Updated: Shaq to Suns for Marion/Banks pending physical | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Updated: Shaq to Suns for Marion/Banks pending physical

All Shawn Marion is right now for Miami is a contract. His $17 million expires one year before Shaq's #20 million. This means that we can deal him next year for an unhappy All-Star type, or keep him until he expires and get Dwyane Wade a running mate a year early.

That is, of course, unless they swing a Davis/Williams (expirings) deal for a player like Elton Brand, Jermaine O'Neal, or even Mike Miller to go along with a top 3 pick next summer.

The only thing I fear right now is Wade/Marion winning a few games and Miami's lottery spot dropping. Because we're damn sure not making the playoffs, so we need to finish as horrific as possible.

Hopefully, Dwyane Wade shuts it down after the All-Star game. Seriously.

ok, i'm watching it now on espn.com. ha! they want him for his defense!

nba fastbreak is coming on in a little bit. hopefully they'll talk about there

Ok, a couple of things. Ric Bucher is hardly the authority when it comes to basketball trades. Remember, technically, this guy should be homeless right now. He went on record as saying, " I will bet my house that Kobe Bryant never plays for the Lakers again." That was this past summer. I hope Bucher lives somewhere warm.

Secondarily. Marion can OPT OUT after this year is up. Granted, he would be leaving about 16+ million on the table, but he may not be the trading chip you think he is. However, with that he offers you up a ton of cap room immediately going into the 2008 offseason if you wanted to make a run at someone (Elton Brand for example).

Thirdly, if this goes through, be prepared to feel the wrath of Shaq. All of a sudden Nash will be Shaq's favorite teammate of all time and Miami won nothing without him. He has done this twice now, and I anticipate him doing it again, especially since I think he is probably kind of hurt by all this.

Fourthly (is that a word?) Phoenix will ruin their seaosn if they do this. Shaq doesn't fit in with anything they want to do. They will, essentially have to change their entire offense to accomodate him. Assuming of course, that he is healthy enough to play. At this point, Snaq is merely collecting his paycheck. I expect him to be shipped off somewhere again when his contract is close to expiring.

Interesting times in the NBA. I wonder if Dallas or San Antonio will feel the need to make a trade to keep up with the joneses.

On second thought.......

Bad deal for the Suns.
Great deal for the NBA.

There are so many teams in the hunt right now that the playoffs will be remarkable. I mean, you had all this hype about Boston, but now the Lakers & Suns are re-tooled as well. I don't like Shaq any more, but if he's motivated, he can make one last Playoff push.

I actually hope that one of these Eastern teams tool up before the deadline. Or at least, Gilbert Arenas meshes with his teammates better than ever when he gets back.
I'd love to see Kidd in Cleveland with LeBron.

There goes the Suns. Talk about incompatibility. It'll be hilarious watching Shaq huff and puff trying to keep up with their fast-paced style. He can be motivated for all he wants, but he's still hobbling and he still can't run.

wow, on fastbreak, they're talking about this like it's a done deal.

On second thought.......

Bad deal for the Suns.
Great deal for the NBA.

There are so many teams in the hunt right now that the playoffs will be remarkable. I mean, you had all this hype about Boston, but now the Lakers & Suns are re-tooled as well. I don't like Shaq any more, but if he's motivated, he can make one last Playoff push.

I actually hope that one of these Eastern teams tool up before the deadline. Or at least, Gilbert Arenas meshes with his teammates better than ever when he gets back.
I'd love to see Kidd in Cleveland with LeBron.

Kidd in Cleveland would be good for the NBA actually. Its funny because it seems like the year where the rich will get richer and just LOAD up their teams if need be. Reminds me of the 80's when rosters seemed to be stacked 12 deep. Before expansion and free agency killed dynasties and deep teams.

There will be a canging of the guard in the West probably starting next year. The Lakers will be front and center again, and followed by a Trailblazers team (with Greg Oden...scary) and a more experienced New Orleans Hornets team. I think those three teams will be the new elite going forward as the Suns, Mavericks and Spurs get older and slower.

