Universaldraft.com's Updated Mock Draft 4/4/09 - 2 Rounds | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Universaldraft.com's Updated Mock Draft 4/4/09 - 2 Rounds

Conuficus, why are you so convinced that Butler can`t tackle? From what I`ve seen, he`s not that bad. He`s not some MF hard hitter, but I think he`s solid, effective wrap-up takler. He even successfully tackles a few running backs from time to time.

Because from what I've seen he doesn't bring his hips or shoulders to his tackles. He's much more of an arm tackler who breaks down and grabs rather than to even attempt to put a shoulder into someone - even when he has an opportunity to. He just doesn't do it very well. He can cover, move his feet and change directions, but he is not a good tackler. He'll whiff more than he'll ever tackle with regularity.

He should be tackling runners more often than time to time.

Ok, well here's the deal why don't you go ahead and toss 250 names into a hat and then randomly pick one of the remaining players at every Dolphins pick and then three years from now we'll see if the Pete way of doing things was indeed more effective.
Can I do the picking?:D

I've been pimping Jarron Gilbert as a first round pick since the second day of Shrine practices when everyone thought he was a third or fourth rounder rising up into possibly being a day one pick.

But, I'm not projecting the guy out into space. No way, no how. And I think Paul Kruger works in space far better than Gilbert would.

I see Gilbert as a player that could become a Richard Seymour and do whatever you want him to do. But he's going to have to show a will for two-gapping before you can feel totally comfortable with him at 3-4 DE. And 3-4 OLB I just don't see any reason to do that.

That is exactly who I compare Gilbert as being. No way no how is he an OLB. He is a 3-4 DE all the way.

He did have a combined 200yard game against Ole Miss.

To be more specific, Meyer meant that he could have averaged 200 combined yards/game. High praise indeed.

So those videos show that Kruger is terrible in the linebacking drills? Really? Terrible? Cause the other guy said he's terrible - he's not terrible by any means.

Cause that's what I'm arguing against, not that he's the best. The videos show that he is in fact not terrible, which was the other guy's quote.

Ok if that was what you were arguing then i stand corrected. If he was saying terrible then yeah you are absolutely right. I was just saying the video to me shows that English APPEARS to be more athletic

So you don't run a 3-4 all the time? It is something they shift out of and into. Is the base going to be 4-3 or 3-4? Last time I checked they use a 4-3 base, but switch into a 3-4 look a great deal. Which is something Pendergast did when he was there.

The same as when teams switch to a nickel etc. or is it that the team is now a 3-4 base that aligns as a 4-3? Cause the Dolphins were a 4-3 teams under Saban, but we lined in looks similar to a 3-4, but we weren't a 3-4 defense.

I ask because whatever your base is then thats typically what you'll be called. From my understanding they will be 4-3 team that switches to a 3-4 a great deal of the time. They could be in a 3-4 look a great deal and it still not be a base defense, which is what most use to define a defense in terms of scheme.

They did the same thing last year switching up alignments a great deal, and they were a 4-3 team last year too.

First of all I am a dolphins fan so when you say "you" I never ment I was a cards fan I was simply forwarding what I read in the paper bro. Everyone thought they ran a 3-4 last year when it was actually an under with a bubble. However, there was an article about 2 weeks ago now that Wiz said they would be more of a 3-4 base now ....wasnt an arguement response just an info response bro

First of all I am a dolphins fan so when you say "you" I never ment I was a cards fan I was simply forwarding what I read in the paper bro. Everyone thought they ran a 3-4 last year when it was actually an under with a bubble. However, there was an article about 2 weeks ago now that Wiz said they would be more of a 3-4 base now ....wasnt an arguement response just an info response bro

You're cool, I just want to know some info if you knew it. Everything I've seen or heard suggests a 4-3. The info you told me was interesting, because it was the first I'd heard of it. I knew Pendergast left to go to the Chiefs and he took his style with him.

Last year they were a 4-3, and I think IIRC that Calais Campbelll was involved in this decision to play that style.

It was more of a "do you know something I don't, and if so what exactly do you know" type, because I'd rather be accurate in terms of do they play a 3-4, or is it the hybrid etc. It could affect their MO for the draft, their personnel etc. and may take some guys off the board.

I was just trying to squeeze as much out of you as I could. Thats why I said are they a 4-3 that switches to 3-4, or are they a real 3-4 etc. I' have discussions where people do believe they played a 3-4 last year. Any extra info I can get I'll jump over. Just so I have it available. :up:

The Kruger thing I thought you missed. :up:

Sidbury is going to be more athletic regardless, thats not an issue. I do wonder about him being very high cut though. Getting his legs coiled and uncoiled, when he hasn't rehearsed his steps. You know the Combine drilling that gets to the point of counting steps etc.

Under game conditions can he do it, because of his body type? It could get in the way a bit more when it isn't rehearsed and known, where he knows his next step goes 'here'. He's a good player and he is climbing, as usually happens DE's start to rise as we get closer to the draft, MLB's fall, as do TE's. So he and Vekuine should rise about half a round or so, by the time it is all said and done.

Conuficus why don´t you and Boomer like Micheal Johnson, I think he would be a D. Ware type of player and with us picking that low in the first, he would be great if we could get him to play to his potential.

He is a top 10 talent that we can get with the 25 pick, IMHO he would give us the biggest bang for the buck than any other player drafted that low.

Sometimes players get a bad rap and everyone jumps on the bandwagon that he is not worth his draft status, he had a pretty good year and its being overlooked.

Looking at how Joey Porter was used in 2007, everyone wanted to mark him as a bust but what a difference a year makes, you bring in different coaches and Presto, different player.

We have a staff that can do wonders with talented linebackers and I can see great things happening if Michael Johnson came to Miami.

Except that as I just explained, Paul Kruger is LESS of a projection than any other conversion prospect in the draft due to his experience. At this point, Clint Sintim isn't even a "conversion" prospect at all.

And yet the Matt Roths and Calvin Paces of the world continue to start, while the Vernon Gholstons and Quentin Moses, Charlie Andersons of the world...sit the bench.

Why? Because setting the edge, and getting off blocks to make a play on the runner, are the top priorities for the position on the strong side. Pass rush is a distant second.

Preferences are all fine and good but it does depend on whether we're talking about the strong or weak side.

Strong Side Candidates: Brian Orakpo, Robert Ayers, Connor Barwin, Paul Kruger, Clint Sintim, David Veikune, Henry Melton

Weak Side Candidates: Everette Brown, Aaron Maybin, Michael Johnson, Larry English, Lawrence Sidbury, Cody Brown

So far....you're the only other person besides myself that I've seen project Ayers as a potential strongside linebacker...

But I have a difficult time projecting Orakpo on the strongside....he doesn't use his hands well enough....which is why Pettigrew pretty much had his way with Orakpo...

If you can't get off the block of a tight end...even one that's an elite blocker like Pettigrew...I'm not sure you can play strongside linebacker in the NFL...

So far....you're the only other person besides myself that I've seen project Ayers as a potential strongside linebacker...

But I have a difficult time projecting Orakpo on the strongside....he doesn't use his hands well enough....which is why Pettigrew pretty much had his way with Orakpo...

If you can't get off the block of a tight end...even one that's an elite blocker like Pettigrew...I'm not sure you can play strongside linebacker in the NFL...

Add me to the list re: Ayers. SAM seems like a natural fit. Better that than undersized DE or situational pass rusher, and he seems to have the skill set for SAM.

Back
Top Bottom