What size contract will Lamont Jordan command on the open free agent market? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What size contract will Lamont Jordan command on the open free agent market?

FakeSpike13 said:
hahah some1 said 6 mill dollar signing bonus... thats insane for some1 who's been a backup his whole career
There's alot of teams interested in him, which will drive up his price. I'll tell you what, he'll get a hell of a lot more than a puny $1.5 mill bonus, that's for sure.

LIQUID24 said:
There's alot of teams interested in him, which will drive up his price. I'll tell you what, he'll get a hell of a lot more than a puny $1.5 mill bonus, that's for sure.

There are a lot of teams interested in RBs, but the supply is just as big as the demand... so thats a wash... include the fact that at least 3 will have "starter material" through the draft (Brown, Cadillac, Benson)... and ur point is moot...

Running backs do not get paid an exorbitant amount in the nfl... I tried looking for a player salary link for 2004, but all I could find is 2003 salaries online... anyways you can still get the point from that link on usatoday... Jordan, with the supply of rb's out there, and his experience level will not get more than a 3 mill signing bonus (even that is a pretty high estimate)

FakeSpike13 said:
Jordan, with the supply of rb's out there, and his experience level will not get more than a 3 mill signing bonus (even that is a pretty high estimate)
most of the teams that will be in search of a RB can also address it in the draft, because the draft is as deep with talent as FA is...of course, with FA's you get PROVEN talent, but your point that the bank will not be broken for a RB is spot on

NYinBostonFin said:
Why no Lamont Jordan? I seem to be saying this a lot but,

1)He can't break tackles. Something you need to do esp. behind our line.
2)He only gains yards when there is a huge hole.
3)He's been a backup for a couple of years when, if he was good enough, he should have taken over martins spot this past season.
4)The Jets don't seem too eager to keep him,
a)not even close to splitting carries after he threatened to leave if he didnt see more time.
b)no talks of resigning him, after he stated he wanted to stay with the jets and only the aging martin is still in backfield
5)He isn't going to come cheap. Maybe cheaper than edge and alexander but not by much, and why not have a probowler instead of a proven backup.
6)He isn't much better than what we have now, if at all.

I cant believe I'm agreeing with a bills fan but he isnt worth a damn. Herman edwards would never let him go if he was what you guys make him out to be, ESPECIALLY TO A RIVAL. If you've seen Jets games this past season and preseason you would know what im talking about. Trust me PLEASE NO LAMONT JORDAN.

I think just about everything in this post is dead wrong... Lamont Jordan is a tough inside runner with above-average speed to the outside for his build... It's true he's been blessed with a very good line to run behind, but most good backs have them...PLUS im a Nyfinfan that listens to the sports radio 24-6... and they just had Herm edwards on the Mike and the Mad Dog show yesterday... he said they were INTENT on signing Lamont, and the only way they wouldn't be able to is if the allure to start elsewhere would make him leave (which it probably will)... and the two most fallacious parts of the argument are "if he were good enough he'd be starting" and "he's not much better than what we have right now" :lol: :lol:

1) you act like Curtis Martin is dead wood... he's a sure-fire 1st ballot hall of famer and BTW, who led the league in rushing last year?
2) and if you think Morris or Minor is as good as Jordan, go seek some "homer help".. .Gordon might be very good, but why not have a combo like the Falcons have at rb?

FakeSpike13 said:
It's true he's been blessed with a very good line to run behind, but most good backs have them
I disagree with this assertion, and have stated this in many threads...the Jets have a Pro Bowl Center who brings up the quality of everyone around him...the rest of the guys are really just average to above average players...none you would call good, and certainly they do not approach GREAT...Mawae makes it tick, the rest are just along for the ride

EDIT: I am in the "bring Lamont to Miami Camp" also!

Kareem McKenzie is as you said above-average.... Fabini has been a major part to that line for years (although his play has declined)... and Pete Kendall is awesome... He should have been a pro bowler this year... wen Mawae missed time, he moved inside to center from Guard, showing his versatility....

FakeSpike13 said:
I think just about everything in this post is dead wrong... Lamont Jordan is a tough inside runner with above-average speed to the outside for his build... It's true he's been blessed with a very good line to run behind, but most good backs have them...PLUS im a Nyfinfan that listens to the sports radio 24-6... and they just had Herm edwards on the Mike and the Mad Dog show yesterday... he said they were INTENT on signing Lamont, and the only way they wouldn't be able to is if the allure to start elsewhere would make him leave (which it probably will)... and the two most fallacious parts of the argument are "if he were good enough he'd be starting" and "he's not much better than what we have right now" :lol: :lol:

1) you act like Curtis Martin is dead wood... he's a sure-fire 1st ballot hall of famer and BTW, who led the league in rushing last year?
2) and if you think Morris or Minor is as good as Jordan, go seek some "homer help".. .Gordon might be very good, but why not have a combo like the Falcons have at rb?
If my statement is wrong prove it.
If you did watch any jets games you would know he went down after the first hit most of the time. And only gained decent yardage when the hole was huge. If he was the back you make him sound like he would AT LEAST split carries with curtis. NOT come in when Martin needs a breather.
You could say the same arguement for gordan who we have and unfortunately got injured before a chance happened. Minor sucks i agree but Jordan isnt much better than what we have (Gordan, Morris)and not worht anything he will cost. I dont need homer help i would just rather pay for somebody worth it or draft. Why would we want somebody's leftovers that they ARE WILLING TO LET GO. TO Im sure if they make an offer, he said he wants to stay he will.I didnt hear the interview but if what herman edwards says is true .....thank god we arent going to get him. but that is the first ive heard about them keeping him. Who in atlanta do you think Gordan would be like?
Again if he was an amazing inside runner.....with blazing speed to break tackles....they wouldnt think of letting him come to us.
Curtis martin is a hof but he is on a run orientated team. Are you Telling me you would rather have curtis on your team than LT? Alexander?
You say everything in my statement is wrong, then back nothing up and then me what he herman said on Mike and the Maddog?
Please.....oh wait i forgot to make my point w/ smileys:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NYinBostonFin said:
If you did watch any jets games you would know he went down after the first hit most of the time. And only gained decent yardage when the hole was huge.
He averaged 5.2 yards per carry. How could he average 5.2 yards per carry and go down after the first hit most of the time? Even if that was a fact, he still managed to have some pretty decent runs for a guy who you view as nothing more than Curtis' waterboy.

NYinBostonFin said:
If he was the back you make him sound like he would AT LEAST split carries with curtis. NOT come in when Martin needs a breather.
I have said it before and I will say it again, Curtis Martin is not the washed up old man that many here view him as. He has rushed for 1000+ yards in EVERY year of his career and led the league in rushing this year. The reason Jordan can't get into the lineup is because he is playing behind a first ballot HOFer with plenty left in the tank.

I am not saying martin is washed up. I am not one of those people......
However you cant tell me he would not and should not have gotten more time if he was the back you say. Even when martin was banged up in the middle of the season they still gave him the load.Why? B/c Jordan can not be a #1. We can do better is the big picture im trying to say.
The holes he got were HUGE. Especially b/c teams werent expecting the run b/c curtis wasnt in. Did you see him short distance this year at all? Horrible b/c they knew he was coming.
I'd rather not overpay for a #2 RB. And don't give me well curtis is leading rb....
Larry johnson may split carries w/ priest holmes,at least that was what was reported.
And priest vs martin is laughable.
But it does prove my point, if the kid shows his worth he gets the chance. Lamont hasnt.

i also think jordan is our most logical move he would be cheaper than ,ost FA backs and has a huge amount of potential, also an O-lineman(let houck be the judge of who) this allows us to fill other positions through the draft, we can draft a very very solid player in the position where we would drop on benson/brown/williams

I wasn't at first, but I'm now cool with taking a RB at #2. There's still an outside chance we make an offer to Davenport though.

Back
Top Bottom