Which AFC East Team Wins The SB Next... And Why? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which AFC East Team Wins The SB Next... And Why?

I think Penny can take the Jets all the way provided he stays healthy. While he is no Peyton Manning (or Brady for that matter...), Penny has the skills to make that team win.

Oddly enough I disagree with this statement. Pennington is the kind of guy that by limiting his mistakes he keeps his team in the game. I guess my issue is more with the word "make". When I think of something like that, I picture what Manning did to us in our game with the Colts last season. He made his team win that game by marching his offense down the field to score everytime is seemed like the momentum had shifted our way.

Manning throws 2 picks but it's ok because he threw 3 td's. Pennington throws 2 picks and we're in serious trouble. It's not that I don't believe the Jets would be capable of winning a SB with CP running the offense, it's just that he's not the kind of QB that can lead your team back from a second half deficit of a couple of scores. Even more so against a quality defense.

If he stays healthy and his arm strength has improved a bit, watch out. Jones should give him some breathing room and with the weapons he has a WR he could turn in to that guy that "makes" his team win games. Here's hoping thats the case.

Oddly enough I disagree with this statement. Pennington is the kind of guy that by limiting his mistakes he keeps his team in the game. I guess my issue is more with the word "make". When I think of something like that, I picture what Manning did to us in our game with the Colts last season. He made his team win that game by marching his offense down the field to score everytime is seemed like the momentum had shifted our way.

Manning throws 2 picks but it's ok because he threw 3 td's. Pennington throws 2 picks and we're in serious trouble. It's not that I don't believe the Jets would be capable of winning a SB with CP running the offense, it's just that he's not the kind of QB that can lead your team back from a second half deficit of a couple of scores. Even more so against a quality defense.

If he stays healthy and his arm strength has improved a bit, watch out. Jones should give him some breathing room and with the weapons he has a WR he could turn in to that guy that "makes" his team win games. Here's hoping thats the case.

In that same game Chad was marching us up and down the field as well, it was easy tos ee the last team with a legit possesssion was going to win that game and Indy won it. Chad also was aQB on a team that beat manning and the Colts 41-0 in the plyoffs, w/ more help around him Chad can definitely win a SB. last year he had no running game and a young OL, this year the OL should be better and we have a running game.

Chad's arm strength is fine, he faded a little toward the end of last year but w/ a full offseason program his arm strength should hold up better. He's never going to be confused w/ a Ryan Leaf/Jeff george type of arm but luckily he has a great mind and is very accurate. If the D keeps improving and the Ol keeps improving Chad can win a SB.

In that same game Chad was marching us up and down the field as well, it was easy tos ee the last team with a legit possesssion was going to win that game and Indy won it. Chad also was aQB on a team that beat manning and the Colts 41-0 in the plyoffs, w/ more help around him Chad can definitely win a SB. last year he had no running game and a young OL, this year the OL should be better and we have a running game.

Chad's arm strength is fine, he faded a little toward the end of last year but w/ a full offseason program his arm strength should hold up better. He's never going to be confused w/ a Ryan Leaf/Jeff george type of arm but luckily he has a great mind and is very accurate. If the D keeps improving and the Ol keeps improving Chad can win a SB.

Chad also had the benefit of some nice returns in that game. Field position was our friend. After what should have been a dagger in the colts hearts (Millers return) Manning brought them right back down to win the game. I certainly can't speak for all Jets fans, but I for one just got the feeling that Manning was going to take that game away from us. I never get that feeling with CP, but thats why Manning is Manning I guess.

As far as Chads accuracy goes I don't think it's what it once was. Even on a lot of the short passes last year guys had to make some pretty good plays on what should have been routine passes. His arm strength was not good last year either. He certainly did have some 30+ yard throws last year that were on the money, but he also had plenty of throws that just seemed to hang out there for way to long. His decision making was also a bit more suspect then it has been in the past. Getting Washington and Coles damn near killed were the first things that came to mind. The Urlacher pick is another that jumps out.

