What a healthy Tannehill would do this year? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What a healthy Tannehill would do this year?

We aren't getting rid of Ryan Tannehill. RT is one of the main reasons Gase came to Miami.

If we've learned anything from the past, it should be that this constant churn of coaches and players has gotten us nowhere. Gase, took a below average team last year and got them to the playoffs. This year, he loses his QB before the season starts and is struggling....and we all somehow expect us to not skip a beat in improving this year over last. Sorry, I don't think that is realistic. If you look at the long term successful teams in the NFL (New England, Green Bay...etc.) you see a continuity that needs to grow over time. You don't blow it up because one of your primary weapons is missing and the team has struggled. All that does is start this vicious cycle all over again.

It is fair to question some of Gase's decisions (Cutler and Ajayi in particular) or those of Tannenbaum, but Gase isn't going anywhere and neither is RT. What we do need, is more depth on the OL, a tight end that can become part of the game plan and linebackers that can tackle and cover. Do that, and bring back a healthy RT and this is a good, solid team that should continue to improve.

As someone who saw the potential in Tannehill, while he was contending with swiss cheese OLs, bad coaching, substandard and lazy receiving corps, undependable running games and pissing blood from standing in there trying to make plays, I was contending that the glass for him and his potential was more than "half full." During his 7-1 run, despite having to contend with some of the same issues, albeit not on so grand a scale, I felt that my faith in him had been validated.

Relatedly, since last season so many of Tannehill's naysayers were holding a 4th round draft pick up as comparison. Lately I could not be more delighted with Dallas's fall from grace and the struggles of said QB, Dak Prescott. Now losing their offensive bellcow in Zeke and having to contend with sometimes an average, no longer great OL, and with receivers who may not be as great as billed, but are certainly better than the likes of Wallace and Hartline, this particular "flavor of the month" has been demonstrating that he's really not all that. Actually given what he has to work with vs what Tannehill most years was saddled by, Prescott has demonstrated via lack of TDs, rate of interceptions and less than pedestrian QBR that w/o Zeke, he's actually done less with more than Tannehill.

This should prove instructive: let's either not be so quick to extol the virtues of QBs who look great when all systems are go and bash Tannehill for when most systems weren't. And maybe holding the formerly heralded "Dak Prescott" up for perspective, let's start giving Tannehill the deserved credit where due!

With Tannehill being out for an entire year, I expect major regression when he does come back. Not that he was all that before his injury. Tannehill is the bane of any coach's career. He isn't totally putrid, but he isn't really good either. A middle of the road player much like Andy Dalton. Tannehill isn't good enough to carry a team. The defense has to be extremely good, the o-line mistake free, and than Tannehill is acceptable.

With Tannehill being out for an entire year, I expect major regression when he does come back. Not that he was all that before his injury. Tannehill is the bane of any coach's career. He isn't totally putrid, but he isn't really good either. A middle of the road player much like Andy Dalton. Tannehill isn't good enough to carry a team. The defense has to be extremely good, the o-line mistake free, and than Tannehill is acceptable.
Whatever.

I suspect with our offensive line, if Tannehill was healthy he would again be injured.

Except, he was much better last year...

he was sacked 29 times...17 of those were before we cut Thomas and Turner...the biggest turds to put on a Dolphin uniform. Over the next 8 games, he was sacked 12 times. This season, we have only given up 18 sacks through 10 games. I would say, on the whole. The pass blocking is pretty average which is a massive improvement from several years ago when we were hitting 50 sacks a season. Before you pin those all on Tannehill, He had one of the shortest snap to sack averages (time between when the ball is snapped and the QB is hit) in the NFL.
The 18 sacks is illusionary....it's the result of a lot of throws into the ground to avoid sacks by Cutler. The pass blocking we have isn't acceptable.

I think that’s a little off. I think tannehill is good enough to win and mount comebacks but not elite (manning, Brady, etc)

Skeet01, I almost agree with you. Most everyone who writes about football actually thought the dolphins would regress this year, with most pundits predicting that the dolphins would finish 7 and 9 and that was of course with a healthy Ryan Tannehill. So a healthy Tannehill might have given the dolphins that record. I will also say that Ryan Tannehill is the least of the dolphin worries.

As someone who saw the potential in Tannehill, while he was contending with swiss cheese OLs, bad coaching, substandard and lazy receiving corps, undependable running games and pissing blood from standing in there trying to make plays, I was contending that the glass for him and his potential was more than "half full." During his 7-1 run, despite having to contend with some of the same issues, albeit not on so grand a scale, I felt that my faith in him had been validated.

Relatedly, since last season so many of Tannehill's naysayers were holding a 4th round draft pick up as comparison. Lately I could not be more delighted with Dallas's fall from grace and the struggles of said QB, Dak Prescott. Now losing their offensive bellcow in Zeke and having to contend with sometimes an average, no longer great OL, and with receivers who may not be as great as billed, but are certainly better than the likes of Wallace and Hartline, this particular "flavor of the month" has been demonstrating that he's really not all that. Actually given what he has to work with vs what Tannehill most years was saddled by, Prescott has demonstrated via lack of TDs, rate of interceptions and less than pedestrian QBR that w/o Zeke, he's actually done less with more than Tannehill.

This should prove instructive: let's either not be so quick to extol the virtues of QBs who look great when all systems are go and bash Tannehill for when most systems weren't. And maybe holding the formerly heralded "Dak Prescott" up for perspective, let's start giving Tannehill the deserved credit where due!

The sad thing is....too many still don't see it. They think the game is played in a vacuum. "QB "x" has such better stats in his 2nd year so obviously he's better than RT". The even funnier thing is you can't tell them anything.

Fantastic example too. Dak looks like a lost puppy who only sees the opposing DB's to throw it to. People should really start appreciating RT bc that kid has it and this season has made it abundantly clear.

The sad thing is....too many still don't see it. They think the game is played in a vacuum. "QB "x" has such better stats in his 2nd year so obviously he's better than RT". The even funnier thing is you can't tell them anything.

Fantastic example too. Dak looks like a lost puppy who only sees the opposing DB's to throw it to. People should really start appreciating RT bc that kid has it and this season has made it abundantly clear.

The only thing this season has made abundantly clear is that a poor pass offense combined with a poor pass defense equals a terrible team.

Tannehill's return at his typical level of play, combined with a poor pass defense, would result in roughly a 7-9 finish.

Tannehill's not working any miracles alongside this caliber of pass defense. No QB can.

The only thing this season has made abundantly clear is that a poor pass offense combined with a poor pass defense equals a terrible team.

Tannehill's return at his typical level of play, combined with a poor pass defense, would result in roughly a 7-9 finish.

Tannehill's not working any miracles alongside this caliber of pass defense. No QB can.

I don't think anyone argued Tannehill would of turned this team to playoff contenders. We lack talent at every position other than Wr and DT. I agree that pass defense and pass offense are great indicators for success.

Except last year...correct?

LOL....your trying way too hard.....

Well then by all means, show how this year's pass defense is as good as or better than last year's, and how that would translate to the 2017 team's being as good as or better than the 2016 team with only the addition of Tannehill. Best of luck. ;)

Back
Top Bottom