What a healthy Tannehill would do this year? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What a healthy Tannehill would do this year?

And just to follow that up, being a box score follower can be nice, but it's not going to tell you what actually happened. If the box score was genuinely meaningful for analyzing the game of football beyond the purely abstract, then fixing things would be as simple as saying "Gee, we should just stop throwing the ball unless we're pretty sure we can score a touchdown on the play."

That is of course, ridiculous.

Everything in context. For instance, our team is bad at converting third downs? Is it because we suck at throwing on third downs, or because our average gain needed to convert is much higher than average? Maybe you saw during yesterday's game that at one point, Miami was averaging 11.9 yards needed on third down. 11.9 yards! We had so many penalties in that game that when our offense didn't pick up chunks to move the sticks, we were actually moving backwards on 1st and 2nd down.

I wonder what ESPN's QBR would say about that.

Op should see the San Francisco game last year when they played with 10 in the box qb results

Another swing and a miss
Yes, RT had a good game. That is one game, a snap shot. But when you look at body of work, RT went from below average to average last year. ( or not close to elite level, you have to agree to that ). And my point again, unless there is major dramatic improvement this year ( huge assumption), a healthy RT will not do much better for this team this year.

Last edited:
To all of you;
My main point was RT is not a savior. we cannot give Gase a pass this season because RT went down.
OP is not about ripping RT.

Certainly seems that way to me and to start off by name calling the fans that support our coach does not help your case.
Knock that off

Even if you do think Tannehill is a bottom-half-of-the-league QB, that's still a very significant upgrade over what Cutler gives us, especially in a league that's determined to make QB the only role that matters. It's hard to explain in words just how bad Cutler has been this year.

Yes, RT had a good game. That is one game, a snap shot. But when you look at body of work, RT went from below average to average last year. ( or not close to elite level, you have to agree to that ). And my point again, unless there is major dramatic improvement this year ( huge assumption), a healthy RT will not do much better for this team this year.

You've been given direct references to specific situations that oppose your point of view and you have offered nothing other then what you believe. You offer assumptions and chastise those that do the same (although most of their assumption do have actual support instead of faulty logic, hypotheticals, and just plain uninformed opinion). We are not allowed to attack posters specifically so in my care for this site I will not do that, but these "takes" are tiresome as you continue to make the same pointless argument without ever evolving your support and evidence.

Certainly seems that way to me and to start off by name calling the fans that support our coach does not help your case.
Knock that off
Knock what off? this forum is about talking football, yes? My intention was not ripping RT. But what if I was, I cannot say RT is a sub-par QB?
As for 'Gase fan boys', it was an expression about why we should not give Gase a pass due to RT went down. It was about football, and not personal.
And do I have to always support our coach to post? I expressed my opinion about our coach, and why posters should not give him a pass, I reasons I gave were football reasons.
I don't care whether my opinion win any fans or how many 'like' or 'dislike'. I was my opinion. I may be right or I may be wrong. But it is mind.

Even if you do think Tannehill is a bottom-half-of-the-league QB, that's still a very significant upgrade over what Cutler gives us, especially in a league that's determined to make QB the only role that matters. It's hard to explain in words just how bad Cutler has been this year.
Agreed. RT is way better than Culter. So does qb at most division 1A colleges.

Knock what off? this forum is about talking football, yes? My intention was not ripping RT. But what if I was, I cannot say RT is a sub-par QB?
As for 'Gase fan boys', it was an expression about why we should not give Gase a pass due to RT went down. It was about football, and not personal.
And do I have to always support our coach to post? I expressed my opinion about our coach, and why posters should not give him a pass, I reasons I gave were football reasons.
I don't care whether my opinion win any fans or how many 'like' or 'dislike'. I was my opinion. I may be right or I may be wrong. But it is mind.

Yet, it is a term you have directed at me before and it is in reference to specific posters. This has been little about actual football...well others are discussing football, you are simply throwing out thoughts with no support. Yes, it may be football related, but that is like calling a Hot Pocket "dinner".

I just told you. I think that if you want a numerical analysis of a quarterback's effectiveness, passer rating is a much better metric to go by than ESPN QBR. And for reasons that I already outlined.

A couple of years ago I looked at every quarterback season since 2004, and accounted for things like head coach, offensive coordinator, and how many years the quarterback had been with the team, to see what kind of statistical characteristics playoff quarterbacks had in common and whether or not certain coaches did a better job of getting them to play that way.

Not surprisingly, you know what I discovered? Nothing related to the quarterback is a better predictor of a playoff berth for a football team than the percentage of touchdowns and interceptions he throws. So, look at the touchdown rate and the interception rate, and then take the differential (i.e. subtract the interception rate from the touchdown rate) and surprise! You discover the single biggest concept behind what creates wins in the NFL: Putting the ball in the end zone and not coughing the ball up to the opposition.

(My other conclusion was that we should have hired Gary Kubiak when he was available, shortly before he got hired and won a Super Bowl in Denver.)
Thank you for well thought out reply.
I agreed espn rating is not end all be all. Espn has their agenda toward teams like Pats and Cowboys.
I am interesting to find out, base on your metric, where is RT ranked last year? Is he approaching elite level? on par with Brady, Roger, or second tier?

Yet, it is a term you have directed at me before and it is in reference to specific posters. This has been little about actual football...well others are discussing football, you are simply throwing out thoughts with no support. Yes, it may be football related, but that is like calling a Hot Pocket "dinner".
If "Gase fanboys" offended you, fine. I will gladly change to "Gase supporters".
I threw out espn stat, and some disagreed with that. Then I stated the OL problem and healthy RT cannot fix that. If that is not football, I don;t know what is?

What a healthy Tannehill would have done this season, Based on some of the o-line struggles I would say the odds on favorite would be "he would have likely suffered some type of injury by this point of the year." As things turned out it may have been in his best interest to miss this season.

True you haven't violated any site rules as of yet but when someone starts a thread and immediately insults other members in the first sentence it's probably gonna get little support (which it has)

T
I am interesting to find out, base on your metric, where is RT ranked last year? Is he approaching elite level? on par with Brady, Roger, or second tier?

He finished with a differential of 1.8 after 13 games, which is OK. The most comparable players for him in that category last season were Jameis Winston, Russell Wilson, and Andy Dalton.

He threw a pretty good touchdown percentage, but his interception rate skyrocketed. He threw 7 in the first 5 games and then three in that Baltimore disaster.

Tom Brady led the league with a differential of 6, followed by Matt Ryan at 5.8 and Aaron Rodgers at 5.5. Brady and Rodgers have averaged 4.8 and 4.4 over their careers.

If you want to compare his performance last season -- in total -- to what other guys do on a year to year basis, the best comparison is actually Philip Rivers. High yards per attempt, strong touchdown percentage, too many interceptions.

Back
Top Bottom