Universaldraft.com's Updated Mock Draft 4/4/09 - 2 Rounds | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Universaldraft.com's Updated Mock Draft 4/4/09 - 2 Rounds

I dream of Ayers dropping to 25 and Goodell running up with the card to read out his name. He would be great at SAM in our defense, can set the edge and get after the passer. That would be a sweet pick.

I dream of Ayers dropping to 25 and Goodell running up with the card to read out his name. He would be great at SAM in our defense, can set the edge and get after the passer. That would be a sweet pick.

Yeah you know I wasn't convinced that he could play in space but I'm definitely getting there. He's a tremendous football player and in the end you love good football players.

In the end I'm just not sure I see Ayers falling to #25. If he did, that would be one heck of a draft pick.

Yeah I don't think he falls either but he would be a nice fit I think on the Strongside. I think he has the ability to play in space but I'm no expert.

As for Kruger, and Richard's controversially picking him #44...

Here's the face of toughness:

1224812250-1.jpg

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=jn-kruger102308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

On a big recruiting weekend at Utah, a bunch of players and recruits gathered at a house to watch Roy Jones Jr. take on Felix Trinidad. Paul Kruger, his brother David (then a 17 year old high school senior), his sister Jessica, a teammate David Newman, and one or two other friends left the party before the fight to go across town and check out the Sundance Film Festival. A car came up to them and rolled down their windows, started screaming obscenities. They thought it would die down, but David Newman hurled a snowball at the car. That's when the car stopped, the latin gang members got out, and confronted them. Paul tried to break things up saying he didn't want any trouble, and it looked like they'd avoid it, but then one of the gang members spat in Newman's face. A fight broke out. Two more cars that had been following the other car pulled up, and upwards of 15 people were taking on Paul's 5 man group. His sister just kept trying to break everything up, and when she saw her 17 year old brother David with his cheek busted wide open and flipped outward, she dragged him out of it. Newman ended up stabbed with a screwdriver twice. David's cheek and nose were busted by a pair of brass knuckles. Somewhere during the fight, while taking on three guys at once, Paul heard someone yell "They've got knives!" and he felt something hot in his side. Everyone scrammed, and Paul felt under his shirt and could feel his intestines through a wide open cut in his abdomen. His friends got him into the back of an SUV and Kruger started having trouble breathing because one of his lungs was punctured and filling up with blood. His friend, a med student, went wide-eyed when he saw how bad the stab wound was. Doctors had him in surgery four hours, pulling his stomach and intestines out of his body to inspect for damage. He had 50 staples put in him.

Seven months later he was rampaging through offensive lines as the leader of a top defense that led a team to a perfect season, defeating Michigan, Oregon State, TCU (#11), Brigham Young (#16) and Alabama (#4) along the way. They held opponents to only 18.3 points a game. In college, that's a pretty damn good defense.

You're cool, I just want to know some info if you knew it. Everything I've seen or heard suggests a 4-3. The info you told me was interesting, because it was the first I'd heard of it. I knew Pendergast left to go to the Chiefs and he took his style with him.

Last year they were a 4-3, and I think IIRC that Calais Campbelll was involved in this decision to play that style.

It was more of a "do you know something I don't, and if so what exactly do you know" type, because I'd rather be accurate in terms of do they play a 3-4, or is it the hybrid etc. It could affect their MO for the draft, their personnel etc. and may take some guys off the board.

I was just trying to squeeze as much out of you as I could. Thats why I said are they a 4-3 that switches to 3-4, or are they a real 3-4 etc. I' have discussions where people do believe they played a 3-4 last year. Any extra info I can get I'll jump over. Just so I have it available. :up:

The Kruger thing I thought you missed. :up:

Sidbury is going to be more athletic regardless, thats not an issue. I do wonder about him being very high cut though. Getting his legs coiled and uncoiled, when he hasn't rehearsed his steps. You know the Combine drilling that gets to the point of counting steps etc.

Under game conditions can he do it, because of his body type? It could get in the way a bit more when it isn't rehearsed and known, where he knows his next step goes 'here'. He's a good player and he is climbing, as usually happens DE's start to rise as we get closer to the draft, MLB's fall, as do TE's. So he and Vekuine should rise about half a round or so, by the time it is all said and done.

Yeah I just remember reading it in the paper but you know things can always change and I think sometimes they add little wrinkles and confuse people even more. I even found an article last year where Pendergast said people always think they run a 3-4 when its not a true 3-4

Yeah you know I wasn't convinced that he could play in space but I'm definitely getting there. He's a tremendous football player and in the end you love good football players.

is playing in space strictly about athleticism?

does our SAM have to be great in coverage or just get to a spot like in a zone blitz?

I ask because I would bet that it wouldn't take much to exceed Roths athleticism

is playing in space strictly about athleticism?

does our SAM have to be great in coverage or just get to a spot like in a zone blitz?

I ask because I would bet that it wouldn't take much to exceed Roths athleticism

It's about more than just coverage or speed. It's about your instincts and how you approach blockers and ball carriers in space. I just wasn't necessarily seeing it in Ayers but he was very accomplished in that regard in high school so if the league like him at OLB, I'm aboard.

Back
Top Bottom