Update: Dolphins on the Verge of acquiring Jones | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Update: Dolphins on the Verge of acquiring Jones

Predaphin

Predator in the Water
Reaction score
Dolphins | On Verge of Acquiring Jones - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 07:38:01 -0800

Updating ongoing reports, Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports the Miami Dolphins have been discussing trade talks for the past few days with the New Orleans Saints to acquire S Tebucky Jones. Two NFL sources said the Saints hope to complete a deal as early as Sunday, March 13 or Monday, March 14. One source said the asking price for Jones is a second-day draft pick (rounds 4 - 7).

I hope its either a 6 or a 7...I don't want Tebucky, but for a 6th or a 7th I wouldn't mind taking him....he's not worth a 4th, thats for sure.

He was probably going to be released. I see us trading a 7th for him.

I am glad Saban is making the final say.... Spielman probably wants to trade JT and surtain plus our 3rd pick for Jones and bottle of ketchup.

Jimmy James said:
Maybe we'll make it a conditional pick. That pushes the 6th or 7th rounder back to 2006. :)
I like that Idea.:cooldude:

I'm starting to get a little worried. So far Saban isn't really rebuilding he's just getting old players that other teams dont want. Hopefully I'll look like an idiot for ever questioning Saban's strategy, but he's given a 31 year old DE a huge contract (after he already signed Vonnie Holiday) and is now supposedly on the verge of trading a draft pick (hopefully only a 6th or 7th) for a 30 year old safety. This isnt rebuilding, this is replacing overrated, old players with more overrated, old players (Honestly Carter hasnt been a great player since St. Louis and Tebucky hasnt done **** for the Aints). We shouldnt be trading away any more draft picks and we shouldnt be giving over the hill players big front loaded contracts in Free Agency, last time I checked that is a formula for failure. Saban better be the genius everyone says he is when it comes to Xs and Os and he better make some excellent picks in the draft, because I havent been impressed so far by his free agent signings or any of the Dolphin's rumored aquisitions (Tebucky, Howard)

KillerJosh373 said:
I'm starting to get a little worried. So far Saban isn't really rebuilding he's just getting old players that other teams dont want. Hopefully I'll look like an idiot for ever questioning Saban's strategy, but he's given a 31 year old DE a huge contract (after he already signed Vonnie Holiday) and is now supposedly on the verge of trading a draft pick (hopefully only a 6th or 7th) for a 30 year old safety. This isnt rebuilding, this is replacing overrated, old players with more overrated, old players (Honestly Carter hasnt been a great player since St. Louis and Tebucky hasnt done **** for the Aints). We shouldnt be trading away any more draft picks and we shouldnt be giving over the hill players big front loaded contracts in Free Agency, last time I checked that is a formula for failure. Saban better be the genius everyone says he is when it comes to Xs and Os and he better make some excellent picks in the draft, because I havent been impressed so far by his free agent signings or any of the Dolphin's rumored aquisitions (Tebucky, Howard)
i agree with pretty much everything you said

KillerJosh373 said:
Are you sure teh contracts are front loaded? I kind doubt that. Not to many NFL contracts are.

The contracts are said to be backloaded contracts, so basically what he is doing is getting players he thinks will contribute for 2-3 years for average pay. The market dictates the price of free agents and IMO he is not over paying for the players he is targeting.

beejay05 said:
Are you sure teh contracts are front loaded? I kind doubt that. Not to many NFL contracts are.
Carter's is backloaded.... he is legit for 2 years, maybe 3 if he impresses.

Holliday's is backloaded and could restructure or get cut next year.

Tillman is a young project with a cheap contract, and I still cant believe we got Spragan for so little.

I appreciate the concern that others have expressed, but I think Saban wants to implement an effective system straight away, over years to come he will add young defensive players thru the draft and FA that can come in a learn the system and be installed into it, but can see it in effect. Look at the Pats, guys like Asante Samuel, Randall Gay and Earthwind Moreland have come in and excelled on that D.

If I'm not mistaken, we don't have a 6th. The trade will have to be for a 7th. The trade makes sense if Saban believes (and rightfully so) that Jones will get more money if released from his contract. Jones fits the mold of an ideal run-support safety which we are apparently looking for. As well, Jones provides a lot of speed from the safety position.

thepoolboy said:
If I'm not mistaken, we don't have a 6th. The trade will have to be for a 7th. The trade makes sense if Saban believes (and rightfully so) that Jones will get more money if released from his contract. Jones fits the mold of an ideal run-support safety which we are apparently looking for. As well, Jones provides a lot of speed from the safety position.
I agree, I dont see why people dont like Jones. He may be 30 and not spectacular, but he's 6'2 220 and brings CB speed to the safety position. He aint gna make big plays like Brock Marion and Sammy Knight, but he isnt gna get burned like them.

Looks to me like Saban is finding guys who fit his scheme until he can replace them through the draft or younger guys from FA. I don't plan to question his moves until something blows up...which won't be well into next season if at all.

Back
Top Bottom