wannsteddt quote | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

wannsteddt quote

Status
Not open for further replies.
MajorCanz said:
Irregardless? IR regardless? Please now.

Despite your maladroit use of the english language, I'll entertain the content of your post.

God Bless you for being optimistic in the face of reality. When I was your age, I was optimistic too.

After the 93 season in which Dan ruptured his achilles, I was very much looking forward to the 94 season.

After we blew a 2 TD lead to SD, I was optimistic for 95. After that fiasco, I was optimistic for Jimmy.

After we fired Gary Stevens, I was optimistic for Kippy. Then I realized I wasn't being optimistic, I was being foolish. So, from the fourth game of the 1998 season (a loss to the NYJ) I haven't been optimistic. I have been skeptical.

And in addition to being skeptical, I've been proven right. My skeptimism is warranted. You may choose to label "warranted skeptism" as cynnical, pessimistic, or whatever. IR-regardless of what you call it, its right on target.

I told people who would listen last year the Fins wouldn't be in competition for the AFC Crown, and they weren't. Against playoff teams, 2-5. Against Tennessee, they were absolutely putrid. Houston? :roflmao: Are you kidding me?

But hey, don't let facts get in your way. Keep on waiting to hoist that trophy.
Irregardless of my nonstandard word, you have proven my point all too well.

I remember the day Delvin Williams set the longest standing Dolphins single season rushing record, so if you want to talk to me about staying strong and optimistic get back to me in about 15 years.

You may have all the reasons you need to be sceptical, have at it. More power to you. It's the safe way to go. The great thing about your viewpoint is, your fragile ego can survive through adversity, by distancing itself from the problem(the Dolphins). If the team happens to not make the SB, lucky you, gets to say "I knew it all along." Of course any buffalo, or jets, or pats fan can say the same thing so, you're in dubious company.

Congratulations on your powers of prognostication last year. It takes real courage to stand out on that limb and say we aren't going to win a SB. Gosh, what were the odds that you could be right?!?!?

Here's a fact for you, when we do win it all, and it will happen one day, you won't predict it. You're too busy covering your ass to avoid embarassment.

One day, maybe even this year, it's going to come together and the people that stood by this TEAM through thick and thin are going to be cheering the loudest and the fairweather fans are going to look like fools.

Me personally, I don't mind looking like a fool as long as it's in support of my team, but I'd hate to look like a fool after I abandoned my team. After I lobbed insult after insult at the team I supposedly love. Man, I would have a hard time cheering if we actually won after I did that. But maybe it's just me.

Have a nice day and enjoy the season. :lol:

MajorCanz said:
Irregardless? IR regardless? Please now.

Despite your maladroit use of the english language, I'll entertain the content of your post.

God Bless you for being optimistic in the face of reality. When I was your age, I was optimistic too.

After the 93 season in which Dan ruptured his achilles, I was very much looking forward to the 94 season.

After we blew a 2 TD lead to SD, I was optimistic for 95. After that fiasco, I was optimistic for Jimmy.

After we fired Gary Stevens, I was optimistic for Kippy. Then I realized I wasn't being optimistic, I was being foolish. So, from the fourth game of the 1998 season (a loss to the NYJ) I haven't been optimistic. I have been skeptical.

And in addition to being skeptical, I've been proven right. My skeptimism is warranted. You may choose to label "warranted skeptism" as cynnical, pessimistic, or whatever. IR-regardless of what you call it, its right on target.

I told people who would listen last year the Fins wouldn't be in competition for the AFC Crown, and they weren't. Against playoff teams, 2-5. Against Tennessee, they were absolutely putrid. Houston? :roflmao: Are you kidding me?

But hey, don't let facts get in your way. Keep on waiting to hoist that trophy.

:huh:

Sooooo why are YOU a Miami Dolphin fan ?? Seems like there isn't a single thing that YOU like about this team ... Why continue to support the franchise ?? :goof:

Why go on a Dolphin web site and spew YOUR negative opinions when YOU know that YOU most likely will be called and smacked on those opinions ???

Or are YOU a troll that loves disguising themself as a fan of a m-b's team just to stir up the pot ??

