What went wrong: Lamar Miller

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fakespike, Apr 18, 2014.

1. fakespike

fakespike Starter

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46935/352/what-went-wrong-lamar-miller

Sounds about right. In Lazor's offense and with a competent line, we could be in store for big things from Miller & Moreno.

On Film

Miller has never been known as the world’s most-physical runner. He is not a player who moves piles with impressive leg drive, or stiff arms linebackers to tack on extra yards. Knowing this, I expected it to be one of the main takeaways from his film. Instead, I found a back who ran better than his statistics or workload would indicate, one severely let down by his line and coaching staff.

Miller is still more lightning than thunder. True to his reputation, he rarely, if ever, emerged from dogpiles with extra yards. Fighting through scrums is not his strong suit, and never will be. Miller can be felled by arm tackles, and occasionally gets ragdolled like Chris Johnson. He doesn’t always make the right cuts.

But Miller is not only fast, but quick. His acceleration jumps off the screen. Miller isn’t quite a CJ2K-esque blur, but he’s undoubtedly one of the swiftest running backs in the league. When Miller finds his lane, he’s almost always good for 5-6 yards. He gets what’s blocked, even if he’s operating with a hole the size of Tavon Austin. Miller is not immune to making the wrong read, but he gives away much fewer runs than the numbers would lead you to believe.

The problem is that, like his coaching, his blocking was as bad as advertised last season. Again, Miller is not a player who’s going to take on two tacklers and escape with extra yards. This stood out in 2013 because Miller received almost no second-level blocks. It was one cut, one block, one tackle. On the few occasions Miller’s blockers did manage to occupy a linebacker or defensive back, he usually gained 15-20 yards.

This was most pronounced on Miami’s outside-zone runs, or the rare instances Miller had the nerve to bounce wide on his own. Miller’s skill-set is tailor made for getting to the perimeter and upfield for monster gains. If only his line couldever set the edge. Whenever he was sent outside, Miller was a home run with a Green Monster in front of him. Almost without fail, Miller would be swallowed up whole before he could even think about cutting upfield. It wasn’t a matter of hesitance (Trent Richardson) or a lack of burst (Ray Rice). It was Miller’s offensive line working like a strainer. When you have a space back you can never spring into space, you have a running back who’s not ripping off as many long gains as you’d like.

There were other issues. Miller remains a work in progress as a pass protector, and has surprisingly stiff hands. He is neither the strongest nor smartest back. But the faults that defined his 2013 were the ones that were out of his control.

2. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Lamar is still a very high potential guy. We needed an experienced RB for hard yards last year and we didn't have him. The addition of Knowshon Moreno should significantly help the team. Miller could be dangerous when he comes in.
    Don't write him off. This is a good challenge and he might come out of it very hungry.

3. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

I'm not sure Millers is a #1RB or even a #2RB even with a decent OL and balanced playcalling. I suspect he's currently #2 on the depth chart behind Moreno, and if we spend a mid-round draft pick on a RB, I'm not sure where that leaves Miller....#3RB?

4. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

I believe the combo of Moreno and Miller will be better than Thomas and Miller. It's been time to release Thomas, barring and injuries during preseason. I would use a low draft choice for another RB, unless we get an opportunity for a "real" steal earlier in the draft. I can only hope that our o-line will be better than last year and that has got to help with the running game. If the running game works better, than Tannehill will have more success with the play action. It has got to start up front before our offense makes that next step.

5. MartinTheSNAKE

MartinTheSNAKE Seasoned Veteran Donator

Offensive line.

/thread

I bet he has a bounce back year this year.

6. stephins87

stephins87 Well-Known Member

I wondered where the hype went, but then I remembered that was one of the worst lines we've ever seen. No more of that, hopefully.

7. CaSh

CaSh Nothing bigga than the B

i refuse to judge him after only 2 seasons. he has shown the ability to have some big runs. i think john jerry and jon martin were just absolutely horrible at most aspects of their job. mckinnie sure wasn't a great run blocker by any means. clabo is not known as a run blocker, more of a pass blocker. Miller is going to be very good one day, one day soon, and I hope its here in Miami because if not he will surely come back and torch us on any team with a good o line. Thats not to say I dont believe we are building a good line to open up the running game and also protect 17, i think hickey is doing well so far.

8. Chubby

Chubby SUPERFAN

OL, Horribble play calling/coaching

9. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

Our o line still stinks IMO. Yeah we got Brandon Albert but I don't feel like Shelly Smith was that great of a signing. Jason Fox is a backup and nothing more with his injury history. I'm a little surprised we didn't bolster the line with another prpven veteran starter or two.

10. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

As much bad rep that the offensive line received last season for giving up a franchise record 58 sacks in just 16 games, they were even worse in holding up blocks for Lamar and Co. That really says a lot, their run protection was excruciatingly horrific last season. The jury is still out on Lamar. With the same offensive line as 2013, Lamar could go out the way David Carr did, lots of pro potential that was all wasted behind historically bad offensive lines. I'm hoping he will take advantage of a RB2 role in Lazor's reportedly run heavy offense behind Moreno, and an upgraded offensive line.

11. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Miller is better than Moreno. I don't see any scenario that he isn't our #1

12. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

I'd be willing to bet that Moreno rolls into the season opener as the starter.

13. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

Blocking. Unless Miller learned something this offseason.

14. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

This is a good point. Our philosophy on offense is to take what the defense gives us and Miller doesn't get as many carries as he would like because our passing game doesn't have enough success vs stacked boxes, which is partially due to Millers own ****ty pass protection. We pass to set up the run so if you're thinking about drafting a Miami RB for fantasy your first question should be how effective do you think our passing game will be. The more effective our passing game is the more effective our running game will be.

15. Chubby

Chubby SUPERFAN

Moreno is the more complete back... Miller is a liability also in pass coverage which this regime deems important.

16. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

I've followed Lamar since Miami Killian. Kid has always gone down on first contact far too often.

17. Phins117

Phins117 A True Fan

The line can't block everyone... He needs to get stronger. Getting tripped up and brought down by an arm of a falling DT is not the greatest thing for an NFL caliber RB to be brought down by. IMP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Digital

Digital Starter

I'm not the biggest Lamar Miller fan, but I do like the kid. He is a scat back, pure and simple.

Last season he actually performed well. It WAS the OL that held him back, just like it was for Reggio Bush. I have a lot of faith in Benton to make this new OL much better than the one we had last year. Albert isn't a good run blocker, but he is much better than anyone we had at LT last year even at run blocking. On the downs that Shelley Smith plays, he is an excellent run blocker, but he he does broadcast run play when he is on the field. Pouncey should be playing with a chip on his shoulder. I don't know how good our run blocking will be, but it should be improved.

The issue facing Lamar Miller is passing sets. In Lazor's offense the RB is required to pass protect and catch screen passes and short passes all over the field. Neither of these things are currently strengths of Miller, and look tailor made for Moreno. I will b surprised if Miller gets more snaps than Moreno.

What Miller needs to do this offseason is work on pass protection, pass catching, and once the camps srart, route running. If he can become good at these things, he can win the starting spot.

I expect us to draft a RB in round 3 or 4, with guys like Bishop Sankey, Lache Seastrunk and some small school prospects being the most likely target. Hickey will be looking for his next Doug Martin or Ray Rice type guy. Lazor would prefer the next Thurman Thomas or Marshall Faulk. I think we will draft something in between stylistically, but probably not hall of fame caliber ... that would be extremely lucky.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

19. phinfan1983

phinfan1983 Well-Known Member

With the predictable offense and bad OL play, I don't think we know what any RB can do on Miami. Hopefully, the new OC mixes it up much better - thus giving the OL a chance to set up for plays. If that happens, then, we can see what we have.

20. whizafriz

whizafriz A True Fan

My dad has always said, like a broken record, if you give Lamar Miller a hole, he's going to break for a big gain. And he does, he's extremely quick on that first burst off the block. The problem is, that hole is hardly there.

Really interested in seeing how things play out. We could have a seriously threatening running game if holes can be made.

21. dolfin530

dolfin530 Student of the Game

It's like Tannehill. A handful of sacks were on him but mostly the oline. Same as Miller, some poor runs but mostly the oline.

22. truedolfan57

truedolfan57 A True Fan

some people think he's the "lightning" to the "thunder". if he was that quick, i'd like to see him make a play for himself, whether there's a hole or not. Just make something happen. Don't think i've ever seen Miller make a play, when there's no hole. If you are saying you need a hole so big, you can back a truck up into it, then he's really worthless.

23. QFFL

QFFL Active Member

The article's author must be drunk or put the wrong name in the article. Lamar Miller is an average talent, not sure where the lightning or thunder comes from. He got his chance, he showed what he's capable of, let's move on.

24. So Be

So Be A True Fan

IMO, nothing went wrong with Miller, other than not having anyone who could run block worth a damn on the entire team. Cog was the only one who got an above average grade of +1.2 which is nothing. Everyone else sucked, including TE's and Pouncey. I focus on the "Big Uglies" and have never seen a worse run blocking team in Miami.

I was surprised at how well he did, as well as DT with this disaster blocking in front of them. Anyone who thinks Moreno would have done better is kidding themselves. I fully expect him to be better than Moreno this year.

However, I do not yet see answers on the OL in run blocking. Albert is below average, and Miller should buy Shelly dinner every day of camp, as he is a Beast in run block, and will be a huge help IF he can become average in pass protect.

Last year, Miller and DT had nowhere to run, and it's silly to judge him on that. JMO

25. Sarnics13

Obviously anyone can see that Moreno has the edge in blocking, but in pure carrying the rock it's not really even close. Speed, elusiveness, quickness......no competition.

26. truedolfan57

truedolfan57 A True Fan

nowhere to go, but still managed 4.0 yards a carry? seems to me, they just didn't run enough. But just by watching miller, he's nothing special. Maybe by having a RB that can compete with Miller, will help him get better. Because we all know thomas didn't push miller at all.

27. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I don't see the difference in pass protect either. Moreno gave up the same pressure as Miller in 2/3rds of pass block plays. Moreno cannot break big plays but, was VG with Peyton in being steady, and nothing great.

28. So Be

So Be A True Fan

If you keep running into a brick wall, the only thing that makes it feel better is when you stop. I disagree, and think Miller has Bush like skills in running the ball. We shall see.

29. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Yeah, he "had his chance" as a rookie with only 51 total snaps (in which he averaged 5.0 YPC), and went in 2013 with a historically atrocious offensive line, and still managed to average 4.3 YPC (above average among all lead backs with 300 + snaps). I'm not saying he is going to be Miami's undisputed feature back for the next decade, but the jury is far from being closed on Lamar. If anything, all he's been is wasted potential, anyone manning the RB position in Miami was set up to fail in 2013. He deserves a chance behind Moreno to play behind an upgraded offensive line this upcoming season.

30. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I'm not buying all the adjustments. We averaged 4.1 yards per carry, which is the same we surrendered even though everyone bemoaned how awful the run defense performed. The running game was fine in many games other than we stupidly abandoned it. Rushing attempts cleanse the entire offense. Our pass protection would have improved if we'd simply run the ball a sufficient number of times.

As another Canes fan posted, Miller is the same guy dating to Killian. The mistake was believing he could do it on his own. He's a complimentary back or someone to split carries evenly. If you ask him to carry the load all of his weaknesses show up.

It was somewhat amusing last offseason when all the Reggie Bush haters wanted to pretend Miller would be equally effective in short yardage and stressed situations as he was as a rookie carrying the ball on first and ten in change up mode. My only surprise was how poorly Miller performed in the handful of occasions he burst into open field. That was money as a Cane. Last season he seemingly got nervous and made too many decisions, along with tightening up. I think that will improve markedly in 2014.

31. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Last year, Moreno ran 283 times and had long runs of 31, and 2 for 25. This was with Peyton clearing the way of defenders, and a better OL. The year before, he ran 148 times and had long runs of 1 for 20.

Last year. Miller ran 177 times and had long runs of 49, 41. and 30. This was with RT and the worst run block team in Miami's history. The year before, he ran 51 times and had long runs of 28. 22, and 19. this was with a rookie QB, very limited WR's, and 8 or 9 in the box.

Who did better?

32. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

When you include ALL of the stats, not just longest runs, Moreno is better by far.

And this whole idea that Peyton Manning cleared the way for Moreno is proof that people didn't watch many Denver games last year. Moreno was often running the ball against 11 in the box when Denver was up 63-0 in the first half.

33. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Most of the games Denver played last season were relatively tight in the 1st half, even with the Jaguars.

34. NRA

NRA Roll Gypsy Roll

nothing new.

tat was the knock on him coming out of college. his ONLY "talent" is having a gaping hole in front of him and running real fast through it.

i dont care what this 0-line looks like this year, those massive collegiate holes he had dont happen very often in the nfl. even with good lines!

we'll see. maybe lazor has some role for him in a philly type play or two using his speed, but, i musts say, i read all about the big time speed the guy had coming in to the draft but he is one of those players that doesnt look fast playing. i expected much more. maybe its his lack of moves that causes him to look slower.

obviously, i am no big fan of millers. i didnt like the pic at all when it was made and still dont. our line was bad, no doubt there, but the REAL DEAL rb's dont need a great line in front of them.

and who knows if he will even be here after camp. a draft pic or college f/a could come in and blow him up. all the miller praise could just be keeping the riot down and not getting in to any player moves before the draft. not alienating the player showing they may not be keeping him.

NO ONE knows what a bill lazor offense in the nfl will be so knowing what kind of rb he and philbin want is yet to be determined.

35. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

For only being fast and having no moves he didnt look too bad to me...
    longer runs than a lot of NFL RB's.
    only 7 games where he had more than 10 carries...
    avg over 4 in 9 of the games..
    runs of at least 10 yards in 8 of the games..
    also only 1 fumble

36. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Wasn't it the 49 yarder that he fumbled and turned it over just a few yards from the end zone? It seems silly to count that as a positive for him imo.

37. Sarnics13

All of what stats?

and with all due respect, having Manning behind center with what he was doing last season ABSOLUTELY opens the running game up for anyone. I'm not calling Moreno garbage, but he was severely assisted by the passing threat regardless of how many were in the box......they never stayed there. You can't seriously think teams were playing the run with Thomas, Decker, Welker, and Thomas (Julius) putting up over 300 yds a game. I think he's solid but signing Moreno did not really bolster our running game.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Yeah but he still broke off a 50 yd run. The point I think was just his ability to get that accomplished.

Holding on to the ball is a separate issue. However even that doesn't seem to be a problem for him.

38. crashfan

crashfan Super Donator Super Donator Donator

I think the difference maker we picked up for the oline problems is oline coach Beaton. I can't wait to see what he gets accomplished to improve the run game and pass protection aspects.

39. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

simple reason - he just isnt a good player. All he iffers is pace. He is a Change of pace back behind a clear number one and thats all he will ever be.

40. cullenbigcstill

cullenbigcstill FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I cannot agree that last years OL as bad as they were was the worst run blocking unit in Miami's history. The 80's and 90's had some atrocious run blockers, of course they were awesome in pass protection but dam they couldn't drive off the ball and get any push in the run game for ****!

Miller and Moreno should be a solid tandem. I love Millers ability to explode and surely hope he improves his open field vision because he should've had a few more TDs last year that he ****d up and got tackled before the score and once he coughed it up vs the Bungles. Moreno is a gritty back who should be effective in between the tackles, in pass protection and in the receiving game as well.