Was Ryan Tannehill a one year wonder? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Was Ryan Tannehill a one year wonder?

Okay, Tannehill did not start only because Jerrod Johnson got hurt, Johnson was doing horrible when healthy. And funny enough, many thought preseason of that year Johnson could be a first round QB himself.

He and Johnson were both approached about playing WR, and Tannehill was more receptive to the idea.

So Tannehill wanted to play WR over QB? Or are you saying that Johnson was horrible but Tannehill still could not beat him out?

Which year are you talking about? I'm not sure I understand.

So Tannehill wanted to play WR over QB? Or are you saying that Johnson was horrible but Tannehill still could not beat him out?

Tannehill's sophomore year when Stephen McGee was the starter. Sherman approached both about going to WR (where they were thin) while the other would be backup. The thing people seem to forget though is Tannehill ended up being a pretty good WR.

I.m.o. i don't think Tannehill Was worth the pick in that spot. I think the dolphins saw a smart player who knows the system well that they are trying to implement. They like his athleticism, his arm and something that Henne lacked his fire and emotion for the game. Though your getting a Raw project and to expect him to be ready to start some games is asking allot That is why i think the dolphins will be forced to carry 3 qb's on the roster.
imagesqtbnANd9GcTC21cIbyWWFmTq1StEEhyoAW-1.jpg

Jerrod Johnson played some WR when McGee was still the QB, he just didn't do it as long as Tannehill because McGee got hurt. One thing to remember about the Johnson/Tannehill competition, Johnson going into the year where he was replaced by Tannehill was being talked about as a possible heisman candidate. The previous year I think he set the school passing yards record. I don't know how good Tannehill will be but I think it's unfair to say he wasn't any good because he couldn't beat out Jerrod Johnson.

Either way I'm just happy training camp has started and I can't wait for Hard Knocks to start. Hopefully Tannehill gets into camp soon so we can start to get a look at him.

These posts make me sick. Unless your clairvoyant no one knows. Let's give our FUTURE QB some time before we start wondering if he's going to be a bust. Holy crap!!!

Tannehill did not want to play WR over QB.

from his Miami Herald interview.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/27/v-fullstory/2770633/miami-dolphins-ryan-tannehill.html
He certainly is his own man. Tannehill comes to Miami with only 19 starts at Texas A&M. The lack of experience is due in part to his head coach’s decision years ago to move Tannehill from a quarterback competition he apparently lost to the wide receiver position he was athletic enough to play.

It was a decision Tannehill disagreed with at the time. It is a decision he told the Dolphins he still disagrees with, even when the same head coach he disagreed with in college is now Miami’s offensive coordinator, Mike Sherman.

“I wouldn’t say we were at odds,” Tannehill said. “I definitely wanted to be playing the quarterback position. When he first sat me down and told me that he was going to move me out to receiver and I wasn’t going to be the starter, I told him I thought he was making a mistake. I said I was the best quarterback he had on the roster.”

Tannehill is a competitor. Even while he served his team as a receiver, he longed for a return to quarterback. He sometimes stayed after practice to work with teammates and used that time to pitch rather than catch the football.

Johnson and Tannehill did compete for the starting QB job in 2009 but Ryan was told by Sherman that he had to decisively outplay Jerrod to win the starting job.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4420930
Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman has settled on Jerrod Johnson as his starting quarterback for the Aggies' Sept. 5 opener against New Mexico.

Sherman's decision is not unexpected, considering he has repeatedly said that converted wide receiver Ryan Tannehill needed to decisively outplay Johnson to win the job.

"The way it all finished up, we have two No. 1s that I'm very excited about," Sherman told reporters after practice on Monday. "I believe in both of our quarterbacks and am equally happy with both. But the nod will go to Jerrod as our starter for the first ballgame and we'll go from there."

Back
Top Bottom