What position should we target in next years draft? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What position should we target in next years draft?

secondary seems to be the biggest need on defense. I think a cb opposite Davis is a big need as Allen gives up too many big plays and Smith is too inconsistent to be a starter. I think we also need to look at FS, as even though Cleomons has not done a bad job, he has not done anything to make plays (INT's etc). A FS isn the mold of Earl Thomas is available, that would be a huge upgrade. I also think adding a physical MLB could be good to pair with Dansby. I like Crowder, but the injury history is scary.

On offense, The thing Miami needs is speed, whether it be at the TE, WR or RB position. A home run WR (like Ginn was suppossed to be) would pay huge dividends opposite marshall and with Bess isn the slot. If they can return kicks, even better. That said, i do not see Mia drafting a wr. A TE that can strecth the field and run down the seam would be huge. Look at the Patriots young TE's - that would be great. As for RB, I like Ronnie and hope they resign him (if he healthy), but him and Ricky are too similar. Mia needs a rb who can hit a big gain and make people miss, as well as take swing passes out of the backfield and turn them into big yds. As for OL, too early to tell on Jerry, but IMO Berger is a downgrade from Grove.

After watching Hines Ward abuse our CBs, I'm thinking we need a big strong corner that can play like a linebacker.

They put him in the slot a lot and got him matched up with Dansby and Benny Sapp...he had his way with those mis-matches.

Kyle Rudolph of Notre Dame has to be on the radar. He is simply a mismatch at any level. I like Ryan Williams of VT but not in Round 1. Kendall hunter of Oklahoma State is a guy I want in Round 3..

My Current Mock

1-Kyle Rudolph-TE-Notre Dame
3-Kendall Hunter-RB-Oklahoma State
4-John Moffitt-OC/OC-Wisconsin
5-Phil Taylor-NT-Baylor
6-Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska
7-Danny Watkins-OT-Baylor

Niles Paul ain't making it to round 6... he's one of the best Senior WR prospects in this class.. (despite virtually losing the Texas game for Nebraska due to his drops)...

His floor is the 4th round....

The Dolphins could go many ways in the draft.

QB: They like Henne as the starter and they like Thigpen as the backup but Chad Pennington won't be a Dolphin after this season. I could see them taking a Quarterback in the Round 5-7 Range.. Greg McElroy of Alabama, Nathan Enderle of Idaho, and Jerrod Johnson of Texas A&M intrigue me here.

RB: Ronnie looks slow and choppy and we know Ricky Williams is almost at the twighlight of his career. Mark Ingram of Alabama would be ideal but the chances of him falling to us are very slim. Ryan Williams and Shave Vareen are too small for our offense as we prefer the "bruiser" type of back. Daniel Thomas of Kansas State, John Clay of Wisconsin, Evan Royster of Penn State, Allen Bradford of USC, Brandon Saine of Ohio State, and Kendall Hunter of Oklahoma State are names that pop to me in the Rounds 3-5 range. Hunter reminds me of a shiftier Ray Rice and Daniel Thomas is an absolute stud.

WR: I think this is an area where we should look. If you could draft a Julio Jones of Bama, Michael Floyd of Notre Dame, or Jonathan Baldiwn of Pittsburgh it is worth because playing opposite of Brandon Marshall and having Bess in the slot would fair very well. Hartline would make a great #4 but I am not sold on him as a starter. This is very doubtful but in later Rounds I like titus Young of Boise State, Dwayne Harris of East Carolina, Greg Little of North Carolina, Niles Paul of Nebraska, and Armon Binns of Cincinnati.

OL: We know never to count us drafting an Offensive Line especially with Joe Berger struggling it could present a real possibility. I love Stefen Wisniewski our of Penn State and think he has to be high on our radar. Jake Long, Vernon Carey, and John Jerry are defiently starters on this team and I think Richie Incognito will face some serious competition from Nate Garner for the Left Guard Spot. John Moffitt of Wisconsin, Steve Schilling of Michigan, Andrew Jackson of Fresno State, and Orlando Franklin of Miami are guys I would love to see us target. Could Vernon Carey move to Guard and the Dolphins look at Joseph Barksdale of LSU or Gabe Carimi of Wisconsin? One guy who intrigues me in the later Rounds in Marcus Gilbert of Florida. I am not a fan of Pouncey from Florida and would stay away but Jake Kirkpatrick of TCU is another guy I am high on.

