What went wrong: Lamar Miller | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What went wrong: Lamar Miller

Last year, Moreno ran 283 times and had long runs of 31, and 2 for 25. This was with Peyton clearing the way of defenders, and a better OL. The year before, he ran 148 times and had long runs of 1 for 20.

Last year. Miller ran 177 times and had long runs of 49, 41. and 30. This was with RT and the worst run block team in Miami's history. The year before, he ran 51 times and had long runs of 28. 22, and 19. this was with a rookie QB, very limited WR's, and 8 or 9 in the box.

Who did better?

Who did better?

When you include ALL of the stats, not just longest runs, Moreno is better by far.

And this whole idea that Peyton Manning cleared the way for Moreno is proof that people didn't watch many Denver games last year. Moreno was often running the ball against 11 in the box when Denver was up 63-0 in the first half.

When you include ALL of the stats, not just longest runs, Moreno is better by far.

And this whole idea that Peyton Manning cleared the way for Moreno is proof that people didn't watch many Denver games last year. Moreno was often running the ball against 11 in the box when Denver was up 63-0 in the first half.

Most of the games Denver played last season were relatively tight in the 1st half, even with the Jaguars.

nothing new.

tat was the knock on him coming out of college. his ONLY "talent" is having a gaping hole in front of him and running real fast through it.

i dont care what this 0-line looks like this year, those massive collegiate holes he had dont happen very often in the nfl. even with good lines!

we'll see. maybe lazor has some role for him in a philly type play or two using his speed, but, i musts say, i read all about the big time speed the guy had coming in to the draft but he is one of those players that doesnt look fast playing. i expected much more. maybe its his lack of moves that causes him to look slower.

obviously, i am no big fan of millers. i didnt like the pic at all when it was made and still dont. our line was bad, no doubt there, but the REAL DEAL rb's dont need a great line in front of them.

and who knows if he will even be here after camp. a draft pic or college f/a could come in and blow him up. all the miller praise could just be keeping the riot down and not getting in to any player moves before the draft. not alienating the player showing they may not be keeping him.

NO ONE knows what a bill lazor offense in the nfl will be so knowing what kind of rb he and philbin want is yet to be determined.

For only being fast and having no moves he didnt look too bad to me...
longer runs than a lot of NFL RB's.
only 7 games where he had more than 10 carries...
avg over 4 in 9 of the games..
runs of at least 10 yards in 8 of the games..
also only 1 fumble

Last year, Moreno ran 283 times and had long runs of 31, and 2 for 25. This was with Peyton clearing the way of defenders, and a better OL. The year before, he ran 148 times and had long runs of 1 for 20.

Last year. Miller ran 177 times and had long runs of 49, 41. and 30. This was with RT and the worst run block team in Miami's history. The year before, he ran 51 times and had long runs of 28. 22, and 19. this was with a rookie QB, very limited WR's, and 8 or 9 in the box.

Who did better?

Wasn't it the 49 yarder that he fumbled and turned it over just a few yards from the end zone? It seems silly to count that as a positive for him imo.

All of what stats?

and with all due respect, having Manning behind center with what he was doing last season ABSOLUTELY opens the running game up for anyone. I'm not calling Moreno garbage, but he was severely assisted by the passing threat regardless of how many were in the box......they never stayed there. You can't seriously think teams were playing the run with Thomas, Decker, Welker, and Thomas (Julius) putting up over 300 yds a game. I think he's solid but signing Moreno did not really bolster our running game.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Wasn't it the 49 yarder that he fumbled and turned it over just a few yards from the end zone? It seems silly to count that as a positive for him imo.

Yeah but he still broke off a 50 yd run. The point I think was just his ability to get that accomplished.

Holding on to the ball is a separate issue. However even that doesn't seem to be a problem for him.

I think the difference maker we picked up for the oline problems is oline coach Beaton. I can't wait to see what he gets accomplished to improve the run game and pass protection aspects.

simple reason - he just isnt a good player. All he iffers is pace. He is a Change of pace back behind a clear number one and thats all he will ever be.

I cannot agree that last years OL as bad as they were was the worst run blocking unit in Miami's history. The 80's and 90's had some atrocious run blockers, of course they were awesome in pass protection but dam they couldn't drive off the ball and get any push in the run game for ****!

Miller and Moreno should be a solid tandem. I love Millers ability to explode and surely hope he improves his open field vision because he should've had a few more TDs last year that he ****d up and got tackled before the score and once he coughed it up vs the Bungles. Moreno is a gritty back who should be effective in between the tackles, in pass protection and in the receiving game as well.

Hey Pouncey was only off by 800 yards last year from his prediction. I remember being called negative because I did not think that Miller was capable of rushing for the second most yards in Dolphin history lol

I agree that Miller is more of a scat back due to his quickness and flat out speed, but if that is the case, why isn't he returning kickoffs or punts? Seems that would be more of a match for his talents, no?

I agree that Miller is more of a scat back due to his quickness and flat out speed, but if that is the case, why isn't he returning kickoffs or punts? Seems that would be more of a match for his talents, no?

Not good catching the ball

He has to become a better receiver. He can get open on wheel routes but he doesn't locate the ball. Combine that with the fact that he isn't a tough runner and a porous ol and you have struggles.... Of course... I think Da U homer ism came out in some aspects

I'm not the biggest Lamar Miller fan, but I do like the kid. He is a scat back, pure and simple.

Last season he actually performed well. It WAS the OL that held him back, just like it was for Reggio Bush. I have a lot of faith in Benton to make this new OL much better than the one we had last year. Albert isn't a good run blocker, but he is much better than anyone we had at LT last year even at run blocking. On the downs that Shelley Smith plays, he is an excellent run blocker, but he he does broadcast run play when he is on the field. Pouncey should be playing with a chip on his shoulder. I don't know how good our run blocking will be, but it should be improved.

The issue facing Lamar Miller is passing sets. In Lazor's offense the RB is required to pass protect and catch screen passes and short passes all over the field. Neither of these things are currently strengths of Miller, and look tailor made for Moreno. I will b surprised if Miller gets more snaps than Moreno.

What Miller needs to do this offseason is work on pass protection, pass catching, and once the camps srart, route running. If he can become good at these things, he can win the starting spot.

I expect us to draft a RB in round 3 or 4, with guys like Bishop Sankey, Lache Seastrunk and some small school prospects being the most likely target. Hickey will be looking for his next Doug Martin or Ray Rice type guy. Lazor would prefer the next Thurman Thomas or Marshall Faulk. I think we will draft something in between stylistically, but probably not hall of fame caliber ... that would be extremely lucky.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Miller is more than just a scat back, especially at 5-10 215 lbs. The OP article was dead on imo, and while Miller certainly isn't the most physical runner he has elite level speed and quickness, and that acceleration jumps right out at you. The OL was historically bad, the TEs sans Fasano were lousy blocking TEs who couldn't control the edge, the play calling and game planning were questionable and Miller paid the price for all of that.

Can Miller do better? Sure. He can run harder inside and pass block better, two things that Moreno brings to the table. But imagine Miller running with better Guards, Albert at LT, maybe Kouanjio at RT-and regardless of him slipping down draft boards that dude is a monster who dominates the LOS- and a TE even near the same caliber of Fasano as a blocker and Miller can make a quantum leap next year. The talent is there, and I said before he was drafted that he has some of the best, quickest feet I've ever seen in a RB and I stand by that statement today. He's not a physical runner but he's a very, very talented back who needs a solid OL and a solid blocking TE to set him free. Fix those problems and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom