We've Got To Stop Bringing In Flakes | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We've Got To Stop Bringing In Flakes

BSQX4

Practice Squad
Reaction score
In view of David Boston getting hurt like almost everyone in Football knew would happen and Ricky Williams just imploding our offense which I had so much hope for is in dire trouble talentwise. Character guys from now on, no more reclamation projects. Guys like Daryl Gardner, Cecil Collins and now RW and DB have all blown up in our faces. We have to build a team with team players. No more me first guys like RW and DB. We do this because we are desperate and we need to stop being desperate. This last draft seems to be a good start, I believe other than Will Poole there isn't a blemish on any of the others. There all here to play and to play hard and do what the Coaches ask of them.How'd you like to be in a foxhole with Ricky Williams, not me, I'll take Tony Bua, Larry Chester, Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, Junior Seau, Pat Surtain or Jeno James. Quality guys without baggage. Without a track record of busting out in other places. Let's wise up. Look at New England, they're doing it right. I hate them but I have to respect what they've accomplished. That's what I want for us.

I read the first line and couldn't read anymore.

Everyone knew Boston would get hurt?? What else is the guy supposed to do?? He did everything right this time. He lost weight. He worked out the way we told him to work out, with the team. He was a model citiczen to boot. He did everything right. And fate stepped in and dealt an cruel blow to him. Simple as that.

How do you know Tony Bua is a quality guy? He has only been a Dolphin 4 months and it has been said he is kinda a hothead so don't include him with the guys who have been here. I agree with the other guy, Boston did everything that was asked of him, this is just a freal thing. Was David Bowens a flake last year when he did his kneee? yeah a real flake and bad apple for getting hurt falling off a ladder, that was a really stupid post man.

I have to agree with the general idea of the post. My take on the subject is that the Dolphins are and should be careful about WHICH players they award a big contract to. Injuries and retirements are all part of football. Its a rough job.
And you left out Lawerance Phillips. LOL.
What most of this is stemming from is the Dolphins nasty habit of trading away our draft picks for players that others teams probably would have released anyway, or paying way, way too high of a price for them as far as draft picks. It drains away alot of quality young players that the Dolphins could get through the entry draft. Remember, Zach was a fifth round pick. Tom Brady a sixth.

What does Boston's "baggage" have to do with anything? He came in and worked his *** off. He got hurt. It's not his fault. Bringing him in was an excellent decision, but sadly, he blew out his knee and won't be able to play.

While some of those players you listed are headcases, that didn't mean you weren't happy ricky came in '01 or even when lawrence taylor was signed to bring a running game. But now that they've messed up they are bad apples and should never have been piked up. by your logic, we should currently cut Corey Jenkins, Randy mcmicheal, eddie moore, and will poole. The last thing we need is more roster depletion.

also, remember we've been a winning franchise for decades now, and haven't had a top ten spot in the draft for years. We have to find gems later in the rounds that may have character or physical flaws. Zach Thomas- to small, Jason Taylor - Too small, Patrick Surtain-- DOesn't backpedal or move his hips well(hell knows what the hip thing means, but draft people love that saying). Because we've found such tremendous talent on the defensive side, we've locked up a great amount of cap money to secure their place on the team. This has left us little money to outright buy a top-flight free agent, instead we have to trade. And the trades we can take with losing everything is for players with flaws. A pro bowl player for a sixth round pick, you can't beat that trade. How much would it have cost to get Marvin Harrison , a good attitude guy, from the colts?

disclaimer: Terrell Owens for a second round pick doesn't count, he only would play for philly.

The FO makes these tradeas to bring in the best quality players with the least possible cost. While it backfired with williams, it has helped to keep our team consistently good.

The first thing that crossed my mind the day I found out Ricky was traded to the Dolphins was: I hope this guy can be productive for at least five seasons. It just made me wonder why the Saints would give up on a guy with Rickys talent level after just two seasons. (I know he played three with the Saints, but they drafted Deuce after Rickys second) Well, now I know why.
As for Lawrence Phillips, I viewed that as a MAJOR mistake from day one. That guy was a pampered screwup. I am the first one to say that I thought Cecil Collins would dominate the backfield for Miami for a decade. How wrong I was.

