Urlacher thinks Zach Thomas deserves HOF recognition | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Urlacher thinks Zach Thomas deserves HOF recognition

I agree but can’t place the blame on wannstedt because Fiedler was trash. There were no better options at the time. It was Jimmys philosophy that we can win with a game manager anyway. In hindsight, that was a mistake
Fiedler was actually playing well in 2002 until the broken thumb... Ray Lucas, along with the choke job in NE in week 17, cost us a division title and a playoff appearance that year.

A lot of revisionist history in this thread re. that early ‘00s defense. If they were a great defense, they were the worst great defense I’ve ever seen.

I absolutely blame him. He insisted on Fiedler and refused to bring in any formidable competition.

We of course know he passed on Drew Brees.

That defense was damn near lights out those 3-4 years after Marino retired. That Defense beat the eventual super bowl champion ravens almost entirely on their own.

I do blame Jimmy for not getting a guy in place before Marino left, though he seemed to like Damon Huard. I would of liked to have seen what Jimmy would have done had he stayed a few more years.
Yes I wish Jimmy was all in. Just like I wish Saban was all in. Those were two of the best coaches in the world at the time. While we passed on Brees, he wasn’t a sure thing by no means and wasn’t the Drew Brees that we know until he went to the saints. Revisionist history imo

A lot of revisionist history in this thread re. that early ‘00s defense. If they were a great defense, they were the worst great defense I’ve ever seen.

Killer Bees were a much better defense...and obviously the "no names" were top 10 ever.

Classic case of lack of team success ultimately being his downfall.

At least with JT he had some all time numbers, played longer and was Defensive MVP. Zach essentially has tackle numbers.

But had the Fins been relevant during his career, he would be a shoe in candidate with the same exact stats.

Sucks, but I don't believe he ever gets in . . . . and Urlacher shouldn't either IMO.

Two of my favorite players from that era were Zach Thomas and Cory Schlesinger. Those two knew how to play the game in the old school way. I don't recall the exact number of facemasks that Schlesinger broke with his blocking for Barry Sanders but there were quite a few.

All-star players on an average defense tend to get overlooked. Zack Thomas didn't get the sexy stats like Jason taylor did (sacks).
Looking back, with players like Jason, Zack, Surtain, and Madison in their prime, I can't believe the defense wasn't awesome.
That defense was my joy to watch Miami Football. With Dan leaving, the defense those years was why I tuned in.
Also, if you look at individual stats, Zach was better than Lewis during the years they played I believe.

Last edited:
That defense was my joy to watch Miami Football. With Dan leaving, the defense those years was why I tuned in.
Also, if you look at individual stats, Zach was better than Lewis during the years they played I believe.

Nah Ray Lewis from 1996-2006 Ray had 28 sacks, 23int, and 43 pd in 147 games
Thomas had 18.5 sacks, 17int, and 33 pd in 163 games...although Thomas did have 4 tds to Lewis 1 and did that memorable front flip.

Back
Top Bottom