What is your position on the offsides rule (Soccer)? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is your position on the offsides rule (Soccer)?

What is your opinion of the offsides rule?

• Total voters
Why not also make a poll on whether to stop the clock for cases where a player fakes an injury or does something purely as a time-wasting strategy.. These two ideas and the 2 ref idea are things I think would really help soccer reduce the "deceiving the ref" tradition many players employ.

I think technology will have to modify it.....like an invisible electric fence for Dogs.

I am torn between eliminating it entirely and make it more like basketball (I hate it in Hockey too) and let folks cherry-pick if they want.....or keeping it but eliminating the human error of inconsistency with refs, etc.

ckb2001 said:
Why not also make a poll on whether to stop the clock for cases where a player fakes an injury or does something purely as a time-wasting strategy.. These two ideas and the 2 ref idea are things I think would really help soccer reduce the "deceiving the ref" tradition many players employ.

The clock stoppage thing is just dumb....you can and should be able to stop the clock so everyone in the place knows when its stopped and started vs this approx time added garbage at the end. Sheeesh, 45 minutes is 45 minutes you dont need to come up with extra time and have only one guy on the pitch know exactly when a clock is stopped.

BigDogsHunt said:
The clock stoppage thing is just dumb....you can and should be able to stop the clock so everyone in the place knows when its stopped and started vs this approx time added garbage at the end. Sheeesh, 45 minutes is 45 minutes you dont need to come up with extra time and have only one guy on the pitch know exactly when a clock is stopped.

Are you sure you know what you're saying???? Clock stoppage is something that is NOT occurring right now!!! That's called stoppage time! So, when I advocate clock stoppage I am advocating exactly what you seem to be advocating with the exception of your first statement.

Clock stoppage means stopping the clock so that 45 min = 45 min as in American sports.

ckb2001 said:
Are you sure you know what you're saying???? Clock stoppage is something that is NOT occurring right now!!! That's called stoppage time! So, when I advocate clock stoppage I am advocating exactly what you seem to be advocating with the exception of your first statement.

Clock stoppage means stopping the clock so that 45 min = 45 min as in American sports.

Maybe we are arguing the same thing.....I am saying just like other "american sports" the clock is stopped for out of bounds, etc.....you can do the same with Soccer...just have the refs clock connected to the giant scoreboard.

Let them stop it when they want (which is whats happening for them to come up with stoppage time) just let everyone in on it from the beginning. Once it hits 45 minutes its over, but it can stop based on what the ref is calling on the field.

Is that the same thing as what you are saying? Or do you want the clock to start and not stop with no stoppage time added at 45 minutes regardless of how much time is wasted with fake injuries, substitutions, etc?

I am saying there shouldnt be stoppage time at the end.....just stop the clock when necessary so everyone knows when its stopped and started but only the 45 minutes is used....or 15 min for extra time, etc.

BigDogsHunt said:
Maybe we are arguing the same thing.....I am saying just like other "american sports" the clock is stopped for out of bounds, etc.....you can do the same with Soccer...just have the refs clock connected to the giant scoreboard.

Let them stop it when they want (which is whats happening for them to come up with stoppage time) just let everyone in on it from the beginning. Once it hits 45 minutes its over, but it can stop based on what the ref is calling on the field.

Is that the same thing as what you are saying? Or do you want the clock to start and not stop with no stoppage time added at 45 minutes regardless of how much time is wasted with fake injuries, substitutions, etc?

This is what I wrote in the second post of this thread:

"Why not also make a poll on whether to stop the clock for cases where a player fakes an injury or does something purely as a time-wasting strategy"

So, we're arguing the same thing basically. Though I would first argue to stop it only in cases of faked injury etc.. and not for every single out-of-bounds call or so (though one could do that too) because that part of the game isn't really disgraceful.

However, when players try to deceive the ref through faking of injuries, that is disgraceful, and many times they do it when their team is leading to waste time. Stopping the clock as in American sports for at LEAST all time-wasting cases makes sense (as you seem to also think).

BigDogsHunt said:
I am saying there shouldnt be stoppage time at the end.....just stop the clock when necessary so everyone knows when its stopped and started but only the 45 minutes is used....or 15 min for extra time, etc.

Right, I agree, and I think there should be a poll on this too...

ckb2001 said:
This is what I wrote in the second post of this thread:

"Why not also make a poll on whether to stop the clock for cases where a player fakes an injury or does something purely as a time-wasting strategy"

So, we're arguing the same thing basically. Though I would first argue to stop it only in cases of faked injury etc.. and not for every single out-of-bounds call or so (though one could do that too) because that part of the game isn't really disgraceful.

However, when players try to deceive the ref through faking of injuries, that is disgraceful, and many times they do it when their team is leading to waste time. Stopping the clock as in American sports for at LEAST all time-wasting cases makes sense (as you seem to also think).

Yes, we agree....:lol:

Ultimately, I just want all fans and players in on the "secret" stoppage. Why is the ref the only one with the clock who knows exactly when they choose to stop it and why, etc. Connect it to the big board, so all Fans know exactly when the clock is running and when its not. Seems basic to me.

BigDogsHunt said:
Now, lets return the thread to offsides....LOL

Hehe, the question is whether to do the debating here or on the "merged: official WC thread" where it's going on too. :lol:

ckb2001 said:

Leave soccer the way it is man....

Back
Top Bottom