what looked to be great instincts, would get drafted. How does he look to you, and do you think he has a chance? He sure looks like he does to me.

Back
Top Bottom