:shakeno:

Marino1983

inFINSible said:
Irregardless of my nonstandard word, you have proven my point all too well.

I remember the day Delvin Williams set the longest standing Dolphins single season rushing record, so if you want to talk to me about staying strong and optimistic get back to me in about 15 years.

You may have all the reasons you need to be sceptical, have at it. More power to you. It's the safe way to go. The great thing about your viewpoint is, your fragile ego can survive through adversity, by distancing itself from the problem(the Dolphins). If the team happens to not make the SB, lucky you, gets to say "I knew it all along." Of course any buffalo, or jets, or pats fan can say the same thing so, you're in dubious company.

Congratulations on your powers of prognostication last year. It takes real courage to stand out on that limb and say we aren't going to win a SB. Gosh, what were the odds that you could be right?!?!?

Here's a fact for you, when we do win it all, and it will happen one day, you won't predict it. You're too busy covering your ass to avoid embarassment.

One day, maybe even this year, it's going to come together and the people that stood by this TEAM through thick and thin are going to be cheering the loudest and the fairweather fans are going to look like fools.

Me personally, I don't mind looking like a fool as long as it's in support of my team, but I'd hate to look like a fool after I abandoned my team. After I lobbed insult after insult at the team I supposedly love. Man, I would have a hard time cheering if we actually won after I did that. But maybe it's just me.

Have a nice day and enjoy the season. :lol:

Go Fins! Win it all but if you don't THANK YOU for the effort.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Go Fins! Win it all but if you don't THANK YOU for the effort.
Exactly. It's not as if they aren't trying. That's all I expect.

MajorCanz said:
It's a good thing no one around here gets too worked up over errors in spelling, typing or word usage, -- or they might have pointed out your four errors in this paragraph.:)

In a former incarnation...in this lifetime.

P4E said:
It's a good thing no one around here gets too worked up over errors in spelling, typing or word usage, -- or they might have pointed out your four errors in this paragraph.:)

I was an English major in college, and taught for a while. I could, if I wished, probably find something to be critiqued in each post - including most of mine. It's not really worth the effort. Such are usually ploys to point out the surmised superiority of one who would write such a statement. Supporting a cynical, or, pardon me, skeptical, opinion is always easy. All one has to do is, in effect, say 'no' at every possible opportunity; take no risks, either of belief or statement; and wait until an error or unfortunate circumstance occurs, and then proclaim "There, I told you so." Such thinking reminds me of the old joke about the bumblebee. As proclaimed by aeronautical engineers, the bumblebee is incapable of flight because it ignores a number of the principles of flight as understood by those engineers. The problem is that nobody told the bumblebee. Just because something has not happened does not mean it can not happen. (had to edit it, made a typographical error! Oops, pardon me.)

And, for the record, I have been a Miami Dolphin fan since 1964 and 1965 - when the first movements were made to bring a professional football team to South Florida. I remember watching some really colorful, and sometimes, horrible players take the field. And I celebrated the fact that there was a football team on the field in the old Orange Bowl, and even enjoyed watching them lose when they were growing with people like George Wilson, Dick Wood, Joe Auer, and Wahoo McDaniel. I celebrated when the drafted Griese, and then Csonka, agonized over the loss of Jack Clancy, and was happier than two pigs in a peach orchard when they traded for Nick Buonoconti. I watched when Reese and Crowder were suspended, when Woodstrock played QB, and when a guy named Marino slid to the bottom of the first round. I have never been skeptical, or cynical, and always hoped they would win. I never have, nor ever will look for a reason to castigate the team, even though I will certainly criticize some of the players and some of the coaching. But as to being skeptical - never.

I agree with all you've stated above, Rev. If the substance of posts on a message board were entirely dependent on correct spelling, grammar, punctuation and usage, I'd be way up the creek without a dictionary. I only gave Canz a hard time because he was seizing upon the use of one word that isn't strictly an error. I don't like "irregardless" myself, but my dictionary says a writer may use it for emphasis, although it's considered non-standard.