Again I think we can go far with Chad. I'd venture to say that he has as good an arsenal of weapons this season then he has at any point in his career. A lot of his mistake last year were probably a product of nobody respecting our running game. Considering nobody respects the long ball either, he did do fairly well with the deck stacked against him.

2 things I know from my years of watching football-

1) If the Bills get to a Super Bowl, they will lose it.

2) Being a Jets fan means = they will break your heart. I said this to nyjunc before the 2005 season....when everyone thought they were so great in '04 and primed for a Super Bowl run. I couldn't give a reason why they wouldn't succeed, but what happened? 4-12. This year looks like deja vu.

So by default, the Phins (the only other AFC East team to win a Super Bowl as a member of the NFL) will win next.

2 things I know from my years of watching football-

1) If the Bills get to a Super Bowl, they will lose it.

2) Being a Jets fan means = they will break your heart. I said this to nyjunc before the 2005 season....when everyone thought they were so great in '04 and primed for a Super Bowl run. I couldn't give a reason why they wouldn't succeed, but what happened? 4-12. This year looks like deja vu.

3) Since there last SB win, the Dolphins have been the picture of mediocrity. Mediocrity does not win Super Bowls. Not a cheep shot, just a simple truth. They always seem to have a great offense and terrible defense, or vice versa. By the time Cam gets the offense going it could be to late for the D, and the cycle will continue.

3) Since there last SB win, the Dolphins have been the picture of mediocrity. Mediocrity does not win Super Bowls. Not a cheep shot, just a simple truth. They always seem to have a great offense and terrible defense, or vice versa. By the time Cam gets the offense going it could be to late for the D, and the cycle will continue.

YES!! That's why they have the best winning percentage in the NFL since the 1970 merger.....because since 1973 they have been the picture of mediocrity!!! Thanks for clearing that up. :wink: (I'm not even going to mention that they've been in 3 Super Bowls since then.....oops, just did).

YES!! That's why they have the best winning percentage in the NFL since the 1970 merger.....because since 1973 they have been the picture of mediocrity!!! Thanks for clearing that up. :wink: (I'm not even going to mention that they've been in 3 Super Bowls since then.....oops, just did).

Yes, we all know the Dolphins won a couple of Superbowls right after the merger. Can't read this site for more then a day without some Phin fan pointing that out. :rolleyes:

The winning percentage is beautiful too, but what has it gotten you since the last SB win? NOTHING. The Bills have been to more SB's since, and there not in the top 10 winning percentages since the merger.

What that tells me is that the Dolphins have been a great team in the regular season and a poor team in the playoffs. Average it out and you get a mediocre football team since your last SB win.

The winning percentage is beautiful too, but what has it gotten you since the last SB win? NOTHING. The Bills have been to more SB's since, and there not in the top 10 winning percentages since the merger.

What that tells me is that the Dolphins have been a great team in the regular season and a poor team in the playoffs. Average it out and you get a mediocre football team since your last SB win.

ok....let me test your consistency then.....please descride the NY Jets since their SB win?

Also - poor team in the playoffs gets you to 3 Super Bowls?? Again, please use that logic to describe your Jets and their ZERO SB appearences since their SB win.

ok....let me test your consistency then.....please descride the NY Jets since their SB win?

Also - poor team in the playoffs gets you to 3 Super Bowls?? Again, please use that logic to describe your Jets and their ZERO SB appearences since their SB win.

First, I count 2 SB's the Phins have been in since there last win. I'm not a Dolphins lore buff but if you could kindly point out the third I'd appreciate it. 83' , 85' and..

They didn't win either one. The Super Bowl is the Super Bowl, not sure if it's counted as a playoff game, but whether it is or isn't they still didn't seal the deal.

The Jets have been a miserable franchise since there last SB win. One of the laughing stocks of football until Parcells came around and gave the team a bit of credibility. They've have some near misses in the playoffs since then but they they haven't been able to put it together a full season of quality football to get them to where every team wants to be.

Sound about right? It does to me. The Jets have been horrible and the Phins have been mediocre since there last Super Bowl wins.

As far as the question goes, the Jets seem more on track then the Phins do right now. Alternating winning and losing seasons certainly isn't a good thing, but having consecutive losing seasons is worse.

First, I count 2 SB's the Phins have been in since there last win. I'm not a Dolphins lore buff but if you could kindly point out the third I'd appreciate it. 83' , 85' and..

Touche. I was incorrectly placing the third SB loss AFTER the two we won when it was actually in '71...just before the 2 we won. I'm an idiot on this one.

They didn't win either one. The Super Bowl is the Super Bowl, not sure if it's counted as a playoff game, but whether it is or isn't they still didn't seal the deal.

So...in your mind, anyone other than the team that wins the SB each year is just mediocre?? If that's the case than I can stop the argument....the Dolphins and every other team in the league has been mediocre since 1973.

The Jets have been a miserable franchise since there last SB win. One of the laughing stocks of football until Parcells came around and gave the team a bit of credibility. They've have some near misses in the playoffs since then but they they haven't been able to put it together a full season of quality football to get them to where every team wants to be.

I agree with the first part....but even after Parcells came around, they were below mediocre.....going by the standards you are applying to the post 73 Dolphins (the standard based off the actual performance, not the one I sarcasticly refer to above).

Sound about right? It does to me. The Jets have been horrible and the Phins have been mediocre since there last Super Bowl wins.

Again, seems like you have a broader stroke of mediocrity than I do....and if you are including everyone accept maybe the Steelers, Cowboys, 49ers and Broncos as medocre since 73...than I agree that's what the Phin's have been. But if you want to break the teams down evenly into above average, average (mediocre) and below average....the Phins are definately in the above average category.

As far as the question goes, the Jets seem more on track then the Phins do right now. Alternating winning and losing seasons certainly isn't a good thing, but having consecutive losing seasons is worse.

The Jet's seem more on track than the Phins do right now? Sure, I agree with that. But the Phins seemed more on track going into 06 than the Jets, and the Jets seemed more on track than the Dolphins going into 05....etc.

And I couldn't agree more about consecutive losing seasons.....which I am glad to say the Dolphins haven't had since '68-'69!!!! Jets? back-to-back-to-back '94-'96.

Thanks for putting up the argument.....it's helping me get through an otherwise boring work day. :)

Touche. I was incorrectly placing the third SB loss AFTER the two we won when it was actually in '71...just before the 2 we won. I'm an idiot on this one.

Fair enough.

So...in your mind, anyone other than the team that wins the SB each year is just mediocre??

No, not at all. The Phins record is usually somewhere near .500 or above during the regular season. Thats good, obviously. There post season record is 20-19. Throwing out the games pre SB wins, they're 12-17. Not so good. Good > Average > Not so good. Combine the good regular season record with the not so good playoff record and you land right in the middle. Playoffs have to be weighted more for obvious reasons.

I agree with the first part....but even after Parcells came around, they were below mediocre.....going by the standards you are applying to the post 73 Dolphins (the standard based off the actual performance, not the one I sarcasticly refer to above).

The argument was about the Phins being mediocre, not the Jets. I said that Parcells gave the Jets franchise some credibility, and that he did. Since he came and left, the Jets have been a mediocre football team. Good regular season records and a not so good playoff record at 3-5.

Again, seems like you have a broader stroke of mediocrity than I do....and if you are including everyone accept maybe the Steelers, Cowboys, 49ers and Broncos as medocre since 73...than I agree that's what the Phin's have been. But if you want to break the teams down evenly into above average, average (mediocre) and below average....the Phins are definately in the above average category.

Pit, Oakland, San Fran, Dallas, Washington, New England, The Giants, and Denver have all repeated since the Phins last win. A lot of the teams on that list won around the same time the Phins did, and they keep popping up even now. Those franchises get the overall "good" stamp. Again keeping in mind this is post Phins last SB.

The Jet's seem more on track than the Phins do right now? Sure, I agree with that. But the Phins seemed more on track going into 06 than the Jets, and the Jets seemed more on track than the Dolphins going into 05....etc.

Fair enough, although I still think the Jets have the advantage do to the fact that there in there second year of a defensive system that they finally started to grasp towards the end of the season. Homerisitic as it may be, I feel like the Jets are in better shape for the future then the Phins are.

And I couldn't agree more about consecutive losing seasons.....which I am glad to say the Dolphins haven't had since '68-'69!!!! Jets? back-to-back-to-back '94-'96.

Yea I forgot the Phins snuck in that 9-7 under the devil in 05'. Oh, and Rich Kotite. Nuff said.

Thanks for putting up the argument.....it's helping me get through an otherwise boring work day. :)
Anytime.

Chad also had the benefit of some nice returns in that game. Field position was our friend. After what should have been a dagger in the colts hearts (Millers return) Manning brought them right back down to win the game. I certainly can't speak for all Jets fans, but I for one just got the feeling that Manning was going to take that game away from us. I never get that feeling with CP, but thats why Manning is Manning I guess.

Why was miller's return a dagger? he scored w/ over 2 mins left which was plenty of time. I was happy w/ the return at the time but I knew Indy was going to score, I was just hoping we'd have enough time but we didn't. if we had kicked the FG in th 3rd qtr instead of going for it on 4th and G from the 3 then we at least see OT.

Chad had the benefit of ONE big return and it didn't really benefit him b/c if he doesn't score our O was going to score and Manning wouldn't have had time to come back.

Chad played as well as peyton in that game going 17 of 23 for 207 whle manning was 21-30 for 217.

As far as Chads accuracy goes I don't think it's what it once was. Even on a lot of the short passes last year guys had to make some pretty good plays on what should have been routine passes. His arm strength was not good last year either. He certainly did have some 30+ yard throws last year that were on the money, but he also had plenty of throws that just seemed to hang out there for way to long. His decision making was also a bit more suspect then it has been in the past. Getting Washington and Coles damn near killed were the first things that came to mind. The Urlacher pick is another that jumps out.

his arm strength was excellent early in the year but faded as the year went on which was to be expected.

Decision mkaing wise he was in a new system w/ 3 new OL starters, a new starting WR and new RBs. Now he's bee in this system a year, the WRs and OL have experience and the Rbs have been upgraded. as long as he's healthy he's going to have a big year.

Again I think we can go far with Chad. I'd venture to say that he has as good an arsenal of weapons this season then he has at any point in his career. A lot of his mistake last year were probably a product of nobody respecting our running game. Considering nobody respects the long ball either, he did do fairly well with the deck stacked against him.

The fact that we had such a weak ground game yet Chad was still able to lead us to 10 wins was amazing. I expect much better things from him this year.

we won 4 games b/c we played a 4th string QB most of the year, had 1 OL start and end the season in the same position, had a 3rd string RB end the season, lost our best defensive player from '04, lost 2 PB caliber DL, lost our best STsplayer,...

The phins don't break your heart? You guys haven't even been close to an AFC Title Game in in over a decade.

So by default, the Phins (the only other AFC East team to win a Super Bowl as a member of the NFL) will win next.

You seem to forget that it's been almost as long since Miami's last SB.

Win % is great but what is your playoff win %? You haven't been close to an AFC Title Game since 1994. You guys are a team that could always make the playoffs but never threaten. The Jets have threatened andyou guys have been one of the worst teams in the league THIS decade. One of only handful not to have made the postseason since realignment.

You have been to the SB TWICE not 3 times since your last SB win and your last SB app was 23 years ago and as is the Miami playoff tradition you were humiliated in that game.:wink:

The dolphins weren't medioce until about 2002-current. They were usully a GOOD team but never a top team and it's this dea from dolphin fans that the dolphins are a premiere franchise that I have problems w/. Dolphin fans think thy are the Yankees of the NFL, thy think they are up there w/ teams like Dallas and SF and they aren't close. They are one of the better franchises but not one of the elite

They seemed like they'd be better in '06 but that team was not going to be very good last year. You won some late games when you ere out of the playoff race in '05 then acquired an overrated when healthy QB who happened to be damaged goods. You forgot we ucked in '05 b/c of injuries and nothing else, as long as we are healthy we are better at least in the near future.

That's great, we haven't had consecutive non-playoff seasons since '99-'00 while you guys have gone back to back to back to back to back since 2002 in that deparment.

Why was miller's return a dagger? he scored w/ over 2 mins left which was plenty of time. I was happy w/ the return at the time but I knew Indy was going to score, I was just hoping we'd have enough time but we didn't. if we had kicked the FG in th 3rd qtr instead of going for it on 4th and G from the 3 then we at least see OT.

Chad had the benefit o ONE big return and it did't really benefit him b/c if he dosn't scor our O was going to score and Manning wouldn't have had time to come back.

Chad played as well as peyton in that game going 17 of 23 for 207 whle manning was 21-30 for 217.

his arm strength was excellent early in the year but faded as the year went on which was to be expected.

Decision mkaing wise he was in a new system w/ 3 new OL starters, a new starting WR and new RBs. Now he's bee in this system a year, the WRs and OL have experience and the Rbs have been upgraded. as long as he's healthy he's going to have a big year.

The fact that we had such a weak ground game yet Chad was still able to lead us to 10 wins was amazing. I expect much better things from him this year.

we won 4 games b/c we played a 4th string QB most of the year, had 1 OL start and end the season in the same position, had a 3rd string RB end the season, lost our best defensive player from '04, lost 2 PB caliber DL, lost our best STsplayer,...

The pins don't break your heart? You guys haven't even been close to an AFC Title Game in in ovr a decade.

You seem to foget that it's been almost as long since Miami's lst SB.

Win % is great but what is your playoff win %? You haven't been close to an AFC Title Game since 1994. You guys are a team that could always make the playoffs but never threaten. The Jets have threatened andyou guyshave been one of the worst teams in the league THIS decade. One of only handful not to have made the postseason since realignment.

You have been to the playoffs TWICE not 3 times since your last SB win and your last SB app was 23 years ago and as is the Miami playoff tradition you were humiliated in that game.:wink:

The dolphins weren't medioce until about 2002-current. They were usully a GOOD team but never a top team and it's this dea from dolphin fans that the dolphins are a premiere franchise that I have problems w/. Dolphin fans think thy are the Yankees of the NFL, thy think they are up there w/ teams like Dallas and SF and they aren't close. They are one of the better franchises but not one of the elite

They seemed like they'd be better in '06 but that team was not going to be very good last year. You won some late games when you ere out of the playoff race in '05 then acquired an overrated when healthy QB who happened to be damaged goods. You forgot we ucked in '05 b/c of injuries and nothing else, as long as we are healthy we are better at least in the near future.

That's great, we haven't had consecutive non-playoff seasons since '99-'00 while you guys have gone back to back to back to back to back since 2002 in that deparment.

I don't disagree with much of what you said, only the bold. We've been to the playoffs far more than 2 times since our last super bowl win. Hell, we've been there more than 2 times since our last super bowl appearance.

I don't disagree with much of what you said, only the bold. We've been to the playoffs far more than 2 times since our last super bowl win. Hell, we've been there more than 2 times since our last super bowl appearance.

Sorry, I meant Super Bowl. I'll change that.

Back
Top Bottom