The East is a hard nut to crack beyond this year. If Boston doesn't take the whole thing, they could see their window close after one year. LeBron is counting the days until his contract runs out (assuming no help is on the way) and the Pistons have to eventually take another step back. So who does that leave? Orlando? A revamped Miami?

I think Elton Brand is going to the East this offseason. He knows he can't win with the West and probably won't be able to get the money he wants unless he goes east bound. Miami does look like the best fit for him. Brand and Wade together would put them back into playoff contention. But that is contingent on Marion leaving if and when he is traded.

I just love this time of year!

There goes the Suns. Talk about incompatibility. It'll be hilarious watching Shaq huff and puff trying to keep up with their fast-paced style. He can be motivated for all he wants, but he's still hobbling and he still can't run.

True. But I will say this. A Shaq led Suns team meeting up with a Kobe/Bynum/Gasol/Odom Lakers team would be a GREAT series. I give the advantage to L.A. but Shaq's playoff experience and will to win (its still there sometimes) might push L.A. to the brink.

Ok, a couple of things. Ric Bucher is hardly the authority when it comes to basketball trades. Remember, technically, this guy should be homeless right now. He went on record as saying, " I will bet my house that Kobe Bryant never plays for the Lakers again." That was this past summer. I hope Bucher lives somewhere warm.
No need to worry; Bucher didn't break the story, his "sources" only added to it. I believe the Sun-Sentinel actually broke the story, but it's pretty much everywhere.

& yes, he needs to man up for his Kobe talk.

Secondarily. Marion can OPT OUT after this year is up. Granted, he would be leaving about 16+ million on the table, but he may not be the trading chip you think he is. However, with that he offers you up a ton of cap room immediately going into the 2008 offseason if you wanted to make a run at someone (Elton Brand for example).
It's almost a guarantee that he won't opt out because he'll never see that kind of money again, but you never know. Perhaps he and Riley has some sort of agreement where he'll opt out? He badly wants out of Phoenix, so maybe. However, I do know that Elton Brand is one of Pat Riley's favorite players, and he will be a target whether we have the cash or not.

Thirdly, if this goes through, be prepared to feel the wrath of Shaq. All of a sudden Nash will be Shaq's favorite teammate of all time and Miami won nothing without him. He has done this twice now, and I anticipate him doing it again, especially since I think he is probably kind of hurt by all this.

Of course.

The good thing is, Penny/Shaq never got a ring. Shaq was still the man when Kobe got his three. But with Wade, however, everyone knew who the man was and whose team this was.

So if Shaq tries that ****, then allow me to quote Jay-Z:

"Men lie. Women lie. Numbers don't." - 35/8/4 vs. 13/10. :up:

Fourthly (is that a word?) Phoenix will ruin their seaosn if they do this. Shaq doesn't fit in with anything they want to do. They will, essentially have to change their entire offense to accomodate him. Assuming of course, that he is healthy enough to play. At this point, Snaq is merely collecting his paycheck. I expect him to be shipped off somewhere again when his contract is close to expiring.
Agreed.

Interesting times in the NBA. I wonder if Dallas or San Antonio will feel the need to make a trade to keep up with the joneses.

Ehh, definitely not San Antonio. They'll stick with what works. I don't think they'll mess with that core until Duncan falls off significantly. The mid-level seems to be their only interest.

As for Dallas, they should of made a big move directly after losing in the NBA Finals. If not then, definitely after being embarrassed by Golden State. I heard some rumblings earlier in the year that they were interested in Shaq. And, in fact, aside from Miami, they were first runner up for Los Angeles when they first moved Shaq. Of course, that was many moons ago, but still. I don't really know who is out there aside from Jason Kidd. I don't know how Brand fits, and I'm not sure about J.O.'s health.

Back
Top Bottom