More to the point, I'm with you on pessimism. Naysaying is often an easy way out. I used to work with a legislative body, and I recall legislators pointing out (privately) that a "no" vote was nearly always a safe vote, as you could always declare that whatever was being voted upon wasn't up to your expectations. Not quite what I'd call principle and courage -- more like immature self-indulgence. The better men or women would help build a better bill or state a strong case for why a bill should be rejected.

Naysaying in itself will never get anything done, other than giving the naysayer the opportunity to claim that things weren't up to their expectations. It seems to me that the most effective leaders in the course of history have exhibited optimism tempered by realism, with a willingness to hear the carefully-deliberating devil's advocate.

Hmmm... maybe that wasn't the best choice of phrasing under the circumstances. But I think you know what I mean.:)

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Really? I was sure I saw the Fins playing in the AFC last year. Somehow I must have confused them with another team that finished 10-6.

They didn't win the AFC crown, but to say they didn't compete is just a little disingenuous.

I could be the fan of any team in the league and predict that they won't win the SB each year and be correct most of the time. Why do you get satisfaction out of that?
You are confused, to be sure. Maybe I can shed some light on this topic so in the future you'll be more enlightened.

A full schedule is 16 games. After that is completed, the top 6 teams from each conference enter into a playoff scenario. They are seeded 1-6, and game sites are determined based on overall records. Whichever team comes out of these confererence "tournaments" are deemed the winner of the conference. So, unless you compete in what in the NFL is called the "playoffs" (and I don't blame you for not knowing what those are), you are not eligible to win the conference crown. So there.

Since you are in Buffalo, I'll give you a riddle to help you remember.....

Q: How are the ocean and a mailbox different from the NFL Playoffs?
A: In the ocean and a mailbox, repectively, you will find Dolphins and Bills.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
I feel sorry for you, that you take the failed attempts at winning the SB so hard that you can't enjoy the attempts and remain optimistic. 42 wins in 4 years hasn't been enough, but it should promote some optimism.
Failed attempts at the SB? :roflmao: Surely you jest. Is that what you think I am disappointed in? Technically correct, we have failed to make the SB. But...we arent even qualifying the last Wildcard spot. Forget SB, just get in the damn playoffs. And they haven't done that that last two seaons. And when they did three seasons ago, it lasted about as long as Roy Jones last fight.

Look, if they were making progress under this joker, I might give him some credit. And I do credit DW for one thing.....Hes finally figured out how to keep the Fins from getting blown out in the playoffs. Playoff losses no longer plague this team or its fans.

But don't let me rain on you Low Standards Parade. You take those 42 victories over four years and party like its 1999.

Where are you people getting off with this "so we didnt win the SB" routine? If I was a Philly fan bitching, you might have a point. Its not like this sorry arse coach has taken us to three straight championship games. We won a division his first year, a wild card the next, and two straight non playoff seasons. Guys, thats a long way from "We're just like the other 32 teams in the league". No, its different. Much different.

Marino1983 said:
:huh:

Sooooo why are YOU a Miami Dolphin fan ?? Seems like there isn't a single thing that YOU like about this team ... Why continue to support the franchise ?? :goof:

Why go on a Dolphin web site and spew YOUR negative opinions when YOU know that YOU most likely will be called and smacked on those opinions ???

Or are YOU a troll that loves disguising themself as a fan of a m-b's team just to stir up the pot ??

:shakeno:

Marino1983
I'm quite sure I have been a Fins fan long before you were born--so I don't think I need to justify it to you.

You people think that just because you "stay positive" that you are better fans. I disagree. I think the good fans are the ones who can honestly and objectively look at the team and say "guys, this is a mess". I don't get joy out of telling the truth about the Fins. But thats what it is...the truth. Contrast us with Philly or NE. As an organization, not even remotely close. And thats the standard, whether you guys want to believe it or not.

MajorCanz said:

Where are you people getting off with this "so we didnt win the SB" routine? If I was a Philly fan bitching, you might have a point. Its not like this sorry arse coach has taken us to three straight championship games. We won a division his first year, a wild card the next, and two straight non playoff seasons. Guys, thats a long way from "We're just like the other 32 teams in the league". No, its different. Much different.
Yep, a missed field goal and a sack was all that kept us out of the playoffs. Huge difference.

Like I said, enjoy the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom