Watching this HOF enshrinement, I have to admit | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Watching this HOF enshrinement, I have to admit

Here is the problem. The Hall of Fame speech can't be a living obituary. That's what it has turned into. The players are being honored for their "CAREER" nothing more. The speech should start and stop with their NFL Career. Thank family, talk about your NFL career, tell a story or two and that's it. 10 minutes, 15 tops. But no longer. There is a reason why ESPN didn't carry the HOF this year, because it has become too long and far too boring. The speeches just drag on and on, going back to the day they were born and talking about childhood friends....nobody cares! Write a book and save those stories for that. The HOF speech is only about your NFL career.

The thanking of equipment managers and such it just tiresome and silly. Nobody cares that your father was a drunk and you struggled in pop warner football. That's not what a HOF speech is about. This has gotten worse every year but this year was the straw that broke the camels back. Changes are coming. I think the 10 minute rule will be enforced and I read a report that the NFL might steal from the Oscars in that once the time is up, music plays and the people will be ushered off. Which I would be all for after last night.

I respectfully disagree 100%. If you are elected to the HOF you NEED to thank everybody who helped you along the way. Can you imagine IF someone like Cameron Wake would ever have the opportunity to enter the HOF? Limiting him to his NFL experience would be rob him of his greatest achievement. Each player enshrined has had tremendous amount of support along the way and has endured hardships. The common theme of hard work, setting goals and never giving up are universal reminders on how to succeed in life. I actually thought the edited, pre-packaged presenters' speeches were flat and uninteresting.

As far as Dolphins who are not in the HOF that maybe should be, I agree that Kuech should, but not Offerdahl or some of the others mentioned. Duper and Clayton, I loved them, but no HOF. The only other name that I would throw out that might consider debate is Dick Anderson. I just think the HOF should be for the elite of the elite, and while some get in when they may not fit that category(Andre Reed I believe is a perfect example) doesn't mean others should because that is the level to which we have stooped.

When compared to Andre Reed, anyone can join the HOF. He had a long career as a possession receiver in a pass happy offense.
Offerdahl was a beast until injury shortened his career.
Like another poster mentioned, those 3 Bills players and Levy were a stretch to get in.
Why the Bills owner? He had the crappiest franchise for decades, meanwhile Joe Robbie had the best winning % with the only unbeaten season. Robbie built his own stadium with his own money. The were both founders. I just don't get it.

I respectfully disagree 100%. If you are elected to the HOF you NEED to thank everybody who helped you along the way. Can you imagine IF someone like Cameron Wake would ever have the opportunity to enter the HOF? Limiting him to his NFL experience would be rob him of his greatest achievement. Each player enshrined has had tremendous amount of support along the way and has endured hardships. The common theme of hard work, setting goals and never giving up are universal reminders on how to succeed in life. I actually thought the edited, pre-packaged presenters' speeches were flat and uninteresting.

Honestly a player can talk about what he wants, just keep it within the 10 minutes he has allotted to him. The 30-40 min speeches are too much. When ESPN gives up on an NFL Event like it did with this, that's all you need to know!

When compared to Andre Reed, anyone can join the HOF. He had a long career as a possession receiver in a pass happy offense.
Offerdahl was a beast until injury shortened his career.
Like another poster mentioned, those 3 Bills players and Levy were a stretch to get in.
Why the Bills owner? He had the crappiest franchise for decades, meanwhile Joe Robbie had the best winning % with the only unbeaten season. Robbie built his own stadium with his own money. The were both founders. I just don't get it.

The reason Ralph Wilson made it in is because not only did was he the driving force into the NFL-AFL merger, but also he helped make the NFL what it is. He floated I think Oakland and Houston money so they wouldn't collapse as franchises. It pains me to write that as a Miami fan.....but, living in WNY I here this om a regular basis. I hate the Bills, I despise their franchise, I hate their fans and any person associated with that team. But Ralph Wilson is an iconic owner who kept a franchise in a small, shi**y market. But a plus note fu** Buffalo and their dumb a** fans.

I must say those were 4 of my most favorite Superbowls, F the Bills!

I think Reed honestly got in for two reasons. The health of Jim Kelly and his whiny behavior last year when he got passed over. Carter did the same thing last year and boom they put him in. So all you have to do is complain lol

4 STRAIGHT SUPER BOWL LOSSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OUCH!!!!!!!!! You have to be great to get to the SB but to not win one is brutal. They had some great players. I always loved Jim Kelly at the U of Miami but had to root against him his whole pro career.

I think Reed honestly got in for two reasons. The health of Jim Kelly and his whiny behavior last year when he got passed over. Carter did the same thing last year and boom they put him in. So all you have to do is complain lol

Complain and show up at "RADIO ROW" at the Super Bowl every year and do every radio show to kiss up to the voters. Most of the voters have radio shows these days so if you suck up to them you win. Or if you work for ESPN like Carter.

Honestly a player can talk about what he wants, just keep it within the 10 minutes he has allotted to him. The 30-40 min speeches are too much. When ESPN gives up on an NFL Event like it did with this, that's all you need to know!

So which is it, Mike? Can a player talk about his life story, humble beginnings, etc. or not?

So which is it, Mike? Can a player talk about his life story, humble beginnings, etc. or not?

I honestly don't want to hear any speeches, hell I I would have porbably walked out on the Gettysberg Address

When ESPN gives up on an NFL Event like it did with this, that's all you need to know!

It just means BSPN caters to the average less-knowledgeable A.D.D. " sports fan"

No question. I thought Miami had caught them when Keith Jackson was signed, but that just wasn't the case. It's a shame really that Buffalo didn't win a super bowl with that group of players. It also seemed to be a classy bunch with Levy obviously playing a part in that.

No question. I thought Miami had caught them when Keith Jackson was signed, but that just wasn't the case. It's a shame really that Buffalo didn't win a super bowl with that group of players. It also seemed to be a classy bunch with Levy obviously playing a part in that.

THings happen but just reaching the superbowl 4 straight times is quite an achievement that only they have done. It just would hurt as a fan to be a bills fan and they don't pull one out. They should have won the first dallas game but these things happen

The Bils rivalry w/ Miami back in the 90's was The rivalry. It made Seattle/SF look like sandlot football.

Richmond Webb v Bruce Smith was always epic.

...Good football player, terrible businessman.

He laid out Steve Young which myself and few other Utahns, who loathed the Niners for obvious reasons, enjoyed.

Back
Top Bottom