What went wrong: Lamar Miller | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What went wrong: Lamar Miller

I'm trying to understand Moreno over Miller as a receiver. Miller was targeted 30 times (27 catch-able), caught 26, and dropped one. Moreno was targeted 72 times (65 catch-able), caught 60, and dropped 5, which is a lot on all short passes.

The only thing I was disappointed in Miller last year was his play in the passing game. I really do not know what you guys expected from with the OL we had. I put the entire blame on the OL.

The only thing I was disappointed in Miller last year was his play in the passing game. I really do not know what you guys expected from with the OL we had. I put the entire blame on the OL.

What disappointed you on Miller in the passing game?

I don't have stats to prove this statement but I seem to remember that Miller had several costly drops that were either drive killers or TD killers early in the year. He seemed to have stiff hands, and a few passes were catchable if his route running was better. Again that's off empty and no stats. I like him and I think he blossoms with another back to take pressure off him. Love his speed to the edge and he played a bit tougher at the end of the year actually fighting for yards after contact. That's what he needs to do forward, fight for yards through contact.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Dam phone. Not of empty but off memory, lol!

Miller can be dynamic in the open field but breaking tackles he's not... I'm tired of these scat back dancing RB's.. I want a Czonka/R. Williams back in the line up..

I don't have stats to prove this statement but I seem to remember that Miller had several costly drops that were either drive killers or TD killers early in the year. He seemed to have stiff hands, and a few passes were catchable if his route running was better. Again that's off empty and no stats. I like him and I think he blossoms with another back to take pressure off him. Love his speed to the edge and he played a bit tougher at the end of the year actually fighting for yards after contact. That's what he needs to do forward, fight for yards through contact.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Dam phone. Not of empty but off memory, lol!

Not true, Miller had one drop, and one fumble all season long. No idea where you came up with several.

Very optimistic article.

The thing is, when you pick talented players out of the draft, who appeal to you for one or two things, but aren't dominating players, aren't well-rounded players, aren't the smartest or biggest, then you have to plug and play into an ALREADY functioning offense. You can have a winning offense and plug in guys who give you an added dimension. We weren't that offense last year, and couldn't take advantage of Miller's actual strengths.

But they're right to also question Miller, himself, the player. Yes, coaching was horrible and O line was horrible. But you know, every offensive line in the NFL wants to "set the edge" and every running back wants second level blocks and open space. But there's that pesky problem of a defense on the other side of the ball. It's your job as an offense to impose your will on the defense, and that's the responsibility of every player, not just offensive linemen.

We can fix the O line. Will it change these statements? They're not mine, they're pasted right out of the article:

• Miller couldn’t separate from Thomas in camp.
  • He is not a player who moves piles with impressive leg drive, or stiff arms linebackers to tack on extra yards.
  • Miller is still more lightning than thunder.
  • Miller can be felled by arm tackles.
  • Miller is not immune to making the wrong read.
  • Miller remains a work in progress as a pass protector.
  • Miller has surprisingly stiff hands.
  • He is neither the strongest nor smartest back.

So those are the questions with Miller, and we'll see how he has developed after another year. He may in fact be a slow learner who might benefit from that year, or another. I watched his biography on TV, and you can see that he's a high character guy but lacking some things upstairs.

Back
Top Bottom