Update: Dolphins on the Verge of acquiring Jones | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Update: Dolphins on the Verge of acquiring Jones

infiltrateib said:
Remember, this is FA.

EVERY move we make in FA is ostensibly going to be a pickup of an "old" player. No one is releasing the Dwight Freeneys, Stephen Jacksons, or Julius Peppers. The rookie contracts are usually for 4-7 years, and even then the good ones are resigned. We're a relatively young team.

What sets us apart from the other teams is how much we're SPENDING on these "older" players and WHO we're getting. I don't think we're overspending at all and we're grabbing solid, versatile players. We didn't sign the big-name, overpriced FAs like Jennings or Rolle, which is a positive more than a negative.

But yes, every time we sign a FA, it opens us up to the "getting older" argument... but just realize FA is inherently just that and it's all about who you get and for how much. Smart moves in the draft is how you get younger.

Well said.

Phinsfan1980 said:
I am glad Saban is making the final say.... Spielman probably wants to trade JT and surtain plus our 3rd pick for Jones and bottle of ketchup.
:D :roflmao:

I live in New Orleans and have been forced to watch Aints games over the past few years. We dont need Tebucky. If the Saints dont want a player he wont help our team out. When they allowed Knight to walk it was because he had lost a step. Jones has lost more than one

maybe saban is trying to make a playoff run this or next year.
he only has two years left before our D needs to be overhauled

Tureo said:
I live in New Orleans and have been forced to watch Aints games over the past few years. We dont need Tebucky. If the Saints dont want a player he wont help our team out. When they allowed Knight to walk it was because he had lost a step. Jones has lost more than one

Knight played damn well for a lost step safety. We would've kept him if not for his $ amount I'm sure. Obviously Saban thinks he can contribute, so why note have some faith?

The thing about Tebuckey Jones is that his contract is reasonable. It's at $1.75 million with a $400,000 bonus. That's really not bad for a starting safety. Only way you get better is a guy you drafted or you luck out on a low level free agent.

However, Jones has not been the hitter everyone expected him to be coming out of college. He is a good tackler and has much better speed and agility than Knight (though Knight was a very smart player and made plays).

it seems like saban is trying to sign solid players who are team guys and who will play their responsibilites. pretty soon we will be able to play 4-3,3-4, and bear at the tip of a hat and we will have smart guys who stay at home. spragen is one of the smartest players he ever coach said by shannahan. to the saints fan who said tebucky sucks, what part of 101 tackles didn't you like last year. i'd rather have a guy make 100 tackles than have 4 or 5 more turnovers. it's not about individual talent sometimes. saban is trying to make a team d. signing 31 year old players for 2 years is not going to break you. it will make the team very flexible in the future. if all you have is young players than it would look like our offensive line last year. you need to keep veterans on the team to show leadership and develope the younger talent. then slowly draft players to fit you system. each year you can then let some of the higher payed veterans go and replace them w/ younger cheaper guys that have a year or so of experience watching how it is done.

he only has two years left before our D needs to be overhauled

I don't know what you would call the moves over the last 2-3 weeks but I think most people would consider that to be "overhauling" the Defense NOW! If the signings of Carter, Holliday, Spragen, and now this guy are not a SERIOUS overhaul of a weak, soft, overrated defensive unit, I don't know what is. Some of you think this defense is nothing but Zach and Taylor, and in one way you are right... they are the only ones really worth 2 cents.

We have got to get actual NFL TALENT guys. The assortment of clowns wannabe brought in here would not make the bench for half the NFL teams. We are signing guys with proven talent who can PLAY the game. NO draft choice has ever suited up and hit anyone. Some of you think this is Draft Monopoly... whoever gets all the nice picks automatically wins. NOT.

Saban has to get actual PLAYERS to plug the holes left by the most criminally INEPT personnel "braintrust" ( :lol: what a joke in SO many ways, they had no brains and deserved no trust) in the entire NFL. You can't have a whole roster full of rookies, that will get you 0-16. Maybe that's what some of you really want! Throw the whole 2005 season...EVERY GAME...down the tubes so we can get Leinart. Riiiiiight.

We are gonna be 10-6 next year.

Gcity said:
I cant wait to play with Tebucky on madden

That just didn't come out right Bud:D Would sound better if you said I can't wait to use Tbuck in madden 2005, but that's just me:up:

finsnchips said:
Carter's is backloaded.... he is legit for 2 years, maybe 3 if he impresses.

8 million of his contract is guaranteed in the first 2 years plus he could make more. Thats what I call a FRONT LOADED contract for a 31 year old. And the guy wont be legit for even 2 more seasons, he hasnt had double digit sacks in a season since 2002, his best season was in 1999 (Not even for the Titans), by my count thats 6 years ago. I'm not saying hes a bad player, he's a good durable player and his size would be good for a 3-4 defense. But this is not a team that should be investing that kind of money in over the hill, run-stopping DE who hasnt been a great player in years . Saban has very little experience in free agency and it worries me that hed make a move like this, because Bill Belichek wouldnt!

Back
Top Bottom