What size contract will Lamont Jordan command on the open free agent market?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Maggot Brain, Feb 10, 2005.

Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
  1. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Trade Bait

My opinion on this guy has always been high and I think he has all the tools to be a top notch starting NFL RB. He has low mileage and has shown signs of stardom when giving the chance (I seem to remember he and Martin both hanging over a hundo on Miami last year). Regardless if the rumors are true about the Jets franchising Abraham, there's no way they'd slap a franchise tag on Jordan and have to pay a backup an average of the top five RB salaries. It's a dicey situtation for the Jets. Curtis Martin can't have many years left, and while they already have a perfect replacement for him on their roster, they'll have to pay him way more than a backup should make if they want to keep him. I know there are some other tags (transitional, ?) teams can designate players as that are less lucrative than franchise and perhaps the Jets are planning to do so. If not I think Miami should be all over this guy like ugly on your momma assuming they can clear enough cap room. Of all the backs that will potentially be available via free agency I think this guy brings just as much ability and possibly more upside with less risk than any of the others. That brings me back to my original question: what kind of contract do you think it would take to secure his services?

2. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Trade Bait

Somebody?........Anybody?........Hello?

3. Megatron

Megatron The POFO bully.

There ia already a bunch of Jordan threads.

4. Caldolfan

Caldolfan Starter

I like him also, all depends on how much he will play for. Remember we are now like the Pats in that we are not going to over pay for guys, they have to want to play for the team so the team can win.

5. Tommy5988

Tommy5988 Well-Known Member

bad attempt at a joke :shakeno: :shakeno:

6. LIQUID24

LIQUID24 hi

Just a rough estimate, he'll command something like a 4 year/$16 mill/$6 mill bonus contract.

7. Baz

Baz Ephemeral

He can't ask for the same contract Alexander or Edge would get. Those are proven Probowlers. He would get a 2nd tier contract, which would most likely put him in Miami's budget. I think he is a perfect fit for Miami......

8. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

It'd be nice to know what Saban's thinking.We can talk about all these players that we "think" could be good for us but we really don't know.Is fun to talk about it since is all we can do but we'll have to wait and see what Nick does. I can't wait for free agency just to see who we go after.In my opinion, Nick will go after a veteran QB first but other than that who knows what he'll do.

Ozzy rules!!

9. KB21

KB21 A True Fan

I don't know how much he will command, but I do believe that he will probably be the top priority on the Dolphins free agent wish list. Rick Spielman really loves this guy and tried to get him last year. I believe Rick, even if he doesn't have a long term future here, will try to get Nick Saban to make a play for LaMont Jordan.

Look for LaMont Jordan and Jonas Jennings to be on the top of the Dolphins wish list.

10. miamirick

miamirick Seasoned Veteran

Personally, I think he's just a BIT better than Gordon is...he's a career backup that has shown signs of being pretty good...This team needs a marquis name running with the rock on Sundays.

11. CashInFist

CashInFist A True Fan

Personally, I think he will get a 5-6 year deal worth about $1.5 million/year with about a $2-4 million signing bonus.

12. NYinBostonFin

NYinBostonFin Playoffs Please!!

Please no lamont jordan

13. musphinzfan

musphinzfan Pro Bowler

I hope Jordan is TOP priority.

14. DolfanNJ

DolfanNJ Well-Known Member

Why?

15. MOULDSROCKS

MOULDSROCKS A True Fan

Jordan is not worth a damn

I hope he is your starting RB next year.

16. Silent Hippy

Silent Hippy Well-Known Member

no point in getting this guy, we need an o-line, before we think about a hb.

17. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Da Dalphins

so because we need other things, we shouldnt even sign a RB?

18. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

Hey Nappy, I am with you, lamont will be a lot more resonable then Edge, or Alexander, and with the money we save with getting Jordan , we could use it on the rebuilding of the Oline! Let these learn together!

19. NYinBostonFin

Why no Lamont Jordan? I seem to be saying this a lot but,

1)He can't break tackles. Something you need to do esp. behind our line.
    2)He only gains yards when there is a huge hole.
    3)He's been a backup for a couple of years when, if he was good enough, he should have taken over martins spot this past season.
    4)The Jets don't seem too eager to keep him,
    a)not even close to splitting carries after he threatened to leave if he didnt see more time.
    b)no talks of resigning him, after he stated he wanted to stay with the jets and only the aging martin is still in backfield
    5)He isn't going to come cheap. Maybe cheaper than edge and alexander but not by much, and why not have a probowler instead of a proven backup.
    6)He isn't much better than what we have now, if at all.

I cant believe I'm agreeing with a bills fan but he isnt worth a damn. Herman edwards would never let him go if he was what you guys make him out to be, ESPECIALLY TO A RIVAL. If you've seen Jets games this past season and preseason you would know what im talking about. Trust me PLEASE NO LAMONT JORDAN.