TE: I really like Kyle Rudolph as a mismatch who could be a great security blanket for Mr. Henne who checks down an awful lot. Great size, speed, and hands. Lance Kendricks of Wisconsin is the only other guy I have going in the Top 3 Rounds and I think he can be an absolute steal.

DE: I don't think we look at this position. With Jared Odrick, Kendall Langford, Phillip Merling, Randy Starks, and Tony McDaniel on board I think this a position where we are pretty set.

DT: Though he doesn't have ideal size I love Nick Fairley of Auburn. Powerful and dominant. Jerrell Powe of Mississippi is intriguing as well. Paul Soliai and Randy Starks have gotten the job done and I love our rotation when healthy. I could see us looking at a Phil Taylor from Baylor in the later rounds.

OLB: Von Miller of Texas A&M and Akeem Ayers of UCLA are both greta players. I prefer Ayers to Miller now but both should be on the radar. A rotation of Wake, Misi, and Ayers would be frightful. I also could see Koa Misi moving inside and playing with Dansby and Crowder. Akeem Ayers is a guy who can come in and make a difference immediatly. I respect the return of Herzlich but I would pass as I don't see the same player as I did pre-cancer. Chris Carter of Fresno State has beend rawing a lot of buzz so he could be a mid-round target. Jack Crawford from Penn State is a guy whom I do not like.

ILB: I don't see it with Edds, Dobbins, Crowder, Dansby and Misi's ability to slide inside.

CB: Vontae is a solid starter and Will Allen should return from injury. Jason Allen has been a roller-coaster this year and Nolan Carroll shows promise. I have faith in Sean Smith and have seen a nice imporvement in his game. I am contect with vontae, Sean Smith, Jason Allen, Nolan Carroll, and Will Allen next year. Benny Sapp has to go. If Prince Amukamara is one the board when we pick I think you grab him. He is my favorite Cornerback in this draft and yes over Patrick Peterson of LSU.

S: The Dolphins thought enough of Chris Clemons to pass on Atogwe this off-season and he has answered the bell. I could see a Pro-Bowl berth in the works for this guy in the next couple of years. Yeremiah Bell is the oldest starter on our defense but is only one year removed from a Pro-Bowl appearence. Reshad Jones is waiting in the wings and I think he will be a good player. We could look at a guy has Tyrone Culver doesn't see the field much.

K/P: We are set here for sure...

Round 1
Stefen Wisniewski-OC-Penn State, Akeem Ayers-OLB-UCLA, Von Miller-OLB-Texas A&M, Nick Fairley-DT-Auburn, Julio Jones of Alabama, Prince Amukamara-CB-Nebraska, and Kyle Rudolph-TE-Notre Dame

Round 3
John Moffitt-OC-Wisconsin, Lance Kendricks-TE-Wisconsin, Kendall Hunter-RB-Oklahoma State, Daniel Thomas-RB-Kansas State, Steve Schilling-OG-Michigan, Orlando Franklin-OT/OG-Miami, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, and Greg Little-WR-North Carolina

Round 4
Titus Young-WR-Boise State, Luke Stocker of Tennesse, Marcus Cannon-OT/OG-TCU, Marcus Gilbert-OT-Florida, Justin Boren of Ohio State, Jake Kirkpatrick-OC-TCU, Sam Acho-OLB-Texas, Jarvis jenkins-DT-Clemson, Chris Carter-OLB-Fresno State, Mario harvey-ILB-Marshall

Round 5
Phil Taylor-NY-Baylor, Shiloh Keo-SS-Idaho, Charles Brown-CB-North Carolina, Alex Wujciak-ILB-Maryland, Brandon Saine-RB-Ohio State, Andrew Jackson-OG-Fresno State, Mark Dell-WR-Michigan State, and Armon Binns-WR-Cincinnati

Round 6

Danny Watkins-OT-Baylor, Chris Hairston-OT-Clemson, Carl johnson-OG-Florida

RB.... Helu from Nebraska, Royster from Penn St, or Hunter from Oklahoma St

TE.... Pianalto from UNC or Gantt from Michigan St

WR.... Kerley from Texas Christian

QB.... Ponder from Florida St, Dalton from Texas Christian, or Kapernick from NV-Reno

Back
Top Bottom