What the Alex Smith Deal Means for Miami... | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What the Alex Smith Deal Means for Miami...

If we sign Cousins that means Tannehill is out, did you see the contract that the Redskins gave Smith? That means Cousins wanted significantly more, he probably wants around the same contract that we gave Tannehill a few years back so there's no way we'd be able to keep both.

It's not unpossible to reinjure a ligament. You do not perform these surgeries as Dr. Andrews does, and you are not privvy to the MRI's as Ryan Tannehill is so your opinion seems irrelevant to me.

No but I've had 3 knee surgeries, I work with stem cells in my every day job, I am a former NCAA athlete and a former semi-professional mma fighter I've done loads of research in the area. I've been around numerous acl injuries I've consulted with numerous doctors, I've consulted WITH Dr. Andrews as he was the official surgeon for the University of Alabama track and field team of which I was a member. What's your experience?

Ps: wtf is unpossible?

giphy.gif

Okay. Fine. Let's get deeper into this.

1) Ryan Tannehill's ACL was never "fixed." So that part of your analogy is flawed.

In late 2016, Ryan Tannehill had a Grade 2 sprain of his ACL. This is a partial tear. The tear itself does not heal, so it cannot be "fixed" without surgery. If you would like to use your friend Google and research "treatment for Grade 2 ACL sprain," you'll note that Grade 2 sprains are tricky. Sometimes the treatment chosen is rehab and bracing to strengthen the weakened knee. Sometimes it's surgery. The reference you keep bringing up here, Dr. James Andrews, is one of the people who recommended that the non-surgical route would be sufficient. Everyone who recommended that and thought it would be fine...was wrong.

2) Your analogy suggests that there were two completely separate tears to Ryan Tannehill's knee. Please point out any medical report from Dr. James Andrews, Dr. Seuss, or Zippy The Wonder Horse where there were two separate tears in Ryan Tannehill's knee. So that part of your analogy...is also flawed.

What occurred is that in August, after rehab and bracing, the knee gave way. If one wanted to get all snooty, one could point out that the ACL still never completely tore. But that would be silly. The point is that it was now evident that he couldn't get by with bracing and rehabbing. So it was obvious that surgery was necessary to repair it.

If you want to argue the semantics of whether "re-injuring" the exact same tear in his ACL that was never repaired in the first place counts as two separate injuries, you're picking at minutia. It doesn't make him any more injury prone. If anything, it now makes him less injury prone than before he had the surgery.

If anything the sign of continued joint instability of the conservatively managed knee proves that the initial recommended management(as advised by Dr. James Andrews) of rehab plus a stem cell ****tail did not promote healing in the damaged ligament. -I will add that this course of action is not proven to work and data is at best inconclusive on the topic-
Without access to the MRI reports or disks we are all speculating. And it appears that the FO made a conscious effort to stifle any further discussion on the knee.
It is possible that a knee that was not inherently stable could have torqued during the "second" injury as it would be prone to do causing further damage to the ligament.

[QUOTE="The Goat, post: 7563066, member: 1512"

"When there is a complete rupture and the ligament is not functioning, the best treatment consists of surgery, including the reconstruction of a new ligament. If the patient has only experienced a partial tear, and the knee is not unstable, physical therapy and non-operative measures can often be effective."

He had stem cell treatments and rehab. Everyone familiar with the injury said it was healed 100%. I understand your disregard for their opinions because the knee was injured for a second time in the same ligament. It is quite possible that the strands that were completely torn and required surgery were different than the strands of ligament that was healed from his previous injury. If you want to continue this debate I would suggest PM so we can allow the Cousin's discussion to continue without distraction. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Let's just agree to disagree

Why is Kirk Cousins a loser and overrated and Ryan Tannehill not? Enlighten me.

Is Tannehill more accurate? Does he have more arm talent? Is he better on 3rd down?

None of the tangible data reflect such. *shrugs*. But Cousins is a loser, and Tannehill is the second coming whom we should not be looking to replace at all (at least that's the world on here). Very very interesting.

Tannehill is a more talented QB compared to Cousins, similar to Alex Smith, which is why they were drafted in the top 10 and Cousins went in the 4th.

Cousins also has a huge ego imo and in general has a much more abrasive personality compared to Tannehill, which is why the Redskins are smart to finally move on and Tannehill remains on a team friendly deal on the team that drafted him.

Cousins puts up great stats (check-down charlie), but struggles in big games, especially against quality opponents because in truth he is not that good, and that comes to light against quality competition. His record against teams with winning records is garbage.

Tannehill, on top of being more physically talented than Cousins, is also smarter than him academically and football wise. That's why in week 1 a few years ago Tannehill beat Cousins head to head, Cousins threw 2 picks, Tannehill threw none (I HATE turnovers).

Cousins has gotten better with the picks, but he still throws incredibly stupid game changing picks that Tannehill does not as seen at the 5:35 mark here:

It's not unpossible to reinjure a ligament. You do not perform these surgeries as Dr. Andrews does, and you are not privvy to the MRI's as Ryan Tannehill is so your opinion seems irrelevant to me.

If you are going to try and make this point, I don't understand why you're not pointing out that Tannehill as seen limping at some point in high school and once skinned his knee as a toddler.....

The Redskins played a CONSIDERABLY harder schedule. The collective win percentage of the Dolphins wins in 2016 with Tannehill was beyond terrible. And let's cool out on the arbitrary benchmarks. "Most accurate deep passer" "Best QBR with a clean pocket" LOL
too ****ing funny, there are always excuses, extenuating circumstances and arbitrary emphasis on importance when it comes to everyone else but Tannehill.

And those so-called "arbitrary benchmarks" are not so arbitrary when it comes to giving Tannehill at least a decent and durable OL to let him do his thing.

Thought wins were a team stat. But use it when you can to support your case.

Accurate deep passing means nothing without results. The defense doesn't change their plan against you because you were accurate. They change because you burned them for TD's. Until the accuracy turns into big results the 8 man boxes will continue.
thought results were a team stat.. LOLOL

I am not trying to pick on you, but this information that you found would be wrong.
From what I gathered, there is new research that claims it's a 60/40 proposition... So. What I couldnt find is any sort of sample size or research details. But. Lets go with 60/40. If you go down with a ACL injury in november, attempt to be in the 60% crowd, go back out playing football in august the following year and rip the SAME ACL while doing so. What do you think is more plausible?
A) You were part of the 40% that didnt work out
B) Your ACL was completely healed and you happen to be the most unluckiest SOB to injure the same ****ing completely healed ACL in a span of 8 months

BTW, Adam Gase said word for word it was (A)

I am not trying to pick on you, but this information that you found would be wrong.
To be honest I don't know either way, I just looked up out of curiosity and here's the whole article.
Torn ACL May Heal Without Surgery

By Trying Knee Rehab First, Many May Avoid ACL Surgery

By Daniel J. DeNoon
This article is from the WebMD News Archive
This content has not been reviewed within the past year and may not represent WebMD's most up-to-date information.

To find the most current information, please enter your topic of interest into our search box.

FROM THE WEBMD ARCHIVES
Many patients with a torn ACL -- the ligament that stabilizes the knee -- may avoid surgery by delaying the operation and first giving physical therapy a try.

One of the most feared sports and work injuries is a torn anterior cruciate ligament or ACL. It's the tough piece of tissue that keeps the knee from bending sideways when you plant your foot and pivot.

Nobody is exactly sure of the best way to treat a torn ACL. Yet every year, at least 200,000 Americans undergo ACL reconstruction, in which the ACL is restored with tendon grafts. Most patients undergo this surgery soon after their injury.
I didn't read any other articles this was just the first one.

It's weird, it feels like the Redskins and Alex Smith both worsened their situations at the same time, that's hard to do.

Back
Top Bottom