20. djfresh47

djfresh47 R.I.P. djfresh47

With the depth at RB in the draft, I think if the Dolphins don't wanna draft a RB 2nd overall, a better option than Jordan may be a RB in the 3rd rd, or possibly the 2nd if they acquire a pick. I've never really been impressed with Jordan, he did tear up the Dolphins on MNF, but I don't believe Jeff Zgonia or Bryan Robinson strike fear in the heart of any RB.

21. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

I'd love for them to get Jordan. I'd immediately get a Jersey (simply because its my first name, other than that he seems like a good pickup)

22. Drfletcherdc

Drfletcherdc A True Fan

I think we could get Shaun for about 3 mil a year. Jordan would cost us 1.5-2 mil a year. That's a tough decision, glad its not mine.

23. DolfanDaveInATX

DolfanDaveInATX A True Fan

100 beee-llion dollars.

24. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

No Drfletch they both would cost significantly more than that...

25. Surferosa

Surferosa Run to Daylight

Heres a guess from my side just to add some numbers into the equation:

I say 5 years for $17 million, which includes a $6 million signing bonus. Considering most of these deals are very back heavy (say $4 million per season in years four and five), it would look like a 3 year, $9 million deal with very little chance that he makes it to the end of the contract without either reneogtiating (if hes good) or getting cut (if hes not).

He will be in demand this offseason.

26. Slappy8800

Slappy8800 Breathing is the hardest thing to do.

i hope lamont is the #1 RB on out wish list...explosive runner

27. LarryFinFan

LarryFinFan Left So Fla, never the Fins...

Spend what we would spend on Jordan on better D players or even a WR in FA...I see Saban acquiring a few D players that better fit the mold he is looking for...a LB, a DE, a DT, a S rather than a RB. Linehan's offense seems to be a RB-by-committee type of O as he has shown in Minny...that may have been out of need, but it seemed to work. He may also be looking more for an OL in FA. We can get a "Minor" type of RB that can catch the ball and is quick enough to make a guy miss on screens, draws and flares (a staple in his offense). I'd rather spend that money on a LT than a RB right now.... A decent line makes an average RB look good.

I would not be unhappy with Jordan, just a little surprised that Saban goes that route.

28. NYinBostonFin

What games did you watch?

29. FakeSpike13

FakeSpike13 A True Fan

4 years at 11.5 mill (1.5 mill signing bonus is fair for both sides).... stick in some incentive clauses as well

30. FakeSpike13

FakeSpike13 A True Fan

hahah some1 said 6 mill dollar signing bonus... thats insane for some1 who's been a backup his whole career

31. LIQUID24

LIQUID24 hi

There's alot of teams interested in him, which will drive up his price. I'll tell you what, he'll get a hell of a lot more than a puny $1.5 mill bonus, that's for sure.

32. FakeSpike13

FakeSpike13 A True Fan

There are a lot of teams interested in RBs, but the supply is just as big as the demand... so thats a wash... include the fact that at least 3 will have "starter material" through the draft (Brown, Cadillac, Benson)... and ur point is moot...

33. FakeSpike13

FakeSpike13 A True Fan

Running backs do not get paid an exorbitant amount in the nfl... I tried looking for a player salary link for 2004, but all I could find is 2003 salaries online... anyways you can still get the point from that link on usatoday... Jordan, with the supply of rb's out there, and his experience level will not get more than a 3 mill signing bonus (even that is a pretty high estimate)

34. NJPHINFAN

NJPHINFAN Where do these stairs go?

most of the teams that will be in search of a RB can also address it in the draft, because the draft is as deep with talent as FA is...of course, with FA's you get PROVEN talent, but your point that the bank will not be broken for a RB is spot on

35. FakeSpike13

FakeSpike13 A True Fan

I think just about everything in this post is dead wrong... Lamont Jordan is a tough inside runner with above-average speed to the outside for his build... It's true he's been blessed with a very good line to run behind, but most good backs have them...PLUS im a Nyfinfan that listens to the sports radio 24-6... and they just had Herm edwards on the Mike and the Mad Dog show yesterday... he said they were INTENT on signing Lamont, and the only way they wouldn't be able to is if the allure to start elsewhere would make him leave (which it probably will)... and the two most fallacious parts of the argument are "if he were good enough he'd be starting" and "he's not much better than what we have right now" :lol: :lol:

1) you act like Curtis Martin is dead wood... he's a sure-fire 1st ballot hall of famer and BTW, who led the league in rushing last year?
    2) and if you think Morris or Minor is as good as Jordan, go seek some "homer help".. .Gordon might be very good, but why not have a combo like the Falcons have at rb?

36. NJPHINFAN

I disagree with this assertion, and have stated this in many threads...the Jets have a Pro Bowl Center who brings up the quality of everyone around him...the rest of the guys are really just average to above average players...none you would call good, and certainly they do not approach GREAT...Mawae makes it tick, the rest are just along for the ride

EDIT: I am in the "bring Lamont to Miami Camp" also!

37. FakeSpike13

FakeSpike13 A True Fan

Kareem McKenzie is as you said above-average.... Fabini has been a major part to that line for years (although his play has declined)... and Pete Kendall is awesome... He should have been a pro bowler this year... wen Mawae missed time, he moved inside to center from Guard, showing his versatility....

38. NYinBostonFin

If my statement is wrong prove it.
    If you did watch any jets games you would know he went down after the first hit most of the time. And only gained decent yardage when the hole was huge. If he was the back you make him sound like he would AT LEAST split carries with curtis. NOT come in when Martin needs a breather.
    You could say the same arguement for gordan who we have and unfortunately got injured before a chance happened. Minor sucks i agree but Jordan isnt much better than what we have (Gordan, Morris)and not worht anything he will cost. I dont need homer help i would just rather pay for somebody worth it or draft. Why would we want somebody's leftovers that they ARE WILLING TO LET GO. TO Im sure if they make an offer, he said he wants to stay he will.I didnt hear the interview but if what herman edwards says is true .....thank god we arent going to get him. but that is the first ive heard about them keeping him. Who in atlanta do you think Gordan would be like?
    Again if he was an amazing inside runner.....with blazing speed to break tackles....they wouldnt think of letting him come to us.
    Curtis martin is a hof but he is on a run orientated team. Are you Telling me you would rather have curtis on your team than LT? Alexander?
    You say everything in my statement is wrong, then back nothing up and then me what he herman said on Mike and the Maddog?
    Please.....oh wait i forgot to make my point w/ smileys:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

39. NJPHINFAN

He averaged 5.2 yards per carry. How could he average 5.2 yards per carry and go down after the first hit most of the time? Even if that was a fact, he still managed to have some pretty decent runs for a guy who you view as nothing more than Curtis' waterboy.

I have said it before and I will say it again, Curtis Martin is not the washed up old man that many here view him as. He has rushed for 1000+ yards in EVERY year of his career and led the league in rushing this year. The reason Jordan can't get into the lineup is because he is playing behind a first ballot HOFer with plenty left in the tank.

40. NYinBostonFin

I am not saying martin is washed up. I am not one of those people......
    However you cant tell me he would not and should not have gotten more time if he was the back you say. Even when martin was banged up in the middle of the season they still gave him the load.Why? B/c Jordan can not be a #1. We can do better is the big picture im trying to say.
    The holes he got were HUGE. Especially b/c teams werent expecting the run b/c curtis wasnt in. Did you see him short distance this year at all? Horrible b/c they knew he was coming.
    I'd rather not overpay for a #2 RB. And don't give me well curtis is leading rb....
    Larry johnson may split carries w/ priest holmes,at least that was what was reported.
    And priest vs martin is laughable.
    But it does prove my point, if the kid shows his worth he gets the chance. Lamont hasnt.

41. DUB

DUB Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

i also think jordan is our most logical move he would be cheaper than ,ost FA backs and has a huge amount of potential, also an O-lineman(let houck be the judge of who) this allows us to fill other positions through the draft, we can draft a very very solid player in the position where we would drop on benson/brown/williams

42. LIQUID24

LIQUID24 hi

Still laughing?

You said he would get a $1.5 mill bonus :roflmao: , I said he would get $6 mill.

He ended up with a $7 mill bonus.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2003565

43. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

I am glad the Raiders got him. Now it is almost guaranteed that we get our RB thru the draft. Benson or Brown please! :D

44. LIQUID24

LIQUID24 hi

I wasn't at first, but I'm now cool with taking a RB at #2. There's still an outside chance we make an offer to Davenport though.

45. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

We Will Not Sign A Fa Running Back

46. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

I actually would like to see Davenport come here. Still, the idea of Benson or Brown would make my offseason. I would be the 1st one purchasing their jersey off of MiamiDolphins.com.

47. LIQUID24

LIQUID24 hi

Thanks Nick.

48. Mitchy71

Mitchy71 Saskatchewan PhinFan

I have to admit...

...that I am kinda glad he signed with Oakland. First of all, it gets him outta our division.
    And secondly, we might draft Brown or Bensen. It would have been smart to sign Jordan and use our draft pick on a QB or LB or some other hole we have. Thats thinking with my head though.

My heart thinks how great it will be if we drafted a hall of famer. Could be something to think about, the year Dan got in, the same year another great Dolphin started his carreer.