BSQX4 said:
In view of David Boston getting hurt like almost everyone in Football knew would happen and Ricky Williams just imploding our offense which I had so much hope for is in dire trouble talentwise. Character guys from now on, no more reclamation projects. Guys like Daryl Gardner, Cecil Collins and now RW and DB have all blown up in our faces. We have to build a team with team players.

... We do this because we are desperate and we need to stop being desperate. This last draft seems to be a good start, I believe other than Will Poole there isn't a blemish on any of the others. There all here to play and to play hard and do what the Coaches ask of them

...I'll take Tony Bua, Larry Chester, Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, Junior Seau, Pat Surtain or Jeno James. Quality guys without baggage. Without a track record of busting out in other places. Let's wise up.

Look at New England, they're doing it right. I hate them but I have to respect what they've accomplished. That's what I want for us.
Well said. As long as Miami's front office takes an NBA all-star approach to character and talent, they are going nowhere. We did suspect that Boston would implode for one reason or another. My money was on personality more than physical limitations. That or steroids. With Ricky I have to say I am wondering why it took so long. We have been waiting for him to do his best imitation of Cecil the Diesel for a long time. Frankly, trading away the draft for him was a mistake, EVEN if he went on to be a Hall of Famer. It does take a team to win in this NFL. Think how much deeper they could be right now without him if they had used those picks.

Some teams are starting to get it, and the more that do, those of us who back New England will see our advantage disappear. Already New England has taken some risks this year with Corey Dillon, and many of us who have seen them rewrite the book are wondering why. Despite that, they continue to have the deepest team in football. If you don't believe it, watch them this year because they are deeper than they have ever been, and some of that depth is only just starting to contribute. They are not built using the superstar model. They are built with guys who are willing to sacrifice and put team goals ahead of their own. They have some very good, underrated players, but they don't have the self-promoters, and as a result they don't get a lot of attention. David Givens is a monster and he is going to have a monster year. No matter how quietly he approaches the game, people will have to notice. Ben Watson could be the next Ben Coates, only with 4.4 speed. The list goes on.

Carolina was a hell of a good football team last year and I have nothing but respect for them. They lost some depth on the line but with their approach they should be good again. Fox will see to it. Jacksonville and the Texans -- two more teams who are joining the ranks of teams who understand what it takes to win in THIS NFL. The Jags will destroy some of their opponents this year, you can bank on it. The Texans might be a year away but they are building an organization, not just a team. In Dallas, Parcells -- a guy who should know better -- keeps thinking that he can handle the distractions like Keyshawn. Maybe he can, but I am not betting on them as long as Parcells places his own EGO above the team.

David Boston came in and was a model citizen and did everything we asked of him. That doesn't mean that the guy wasn't a little bit wierd and we KNEW he was an injury risk. Muck, I respect your opinions always but I got to tell you , every practice I went to Boston constantly stopping to stretch his leg and I saw him limp around more, much more than the average player. Huge upper body and almosy spindelly(sp?) legs. Hey, were all pissed and I don't mean to be a Monday morning Q.B. but if you think this player wasn't more likely to get hurt than the average player your wrong. Why didn't anybody want him? Don't get me wrong, I WANTED HIM but this kind of player isn't working out for us. I did forget Lawrence Phillips. Muck, fate dealt him a cruel blow, no doubt, but there was a higher probability with this player, let's not kid ourselves. As for Dolphinrodney, I've been to enough practices to get a feel for Bua and I'll include anyone I want anywhere I want whether you like it or not. The point of the post went over your head so who's stupid? Did I mention David Bowens? Calm down dude, I'm pissed also, I just think we need to exercise a little more care about who we bring in.

