Universal Draft on the Sun Sentinel Week 6 - Combine News & Nolan's Defense | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Universal Draft on the Sun Sentinel Week 6 - Combine News & Nolan's Defense

rickys leaving next year anyways...if he doesn't want to play if ronnie is dealt then he can leave...he's not gonna help us long term anyways...

if ricky doesn't want to be part of the rotation we could roll with tate or whoever we draft hilliard and cobbs...

i think ricky would stick it out 1 more year even if ronnie was dealt...that's my feeling...dude needs money

Maybe he stays. In fact, he probably does. But I don't think you can brush off so easily the possibility of losing your top 2 running backs. Hilliard looked good in limited duty and Tate is an underrated guy assuming you can get him but that's still a very significant drop off from Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams, particularly since in this particular example we're not talking about adding much to the passing game.

For a mid to late second I still think I'd do it. But I'd make sure to take Ricky's temperature on it beforehand. The idea of a running team going into the season with Lex Hilliard, Ben Tate and Patrick Cobbs is frankly a frightening one.

Maybe he stays. In fact, he probably does. But I don't think you can brush off so easily the possibility of losing your top 2 running backs. Hilliard looked good in limited duty and Tate is an underrated guy assuming you can get him but that's still a very significant drop off from Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams, particularly since in this particular example we're not talking about adding much to the passing game.

For a mid to late second I still think I'd do it. But I'd make sure to take Ricky's temperature on it beforehand. The idea of a running team going into the season with Lex Hilliard, Ben Tate and Patrick Cobbs is frankly a frightening one.

well then you shouldn't use a 2nd round pick on a rb especially if you're afraid to give him the rock...

i'd rather give the ball to a rookie rb than a rookie qb or many other positions...it's just not as difficult a transition as other positions as long as you can trust the guy to not get your qb killed in pass pro...

if i'm taking a rb with high pick i expect him to contribute in short order...

I have a real nagging suspicion about him. If Miami were interested in Dustin Keller, were interested in Percy Harvin, are interested in Dorin Dickerson and Dexter McCluster, they want guys that present mismatch opportunities and change the ways that defenses face the team. C.J. Spiller does that too.

I said this before but I think it's a 50/50 chance Ronnie ends up traded.

I agree as ,much as I love Ronnie, I would not mind drafting Spiller then trading Ronnie to say the Chargers whom are left with Michael Bennett and Jacob Hester at the RB position. Could we possibly get their late first for Ronnie? The chargers are trying to win now, we have a trade history with them and if they gave up a 2nd for Chambers they might as well give a late first for Ronnie, right?

BTW great work on the sunsentinel CK!

I do not see Ireland and Sparano drafting a RB 1st overall considering Ricky and Ronnie had us near the top of the league in rushing all last year.

This is NOT because drafting Spiller wouldn't be a smart thing for our team's future (I think it could be a very smart idea that would pay dividends for our franchise for years to come), but the fact is that after a 7-9 finish many are saying this is a critical moment in the futures of Sparano and Ireland with the Dolphins. I think in their minds a successful season next year saves their jobs, while a successful season 2 or 3 years down the road gets the team a great chance with a different coaching staff and infrastructure. Thus, they plug the holes their team has now and they roll the dice that their record is better next year.

I know what I said isn't popular, but I think hearing from the key members of the coaching staff that this next year is a "put up or shut up" year means that BPA could go out the window come draft day and fits for this current team could rise to the top.

Does anyone think that we could be interested in Dickerson as a WR prospect? That size and speed could be great there.

So, let's say we sign Dansby and pick up Hughes in the 2nd.

In this scenario, things would look something like this:

3-4 WOLB: J. Hughes
3-4 WILB: Crowder/player to be drafted
3-4 SILB: Crowder/player to be drafted
3-4 SOLB: Dansby
2-4 WOLB: C. Wake
2-4 WILB: coverage LB to be drafted
2-4 SILB: Dansby
2-4 SOLB: J. Hughes

. . .

That's the idea, yeah? I love the idea of specialized players. There are few players like P. Willis, but by rotating, you can get a guy that's about as good in run support and another that's about as good in coverage.

for a 2nd round pick i'd trade ronnie in a heartbeat...the rb crop is deep in this draft...we can get a good one if we traded ronnie who may not spend half the season on ir every year...

my choice ben tate auburn...love him

unless spiller was in play

Or Ronnie may leave next year for nothing in return.

what's up with brandon grahams arms now being listed at 2 inches longer than they were at the senior bowl??? is the new listed measurement of 32 inches plus accurate??? cause those 30 inch arms were the only concerns i had at the nfl level...

This is why I tried to say to take the 30 inch arms thing with a grain of salt until they're confirmed at the Combine. It wouldn't be the first time I saw a guy's arms or hands mismeasured at the Senior Bowl and refuted at the Combine. Also, I mean when we're talking about an OLB position it's just not as important anyway. Clay Matthews' arms were only 32 inches. It's just not as big a deal for that spot as it is for let's say a left tackle or a defensive end.

all i can say is i hope we can land dansby friday...we need him bad and this ilb group in the draft is very thin imo...

if we do get dansby i think i'm leaning with brandon graham now at pick #12...i love everson griffen but i just don't think i can trust him like i know i can brandon graham and graham does seem to fit the mike nolan defensive breakdown better...

i also think graham will be on the board at pick #12...i just wish i could have seen him in lb drills at the combine...

I'm right there with you. I do wonder between Miami's having interviewed him and between his running a 4.72 at the Combine...maybe Derrick Morgan is back in the mix after all? He doesn't scream "linebacker!" at me like I would think Mike Nolan would want...but, you know, it's entirely possible I'm just wrong. It's been known to happen, frequently. LOL.

yeah the derrick morgan running a solid # and the fact that we interviewed him also makes me wonder if he's in play...

wasn't it you guys who confirmed that last year each and every one of our picks we met with in some capacity other than just watching them workout???

has brandon graham been contacted by our front office...everson griffen...anybody else in that pick #12 consideration grouping???

i saw we met with dez bryant...if he gets to #12 (i doubt it now also) i think he's a target...too much talent not to be

here's the other question...what's the comfort level on trading back say 5 slots from #12 and still having brandon graham on the board??? seems like a risky proposition to me...although we sure could use the additional pick/picks

it's very possible to me though that 3 years from now everson griffen may be the best of the lb crop bunch...he's so darn talented

I think you are missing someone...

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...log/2010/03/analyzing_the_draft_week_6_1.html

Simon takes on position by position Combine developments, along with Miami meetings.

Then I follow up with a look at how Nolan's defense worked in Denver, and what it might mean for Karlos Dansby as a potential free agent signee, and what jobs we might be able to fill via the draft.

Incidentally, and this isn't in the article, but I fully believe that Mike Nolan would be the driving force behind Miami's (rumored) pending contract offer to Antrel Rolle. I focused mostly on the use of linebackers in Nolan's scheme, but one thing is clear via Nolan's history. He wants a crafty veteran free safety. I don't think Miami currently has the cog he wants there and I'm sure he wishes, even though it would have made his life harder last year, that Miami had kept Renaldo Hill.

Hey CK, always enjoy reading your posts/articles, but there is one thing that jumped out at me.

In your running backs analysis, you left out one who I thought was one of the biggest intrigues in this year's draft. You mentioned runners impressing in Indy such as, CJ Spiller, Jahvid Best, LeGarrette Blount, Anthony Dixon, Jon Dwyer, Toby Gerhart, Montario Hardesty, Ryan Matthews, Dexter McCluster and Joe McKnight. Is there a reason why you left Ben Tate out of your analysis? I think he is going to be an absolute asset to any team. After his Combine performance, he is one of the biggest, strongest, and fastest RB in this year's draft class. And during the Senior Bowl week, he proved to be the best blocker of all the running backs, which would make him a player capable of playing all three downs.

Tate actually collectively outperformed all of the aforementioned prospects. So I am curious, why not mention Tate?

Talk to Simon.

I'm also high on Ben Tate. But there are a lot of reasons to like guys like C.J. Spiller, Ryan Matthews, Anhony Dixon, Jahvid Best and Toby Gerhart above him.

On my board I have Tate #6 behind those five, grouped in the 3rd round along with Monterrio Hardesty (who immediately follows Tate) and Jonathan Dwyer (who pulls up the rear of this grouping). Then I have guys like LeGarrette Blount and Joe McKnight in the 5th round.

earl thomas or eric berry works fine with me 2 real good ballhawking safeties both have great skills we would be real lucky to get 1 of those 2 guys

Talk to Simon.

I'm also high on Ben Tate. But there are a lot of reasons to like guys like C.J. Spiller, Ryan Matthews, Anhony Dixon, Jahvid Best and Toby Gerhart above him.

On my board I have Tate #6 behind those five, grouped in the 3rd round along with Monterrio Hardesty (who immediately follows Tate) and Jonathan Dwyer (who pulls up the rear of this grouping). Then I have guys like LeGarrette Blount and Joe McKnight in the 5th round.

i have tate 4th followed by anthony dixon mccluster hardesty gerhardt dwyer

i have spiller matthews and best all going before the late 2nd round thus they're not listed and tate is...

my only gripe with dixon is that he struggled for my eyes in 1 on 1 pass pro drills at the senior bowl...it looked like he tried to use his arms too much and did not have his feet under him all that well...

i love him as a downhill runner though...hardesty would be higher if he wasn't so darn injury prone...

dixon plays faster than he timed and you could see in combine drills there's a suddenness about him that some of the other backs lack...i'm not so sure that gerhardt plays as fast as he ran...

not bad boys b+..............only messing good read keep up the good work.

Back
Top Bottom