PatriotGOD said:
Carolina was a hell of a good football team last year and I have nothing but respect for them. They lost some depth on the line but with their approach they should be good again. Fox will see to it. Jacksonville and the Texans -- two more teams who are joining the ranks of teams who understand what it takes to win in THIS NFL. The Jags will destroy some of their opponents this year, you can bank on it. The Texans might be a year away but they are building an organization, not just a team. In Dallas, Parcells -- a guy who should know better -- keeps thinking that he can handle the distractions like Keyshawn. Maybe he can, but I am not betting on them as long as Parcells places his own EGO above the team.

You forgot Detriot. After a model offseason, i think they will be much more of a force to contend with next year.

I mean, how come we couldn't have had an offseason like THEY had!????

It was a role-reversal. The crappy team had a dream offseason and the good team had a Cardinal-ish offseason

Patriot God, thank you for a well thought out response. My own fellow fin fans wanted to attack me but they know I'm right. There is a very sour mood about the team and I understand that very well because so am I. I agree with every word you said. It's a bright, inventive front office, top Coaching and the team concept that will work in todays era of spoiled selfish athletes who put themselves over their team. Bring in character guys. How many times must we get burned? Not too many more, I hope.

This stuff about the Pats and character guys is BS. Willie McGhinist beats women, Corey Dillon is a dirtbag, Harrison is the dirtiest player in football, Ty Law was caught with Ecstacy a few years ago, Stubblefield is in the center of the BALCO investigation. You get the point. Let's not listen to the Patsy fans about how their team is a bunch of 'great guys'. They are no different than most teams in football. Winning Superbowls is respected but let's not pretend that they did it with a bunch of choir boys.

kasaba13 said:
This stuff about the Pats and character guys is BS. Willie McGhinist beats women, Corey Dillon is a dirtbag, Harrison is the dirtiest player in football, Ty Law was caught with Ecstacy a few years ago, Stubblefield is in the center of the BALCO investigation. You get the point. Let's not listen to the Patsy fans about how their team is a bunch of 'great guys'. They are no different than most teams in football. Winning Superbowls is respected but let's not pretend that they did it with a bunch of choir boys.
You missed the point. There is probably an opening for you in the Miami front office. Not choir boys or players that have never done anything wrong, but UNSELFISH players who set their egos aside, show up when they are expected, don't let their teammates down, and above all else, are receptive to coaching. They pick players who are brighter than average and demonstrate leadership and maturity, players with a coaches mentality. To be a Patriot you have to follow the game plan explicitly. That means sometimes accepting a diminished role and always accepting a changing one. It means they want players who buy into the system. Those that don't get shipped out (see Tebuckey Jones). It isn't perfect (see Ty Law), and they aren't expected to be perfect on and off the field, but they are expected to accept responsibility like mature adults and not whining children.

Contrary to what you say, they have zero tolerance for legal problems off the field and will cut a player for so much as a DUI. One starting lineman, Kenyatta Jones, was cut last year after he was charged with assaulting his housemate with scalding water. To prove my point -- that the league is infinitely more tolerant of this behavior than the Pats -- he was picked up by the Redskins almost immediately, and several other teams tried to sign him. (If I remember correctly, Miami was one of them....?) Fortunately for New England and their fans, there are legions of people like you who continue not to get it. Success is ensured. :shakeno: :up:

As for the specifics of your accustions, such as Harrison being dirty, that is just asinine and it is envy. If he played for you he would be a player that gives as good as he gets, and always leaves it on the field. You are exactly the sort of immature, negative person that New England wouldn't want... :D :up:

It's not fate my friend, it's Juice. Steroids increase greatly your risk of injury.

I read the first line and couldn't read anymore.

Everyone knew Boston would get hurt?? What else is the guy supposed to do?? He did everything right this time. He lost weight. He worked out the way we told him to work out, with the team. He was a model citiczen to boot. He did everything right. And fate stepped in and dealt an cruel blow to him. Simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom